PDA

View Full Version : AT Gear List - Complete?

Jedeye
05-11-2010, 23:17
I am finishing my AT thru hike from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin this year and thought it would be good to let you guys pick over my gear list.

It's attached as a PDF(hopefully). Please let me know if there is anything you think is important that I missed

Thank you!
Jon

Mountain Wildman
05-11-2010, 23:30
Looks pretty good, 12 pounds, awesome.
I'm sure you have Toilet paper, Duct tape, Hand sanitizer, Lip balm etc...
You may want to add an insulation layer like a Down or Synthetic jacket, Gets pretty cool at elevations in the Whites even in the summer.

Jedeye
05-11-2010, 23:50
Looks pretty good, 12 pounds, awesome.
I'm sure you have Toilet paper, Duct tape, Hand sanitizer, Lip balm etc...
You may want to add an insulation layer like a Down or Synthetic jacket, Gets pretty cool at elevations in the Whites even in the summer.
Thats a good point. I'm starting May 17th at Harpers Ferry, do you think the Whites would be the only critical time for a little extra insulation? I don't mind being chilly for a few days so if the Whites are going to be the worst of it I might just have a jacket mailed up to Vermont.

Do you think I could mail it home after that, or should I keep it throughout Maine?

Mountain Wildman
05-12-2010, 00:08
It's more than likely you would need the insulation in Maine as well, You will be able to judge better at the time you are coming through N.H. If it is really cool here it will be more so in Maine, Of course depending again on elevations and cool weather due to rain. Your pack weight is so light that the extra pound is nominal. And it is an individual decision as well, If you are prone to being cold easily you will welcome the insulation. I am heavy so I love the cooler weather up here, My mom is all of 90 pounds and she carries a sweater even on the hottest days of summer.
Right now it is 34 degrees in Gorham, I moved up here in 2008, The hottest day we have had up here was in the mid 80's, In Connecticut where my brother lives it was 103 that day.

garlic08
05-12-2010, 00:11
I don't see any insulating clothing. For your upper body you have a 3 oz tee shirt, a 3 oz wind shirt, and a 7 oz poncho, a total of 13 oz. And you have 22 oz of camera equipment. Priorities?

Jedeye
05-12-2010, 00:13
Thanks for the info Mountain Wildman! Sounds solid, will plan to take a little extra insulation up into the Whites. And to respond to your previouse post, no TP... a stick or two can get the job done ;)

Jedeye
05-12-2010, 00:16
I don't see any insulating clothing. For your upper body you have a 3 oz tee shirt, a 3 oz wind shirt, and a 7 oz poncho, a total of 13 oz. And you have 22 oz of camera equipment. Priorities?
Yeah, the camera equipment is pretty heavy. And I have decided to take a little extra insulation from the whites on.
I don't do very much sitting around, so the wind shirt, rain pants, gloves and hat do a really good job of keeping body heat close.
When I finish up for the day I bed down quick, and have a nice warm quilt.

garlic08
05-12-2010, 10:09
I have the same hiking style, very similar pack, and never (well, 99.99% of the time) wear any insulation while I'm hiking. But I'm a fairly conservative older guy who wants to get older still, and I have some vivid memories of the 0.01% of the time that a light jacket made the difference between enjoying a hike or bivouacing. I also like to have a back-up for my sleeping insulation in case the unimaginable happens and it gets lost, damaged, or wet (seen all that happen, though not to me). Good decision to carry something for the mountains. Good luck.