PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy................

cooley
05-12-2010, 02:15
Since I was a kid I have always loved camping as I got older and got married me and my wife always enjoyed primative camping over any other camping. When our parnets would "camp" with an RV we would always say that is not camping. :) Well a few years ago we got into walking trails at state parks and that became our preferance in chosing a park then we decided to hike overnight trip in Michigans UP with only two backpacks a tent, two wallyworld sleeping bags and other supplies and enjoyed it more thanany other camping experiance ever.

Well now that I am back in GA and the AT is so close and I have camped there a couple times this year and doing a thru hike of the AT has become an OBSESSION.

AM I CRAZY BECAUSE ...............................

Everyday I think about it.

Everyday I look for videos or pics of others doing it and all I can think is that they a lucky SOB's.

I look at people's trip journals and photos in order to live vicariously through thier experiance.

Last but not least is it crazy to think in one year I can hike the AT with the only experiance thus far being a weekend trip. (not meaning I am not going to go on trips this summer and fall to the AT because I am so close)

Gauguin
05-12-2010, 02:45
You are crazy, mad as a hatter and ready for the looney bin, I suffer the same problem Cooley. The worse thing is being in a job that doesn't allow you to just get up and go. Not until my contract ends. Until them all we can do is eat, sleep and drean of hiking.

Gauguin
05-12-2010, 02:47
PS: Read, or better still listen to on Audio Books, Bill Brysons, A Walk in the Woods. Great Fun!

Hiking Gauguin

www.morrisjensen.com (http://www.morrisjensen.com)

moytoy
05-12-2010, 04:22
You ARE crazy! and you end up here...go figure!

Sailor (The other one)
05-12-2010, 04:41
[QUOTE=cooley;1011782]

Everyday I look for videos or pics of others doing it and all I can think is that they a lucky SOB's.

I look at people's trip journals and photos in order to live vicariously through thier experiance.
[QUOTE]

+1

bigcranky
05-12-2010, 07:28
Yup, you got a bad case of Springer Fever.

It actually helps a lot to get out and hike sections for a long weekend or a week. That'll knock the fever down a couple of degrees, though of course there is no real cure. Not even a thru-hike.

As for your final question -- can you do a thru-hike with just one weekend overnight under your belt -- sure, you can, but why? Kinda like running a marathon after one lap around the block. You'll have a much better chance of success if you get out and do some section hikes, get your gear and clothing squared away, and have that experience to build on while you make your plans. And besides, hiking is *fun* and what's better than a fun hiking weekend? (or week, or month, or year....you get the idea.)

Ladytrekker
05-12-2010, 07:34
Ditto. Doing my first section end of May and feel as excited as if I was thru hiking. I hike all the time in Florida spend alot time on the FT, but the excitement level of the AT vs FT is not in the same ball park. Maybe we are all crazy, but I like it.

10-K
05-12-2010, 07:53
As for your final question -- can you do a thru-hike with just one weekend overnight under your belt -- sure, you can, but why? Kinda like running a marathon after one lap around the block. You'll have a much better chance of success if you get out and do some section hikes, get your gear and clothing squared away, and have that experience to build on while you make your plans. And besides, hiking is *fun* and what's better than a fun hiking weekend? (or week, or month, or year....you get the idea.)

Just my opinion based on my experience but I think being a section hiker is probably more fun than being a thru hiker in terms of enjoyment.

As a section hiker you can pick the season, the weather, the trail, the dates, etc. that you want to hike. That is a major plus in my book.

Gray Blazer
05-12-2010, 07:55
You're not crazy ... You're just like me!

warraghiyagey
05-12-2010, 08:18
Yes you are crazy. . . have a great hike. . . :sun:sun:sun

Cookerhiker
05-12-2010, 08:26
You're crazy in the eyes of most of the sedentary, career-oriented, climate-controlled world - your friends, co-workers, family, neighbors, people you meet on the street.

But you're not crazy on WB.

I echo the suggestions about section hiking first - just to get a feel for a 1-2 week hike first before taking the plunge. It's not absolutely necessary, just a suggestion.

Tin Man
05-12-2010, 08:29
crazy person walks into the asylum and asks if "HE's" crazy? :-?

Migrating Bird
05-12-2010, 08:56
Cooly, I felt the same way. In 2 1/2 weeks, I leave to hike SOBO from Mt. Katahdin. I am driving my wife, my kids and my dog nuts. My dog puked three times on a recent training hike going up Mt. Gerylock in MA. I spend so much time on WB trying to bridge the gap until I leave that I blew the power supply on my computer. Can't wait for the mud, bugs and FUN to begin. Hang in there, your time will come. The fact that you have a partner that loves hiking as much as you do is priceless. A great view is just a great view until you have someone to share it with. Best of luck, happy trails.

Bianchi Veloce
05-12-2010, 09:08
You should check out Big Red's trail journal. I don't think he had much experience.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=598

FritztheCat
05-12-2010, 09:09
No, you are totally normal. Just lilke all of us here on WB. The crazy ones are those out there who would never consider hiking.

Okay, maybe we're a little crazy. Heh!

SamXp
05-12-2010, 09:19
PS: Read, or better still listen to on Audio Books, Bill Brysons, A Walk in the Woods. Great Fun!

Hiking Gauguin

www.morrisjensen.com (http://www.morrisjensen.com)Thank you for the book recommendation! I absolutely loved Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" and just ordered a copy of this book in Hardcover and Audio CD on half.com.

sbhikes
05-12-2010, 09:56
Pack all your backpacking gear on Thursday night. Either take a half day on Friday or just have your gear in your car and leave from the office at quitting time. Drive to the trailhead and sleep there. Hike all day Saturday, hike out on Sunday, shower and back to the office on Monday. Repeat. Also do this on Thanksgiving week, the week between Christmas and New Years, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, 4th of July etc.

Lilred
05-12-2010, 10:05
Thank you for the book recommendation! I absolutely loved Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" and just ordered a copy of this book in Hardcover and Audio CD on half.com.

Another good book is "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" by J.R. Tate. I believe you can find it on Amazon.

Connie
05-12-2010, 10:58
The crazy ones are chained to their desk, convinced their life is the only way.

The sane ones have slipped their chains and sneak off to the wilderness at hand: a day sail on the bay, a walk in the woods, a hike in the mountains, canoeing a river, kayaking the shoreline, or "gone fishing".

Hiking is only the beginning of this insanity, uh, sanity.

Ladytrekker
05-12-2010, 11:18
the crazy ones are chained to their desk, convinced their life is the only way.

The sane ones have slipped their chains and sneak off to the wilderness at hand: A day sail on the bay, a walk in the woods, a hike in the mountains, canoeing a river, kayaking the shoreline, or "gone fishing".

Hiking is only the beginning of this insanity, uh, sanity.

well said.

Carbo
05-12-2010, 12:02
Some people aren't crazy. They just lead boring lives.

grayfox
05-12-2010, 12:38
Obsessed, yes-crazy, no.

Just hang out here where you are in good company.

If you are asking if you are normal then that is a different question. You are normal here.

If you are looking for a place where you feel comfortable in your own skin, there is a sign you can use. So, here's your sign:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3344/3257313590_6886b7c0e4_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11581147@N06/3257313590/in/pool-city_limits)
Instructions: Find a sign that looks lke this. Walk around it several times. Stop on the side where you feel most comfortable. Try to arrange your life so that the most time will be spent on the side of the sign that feels most comfortable to you.

SamXp
05-12-2010, 13:05
The crazy ones are chained to their desk, convinced their life is the only way.

The sane ones have slipped their chains and sneak off to the wilderness at hand: a day sail on the bay, a walk in the woods, a hike in the mountains, canoeing a river, kayaking the shoreline, or "gone fishing".

Hiking is only the beginning of this insanity, uh, sanity.Very well said. I hate that I'm only discovering this sanity at 36 years of age.

Mountain Wildman
05-12-2010, 14:03
:welcomeWelcome to the club!!!

Six-Six
05-12-2010, 14:26
Same here - but I don't think you (or me) are the crazy ones. The crazy ones are those who stay in their cubicle and never dream - never take the chance to explore the new. Be willing to take the chance - take the step into the unknown for the shear excitement of it.

I am a section hiker for now but today I announce I will be in the class of 2015! Retired or Laid-Off, one or the other.

passinBYE
05-12-2010, 15:32
You are normal, because all of us are crazy.

Graywolf
05-12-2010, 23:10
If your are ready to leave house, job, family, wife, kids, friends, and daily showers, you are ready for a hike..

No, I wouldn't think you are crazy..You seem finely normal to me....

Graywolf

cooley
05-13-2010, 14:46
Thanks everyone for the kind words and I am extremly thankful that I found this forum.

Pootz
05-13-2010, 15:02
AM I CRAZY BECAUSE ...............................

Last but not least is it crazy to think in one year I can hike the AT with the only experiance thus far being a weekend trip. (not meaning I am not going to go on trips this summer and fall to the AT because I am so close)[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the NUT HOUSE.

You already have as much experience backpacking as many who try to thru hike the AT. It is the will to succeed that helps you complete a thru hike, not experience. Experience helps with gear selection, hiking and camping, but you can figure all of that out.

One year is plenty of time. One of my thru hiking companions in 07 did not decide to thru hike until one week before she stepped on Springer. She was able to buy all of her gear and prepare all in one week. She had very little backpacking experience, and she successfully thru hiked.

Good luck

Mags
05-13-2010, 15:05
MUCH madness is divinest sense To a discerning eye;
Much sense the starkest madness.
’T is the majority In this, as all, prevails.
Assent, and you are sane;
Demur,—you ’re straightway dangerous, And handled with a chain.

:sun

solobip
05-13-2010, 17:05
Man, I thought, maybe I was the only one. But yes, you are crazy, you are just not alone.