PDA

View Full Version : Katadan

horicon
05-12-2010, 11:42
Can you climb Katadan during the winter?? December 21 to March 21??

Red Hat
05-12-2010, 12:00
Katahdin... if you can't spell it don't climb it... wait till end of May at least

Funkmeister
05-12-2010, 12:03
You may climb the mountain in the winter. In early March I met at least eight other people ascending on the same day as I.

Interesting views this time of year.

weary
05-12-2010, 12:57
There are special winter rules, but many climb the mountain every winter. I've been above timberline on Katahdin in winter several times. But only once did I summit. Other times we were driven back by high winds, white out conditions, time constraints etc. It's rugged mountain, in all seasons. Winter is just a special challenge.

Weary

emerald
05-12-2010, 14:52
A common variant spelling of Katahdin employed most notably by Henry D. Thoreau as title of his essay included in his posthumous The Maine Woods.:cool:

The Weasel
05-12-2010, 15:34
Katahdin... if you can't spell it don't climb it... wait till end of May at least

Unnecessarily rude. Indian names can have a lot of variants. Is it Ojibwe? Chippewa? Ojibwa? Mohican? Mohegan?

And if every post with a mis-spelling were deleted, this would be a very empty site. Including your post, of course; "till" is a kind of cash drawer. If you meant "until" well, perhaps you shouldn't live in a glass house.

TW

DapperD
05-12-2010, 19:57
Can you climb Katadan during the winter?? December 21 to March 21??I believe you can, but not if the park authorities deem the climbing conditions at that time to be unsafe.

Mags
05-12-2010, 21:33
Here you go...

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingWinter.html

TIDE-HSV
05-12-2010, 23:20
Unnecessarily rude. Indian names can have a lot of variants. Is it Ojibwe? Chippewa? Ojibwa? Mohican? Mohegan?

And if every post with a mis-spelling were deleted, this would be a very empty site. Including your post, of course; "till" is a kind of cash drawer. If you meant "until" well, perhaps you shouldn't live in a glass house.

TW

"Till" is also in dictionaries and it's more common usage in the South than "until." The usage comes into English from the Danelaw. In shops in Norway, the time is always posted on the front door as ___ til ___. In Denmark, it's the same, except, as best I remember, they spell it as "till."

D-wreck
05-13-2010, 12:56
Katahdin... if you can't spell it don't climb it...

I miss hiking with Redhat! :)

DavidNH
05-13-2010, 14:26

Climbing Mt Katahdin is serious winter mountaineering. You need to be equipped for conditions similar to MT Washington in Winter and it is far more remote.

Finally, and most importantly, you will need a permit. Google Baxter State Park and check their website.

David