PDA

View Full Version : AT loop sugguestion

Joker4ink
05-12-2010, 10:17
Hey guys, next month I have 3 days to go backpacking and I would like to be on some of the AT. Do you have any sugguestions for a 30-40 mile loop (going solo)? Pretty much anything within 3 hours of any CT border would be good. Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks, Steve

Ender
05-12-2010, 10:19
I'd suggest Harriman St. Park in NY. There are tons of trails there and you can easily plan out a 3 day loop that also includes the AT.

johnnyblisters
05-12-2010, 10:42
Kent, CT to Salisbury CT would be a good solo loop. Easy to get a hitch back to either town and great walking. Wherever you end up, happy trails!

sixhusbands
05-12-2010, 11:18
There is a 31 mile loop in the White Mountains that is partly on the AT. The Pemi' Loop starts and ends at Lincoln Woods parking lot and can be done easily in 3 days. Some hard core folks do it in one day ,but there is so much of the trail above the treeline that it is better to take the time to look around. The trail climbs over 8 of the higher peaks ( those over 4000 ft) and the section of the AT is from Mt Liberty to just the other side of South Twin where it heads to Zealand Falls. My favorite section of this loop is the Bondcliff portion. All above the treeline and 360 views of most of the White Mountains. There are plenty of places to camp along the trek, Guyot Shelter, Garfield Ridge Shelter, Liberty Springs Shelter and if you want to have a bed and warm meals there are is 2 AMC Huts. Galehead and Greenleaf .

Good luck

wystiria
05-12-2010, 12:46
Hello Neighbor! Have you already done the CT section? becasue you can get a shuttle and do a one-way to your car. I definitely reccomend including the Salisbury CT through to Rt 20 Lee MA in your thoughts. (assuming you haven't done it)

I love the Pemi-loop mentioned in the PP.

There are some really great loop opportunities in the Greylock Mnt. section of northern MA.

Feral Bill
05-12-2010, 13:09
I'll second Harriman. Get the NYNJTC maps and take your pick of routes. Good public transport access expands the possibilities. I would include a night at West Mountain for the great views.

Ender
05-12-2010, 13:33
I'll second Harriman. Get the NYNJTC maps and take your pick of routes. Good public transport access expands the possibilities. I would include a night at West Mountain for the great views.

Totally agree about West Mountain... that shelter has amazing views. I've stayed there a few times. Last time I was there we could see NYC far in the distance, and to the left of it a lightning storm. It was fantastic.

wystiria
05-12-2010, 14:15
I agree on West mountain - though you have to carry in water. The last time I was there the shelter was being slowly eaten by Carpenter Bees - is that still true?

Joker4ink
05-13-2010, 01:03
Those are some great suggestions and I have heard nothing but good things about Harriman. Im going to have to take a look into all of the suggestions.

Hello Neighbor! Have you already done the CT section? becasue you can get a shuttle and do a one-way to your car. I definitely reccomend including the Salisbury CT through to Rt 20 Lee MA in your thoughts. (assuming you haven't done it)

I love the Pemi-loop mentioned in the PP.

There are some really great loop opportunities in the Greylock Mnt. section of northern MA.

Unforunately I only completed 20 miles when a friend and I went out. We hit some bad weather and decided to give it a shot at another point...hopefully soon though!

As far as Greylock, I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe it was the route I took since it was a day hike, maybe it was the abused trails, maybe it was that large amount of people on the trail. Im not 100% sure. Either way, its always a good day when you are out on the trail!

wystiria
05-13-2010, 12:38
You should definitely check out the Bear Mountain/Sages Ravine/Everet area its gorgeous.

I enjoyed Greylock but we hit it on a year when the road was closed to the top. I am sure that significantly influenced our experience. We also hit the blue blazes to find the waterfalls on the north west of the mountain.

if you are willing to work with a shuttler you can pretty much do just about anysection as a one way :) makes it much easier!

Anyway I am in the town nextdoor and glad to see a fellow hiker!

wystiria
05-13-2010, 12:40
hmmm and one more thing -if you don't like lots of people I would beware of Hariman. you might want to make sure to plan for middle of the week or at least not a holiday weekend.