PDA

View Full Version : Critique this kid-friendly hike

bigben
05-11-2010, 11:16
Tell me what you all think. This will be my 9 y/o's first more than one night backpacking trip, and his first time on the AT. I made it short and easy. Having never been on this part of the trail, if anyone knows of any cool things to see ON this section of the AT or knows of any "must camp here" spots or any other points of interest, throw them at me. Also, let me know if you'd think he'd get overly bored with this section. I got the handbook info, but comment on water and heat for this section in early July.

Day 1. Drive the 8 hrs from Cincinnati to Turner's Gap, Maryland, park the truck and camp in the Dahlgren Backpack Campground.
Day 2. Shuttle to Keys Gap and hike into Harpers Ferry, 6.2M, and check out the town, either camping somewhere close or staying at a hostel(recommendations?)
Day 3. Hike from Harpers Ferry to Ed Garvey shelter, 6.4M
Day 4. Ed Garvey shelter to Crampton Gap shelter, 4.1M
Day 5. Crampton Gap shelter to either Rocky Run shelter(5miles) or back to truck and camp at Dahlgren(7 miles), his call how far we go Days 4-5.
Day 6. Pack up, clean up, eat and go to Antietam Battlefield. Depending on how long we stay, maybe drive the 1hr 10min to Gettysburg Battlefield. If we do that, we'll either find a place to camp or goto a hotel.
Day 7. Either finish seeing Gettysburg or drive home.

If I can swing it at work, we may do this July 6-12 and drive down to meet other family on vacation at the Outer Banks.

Bigben

ki0eh
05-11-2010, 11:45
I think planning to car camp would be better than a hostel unless the kid is unusually well-behaved and gregarious.

Plan for it to be hot and sticky, likely as hot and stickier than Cincinnati.

Assuming the kid has some interest in history I would say this is an excellent choice for a first try!

bigben
05-11-2010, 12:06
Where's a good walk up camping spot in Harper's Ferry? I could always spring for a hotel if the hostel is full of partying 20somethings. I really don't want to have him explaining what pot smells like to his mom if I can help it.

He's VERY interested in history, as long as it revolves around wars. He's always wanted to go to Gettysburg. Typical 9 y/o boy.

commonwealth_hiker
05-11-2010, 12:11
That sounds like a good trip, but I would think that you are going to be surrounded by a lot of other people who have the same idea. That part of the trail (especially around Dahlgren and Annapolis Rocks) is always kind of crowded, and I would think that the holiday weekend would only exacerbate this problem. I think that the relatively low mileage that you'll be doing is wise, though, as Maryland is a little tougher than people often think.

Good luck, though, and happy hiking!

fredmugs
05-11-2010, 12:15
I would stay at the hostel. There is a room with 2 sets of bunk beds in it. They do not sell food but there is an awesome kitchen.

If you are planning to eventually go to the outer banks you may want to consider hiking in SNP because....

1. There are way stations to get food and drink.
2. I imagine a 9 y/o would love seeing a bear.
3. The trail is very easy to hike.

I have been to both battlefields and, personally, I would go to Antietam. Gettysburg is a tourist trap. Although he would enjoy Devils Den.

bigben
05-11-2010, 12:44
Haven't ruled out SNP. I've heard that it's an easy hike, but looking at the elevation profiles I have, it looks more strenuous than Maryland does. But it would be an easier drive to the Outer Banks.

So, give me the easiest 4 days and nights on the trail in SNP. 25 miles is a good target, but one we could always overshoot depending on how he's feeling that day(s). I'm really just not trying to make this hike hard, being it will be his first time hiking on the AT. I want easy and totally enjoyable.

Blissful
05-11-2010, 12:52
If you want to do SNP I think the central section is the easiest, going NOBO - Swift Run gap to Thorton gap. You will get a rock scramble, side trips to several different falls if you want, Big Meadows Wayside for a $$ burger, Stony man Mtn with rocks and views, and food at Skyland if you want. Trail is basically flat heading north to Big Meadows after Lewis Mtn

Blissful
05-11-2010, 12:53
Antietam is a great battlefield, BTW. Most realistic and not marred by sprawl, tourism etc

Doctari
05-11-2010, 16:02
I have held off suggesting this, especially if you & young one have your hearts set on the AT, how about a 5 day hike at RRG? It's closer, great views, perhaps a bit more rugged than what you have planned, but the "big loop" is only 14 miles long, with ample chances to bail if you guys need to. I also suggest a side trip to Indian Staircase. RRG is only a 3 hr drive from home, for an 9 year old, this may be a good selling point.

If interested, I can send you a pretty detailed description of the route & stuff to see along the way, including a rock house supposedly visited by Daniel Boone.

Bear Cables
05-11-2010, 18:57
What ever section or hike you choose, I hope , and it sounds like you do, you understand the 9 yo boys don't hike like adults. Make sure you take frequent breaks. When our scout troop would hike we would hike 30 min then take a standing rest to be sure all drank water. Start and then the next 30 min we would take a 10 min pack break. Lunch time was 30 min. This was with boys age 11-18 and we put the slower boys in front. It may take longer to get to your days destination but he will get there feeling like a champ. Last summer we were at Double Springs Shelter in the Smokies when 2 dads and their 2 sons hike up totally exhausted, blisters, bad moods, the dads not speaking to each other. The boys told us they had started at Newfound gap that morning. That's a long haul for 10 yo boys. Instead of hiking on as planned they hike back out the next morning. So I just saying "pace it" his pace. Hope you have a great hike. I miss hiking with my boys! (boys as in grown and married.)

Blissful
05-11-2010, 20:12
What is RRG?

JAK
05-11-2010, 20:30
It depends on how the two of you work, but with my daughter and I, I do the overall strategic planning but she takes over command and control at the tactical level. I remember when she was very young and I would say stuff like, "Stop playing around Margaret. We have to get to the playground." Then I realized how foolish that was. Then when we started hiking she would want to make hiking sticks. So now I carry a hiking stick. I pretty much let her run most things. She took over the map and compass when she was still up on my shoulders. The only time I take over is when we are running late for something serious, like a rendevous with the other wife.

A son would be different I suppose, and every parent/child relationship is different. Kids are natural explorers though. So if they stop and explore, and start playing with rocks and sticks or whatever, there is no need to hurry, because you are all ready there. Enjoy every minute. The hiking stick comes in handy for such occassions. Gives me something to lean on and take a moment to take it all in.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/JAK_45/Easter2008/Easter2008_09.jpg

bigben
05-11-2010, 23:31
I love RRG, or Red River Gorge, in KY. I go there at least a couple times a year, and I plan on doing an overnighter with him prior to us ever hitting the AT, just to "feel him out." If the weather's good and he doesn't love RRG, I'll probably scrap the AT idea this year. I did the biggest loop I could come up with lat month down there: Rough trail from 715, to Koomer Ridge to Buck to Pinch'em Tight, to Gray's Arch, back to Rough trail to Hanson's Point, camped and hiked back via the Rough trail. 15.6 miles.

wystiria
05-12-2010, 12:56
Looks like a good itenerary to me - you have lots of "bail points" and from what i remember, other than the climb out of HF everything is pretty gentle and you could take your time.

The AYH just north of town in HF off the canal path allows you to rent rooms privately. I have stayed there and enjoyed it and they expect familes. It is more family friendly than the hostel in town.

Plan to eat lunch or take some time on the rocks above HF - that will take a while to climb but there are great views up there!

the Ed Garvey shelter is great! your son will love it!

bdpalace
05-12-2010, 13:02
I have held off suggesting this, especially if you & young one have your hearts set on the AT, how about a 5 day hike at RRG? It's closer, great views, perhaps a bit more rugged than what you have planned, but the "big loop" is only 14 miles long, with ample chances to bail if you guys need to. I also suggest a side trip to Indian Staircase. RRG is only a 3 hr drive from home, for an 9 year old, this may be a good selling point.

If interested, I can send you a pretty detailed description of the route & stuff to see along the way, including a rock house supposedly visited by Daniel Boone.

+1 on what Doctari said. An 8 hour drive for a 7 day backpacking trip when your son only has 1 night under his belt may be a bit of a stretch.:-?

Of course if you do go and he's not having a great time, you can always bail and just visit the battlefields as a "normal" tourist.

ki0eh
05-12-2010, 22:58
Where's a good walk up camping spot in Harper's Ferry? I could always spring for a hotel if the hostel is full of partying 20somethings. I really don't want to have him explaining what pot smells like to his mom if I can help it.

He's VERY interested in history, as long as it revolves around wars. He's always wanted to go to Gettysburg. Typical 9 y/o boy.

C&O Canal campsite is a bit over 2 miles west of the Potomac River footbridge. http://bikewashington.org/canal/canal_e.php Possibly too far off the white blazes for you, or possibly not since the hostel is a mile off anyway.