PDA

View Full Version : 24 lbs

10-K
05-12-2010, 07:58
Not that it's of any major importance, but I've got my pack ready to head out tomorrow and with a liter of water and 3.5 days food my fully loaded pack is just a hair under 24 lbs.

A year ago this time my pack was around 32-35 lbs..

medicjimr
05-12-2010, 08:17
I am finding backpacking more enjoyable every time I go out with a lighter pack I am down from 75 lbs 3 years ago to 30-35 lbs and love it

JAK
05-12-2010, 10:42
I've lost 40 pounds over the last 16 months, through hiking and running mostly, and watching my diet. It's a tough grind to stay on top of it because the body loves to store fat. Definitely has made hiking alot easier though, especially as the muscles and joints get older. Reducing gear weight and clothing weight helps alot also. Every 10 pounds less is 10 more pounds of freedom. I go with as little as 10 pounds in Summer, about 20 pounds in Spring/Fall, and up to 30 pounds in Winter. Hey, I like round numbers.

Kerosene
05-12-2010, 10:51
Congrats guys. Having gone through a similar pack weight reduction regimen, I've found that I feel much stronger at the end of a day, and more than ready to get up and do it all over again on following days. I was carrying 40 pounds in a 7-pound Dana Terraplane when I got back to section hiking in 2000. Over the past 10 years I've whittled my Spring/Fall carry weight down to about 25 pounds with 2.5 liters of water, 3 days of supplies, and tent stuffed in a GG Nimbus Ozone. This Fall I hope to try tarping it, which should cut out another pound.

1azarus
05-12-2010, 11:47
that 10 pound reduction'll make a world of difference! congrats.

10-K
05-12-2010, 11:53
that 10 pound reduction'll make a world of difference! congrats.

Yeah, I was thinking I could put the hammock in there and still be under 30 lbs.. :)

Saffirre8
05-12-2010, 11:53
yeah, i am still humping 48 lbs on my last hike. its not that bad after a while, but my gluteus maximus might tell you a different story....hahaha

10-K
05-12-2010, 11:55
yeah, i am still humping 48 lbs on my last hike. its not that bad after a while, but my gluteus maximus might tell you a different story....hahaha

It's definitely a process.

If you want to get lighter you most certainly can - but you know - it's not a requirement. As long as you're happy and having fun - that's all that matters.

Blissful
05-12-2010, 12:06
One liter of water is not a lot at all. You'll be stopping quite a bit. Hope you got water sources pegged out.

Its also colder in NE and had recent snow ( my in-laws had snow in upstate NY). Temps will moderate eventually, but just to let you know, I'd be ready for cold nights.

wystiria
05-12-2010, 12:39
Congrats! You will enjoy the lesser weight!!!

I have my base pack down to 12.5 lbs for the shoulder season (spring/Fall in the NE) so now i can "go nuts" with good food :)

Carried 22 this past weekend on a section from CT >NY with temps in the 30's at night and 2 liters of water. it makes the trail so much more enjoyable

scope
05-12-2010, 12:52
Yeah, I was thinking I could put the hammock in there and still be under 30 lbs.. :)

You got a 6lb hammock? :D;)

My last trip I was 25lbs after being around 35 for the last few years. I've finally learned to not bring so much food and other little goodies, I think the main culprit. :rolleyes:

scope
05-12-2010, 12:54
oh, and that is with the hammock setup BTW.

10-K
05-12-2010, 12:56
One liter of water is not a lot at all. You'll be stopping quite a bit. Hope you got water sources pegged out..

I generally start with 1 liter, but I have the capacity to carry as many as 4. According to the guidebooks water shouldn't be an issue.

Got clothes for cooler weather too... I am not prepared for February weather mind you, but I'm comfortable down to the upper 30's and could survive down to freezing if I had too.

passinBYE
05-12-2010, 15:35
It is not my pack that needs to be lighter, it is me.lol.

1azarus
05-12-2010, 15:47
oh gosh! oh golly! i was trying to be (uncharacteristically) appropriate and not ask if you were taking the hammock. glad to hear you are. i think you'll enjoy it. i was thinking about your earlier comments about the painful learning curve for hammocks and thought i should let you know that i feel your pain -- i'm on my third hammock, and just ordered another new tarp. i'm getting ready to start making my next learning curve mistakes around the tarp lines, which i've never really focused on before. my guess is i enjoy the pack-tweaking almost as much as the pack-carrying. well, i can't carry the pack every day, but i can daydream about equipment any old time!

10-K
05-12-2010, 15:54
oh gosh! oh golly! i was trying to be (uncharacteristically) appropriate and not ask if you were taking the hammock.

I hope you wont' think any less of me, but I've got the lunar solo in the pack. The hammock and associated accessories would bring me up to around 27-28 lbs.

It's tempting, it really is.

tiptoe
05-12-2010, 16:53
happy trails, 10-K.

1azarus
05-12-2010, 17:10
I hope you wont' think any less of me, but I've got the lunar solo in the pack. The hammock and associated accessories would bring me up to around 27-28 lbs.

It's tempting, it really is.

only my in-laws (occasionally) piss me off. i love all hikers.:)

don't change now!!! enjoy!!! hope to see you on the trail!!!

Carabiner Queen
05-12-2010, 18:06
Grrrr... I just weighed my pack and I'm at 43lbs for 4 days !!!! I have enough food to just sustain me, 4 ltrs of water, tent, sleeping bag... *** ????

Mrs Baggins
05-12-2010, 19:28
Got mine down from 38 lbs in 2007 to 24 lbs now. 'Course lightening the pack also lightened the wallet - considerably. New pack, new sleeping pad, new sleeping bag, new stove, new bowl, new cup, new clothes, new water bladder.............but live and learn. Live to carry the too heavy pack, learn to buy lighter stuff. :)

Wolf - 23000
05-13-2010, 00:12
Compare to leaving on my very first thru-hike, my pack totally weight dropped 80 - 90 pounds. I did everything wrong starting off. It took me about 2 months before figuring everything out and travel with a much lighter pack.

Wolf

solobip
05-13-2010, 17:23
Great, I am still at 32 lbs But that is down from the 45- 50 I have done in my youth. When I get my SMD Dou like you I will be down to about 29 lb. :-)

Bear Cables
05-13-2010, 20:14
Interesting that the day I read your post I was in the process of weighing everything in my pack. I am leaving on June 1 for my section hike of 46 miles and a lighter load is on my check list. I am down to just about 18 -19 lbs. (haven't added my map, guide pages and SPOT yet.) Hopefully I can keep my food , fuel and water under 10 lbs and stay sub 30. I remember when I started hiking 14 years ago my pack weighed in at 48 lbs! I'm sure there are items that some ultra light packers would scoff at but I know what I need and want to be comfortable and feel safe.