PDA

View Full Version : OK to park across from Mt Rogers NRA Headquarters?

ToeJam
05-12-2010, 12:18
Doing a week-long section hike coming up soon, driving down from NY and won't be arriving til after hours of the NRA office and will be on the trail before they open the next day. This will make us unable to get a permit to park IN their parking lot since you can only get them during business hours and the gates are locked on off hours.

However, I am told by the lady there that, "If you intend to leave your car within our gates at our office, you must get a permit during our office hours of 8-4:30 Monday through Friday. You cannot come in after hours because our gates are locked. If you cannot get here during our office hours, you can park directly across from our gates in a pull-off along the highway. Several people have done this for an extended period of time with no problems." So it's technically ok, but looking for local opinions?

Anyone have an opinion on this and agree or disagree? This is where we plan to end, ie. hike back to, so we will be catching a shuttle back to before Damascus when we arrive to be dropped off and start our section.

Hate worrying about all these bothersome logistics - I just want to get out there and get HIKING! :) But would be a nice added bonus if our car is intact when we return.

TIA ~

Jack Tarlin
05-12-2010, 12:27
I've been told the same thing.

And if you were indeed informed of this by someone who works there, it'd seem to me that it's OK.

Cedar Tree
05-12-2010, 12:29
I've left my truck there on a couple of hikes without problems, but only for 2 nights at a time. I think it is pretty safe.
Cedar Tree

ToeJam
05-12-2010, 12:34
Thanks, guys. Was trying to look at the area from overhead with Bing maps and it does look like a pretty small pulloff, but not a super busy road I am guessing. We've been lucky so far, so here's hopin'!

Jeff
05-12-2010, 12:54
To be really safe call Happy Hiker Hollow (276-783-3754) in Atkins. They will allow you to park at their hostel. You would need to pay for a shuttle to Mr Rogers HQ but the price is quite reasonable. Well worth the safety of your car. I would highly encourage you to stay with them at the beginning or end of your section hike. Meals are first class and AYCE.

Blissful
05-12-2010, 15:13
That's what we were told also, but as it turned out, we didn't need to park there. The people had the headquarters are great. One lady there went over and beyond the call of duty, walking out to Partnership shelter to give me updated directions for my hubby to rt 601 coming from Marion (and saved him a bunch of time and dirty roads). I was so impressed.

bulldog49
05-12-2010, 15:19
The road has a bit of a curve at that location and the pull-off is not that large. Why not leave your car in Damascus and take the shuttle to NRA Hdqtrs? I never feel safe leaving my car in such a location.

ToeJam
05-12-2010, 15:30
Hmmm, well this is where our section will actually end, and we have learned over the years that it's simplest for us to leave our vehicle at the end, so we don't have to worry about a shuttle back to somewhere when we finish. That way it doesn't matter if we come through at 10 in the morning or 11 at night. We don't have to worry about anyone else's schedule and can just get in our car and go. So we leave the car here at the end, and then get a shuttle back to where we are starting (TN91, south of Damascus). It can be a pain though, sometimes...

peakbagger
05-13-2010, 07:46
We parked a car there for similiar purposes years ago. I dont remember feeling it was unsafe. There is a lot of traffic that goes by plus there are usually hikers hanging out front of the headquarters waiting for the various food deliveries that can be ordered via the payphone at the headquarters.

SawnieRobertson
05-13-2010, 08:03
Your car will not be guaranteed safe, but, if your car is a victim of vandals or stolen from that pull off, it will be a first. Even though I know that, I'd prefer not to leave mine there. If you would feel better having it watched over but with the watch bird taking no responsibility in case something should happen to it, you are welcome to leave it on my home property, which is 5.1 miles from Mt. Rogers HQ. All the other suggestions are also good.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
05-13-2010, 08:04
Your car will not be guaranteed safe, but, if your car is a victim of vandals or stolen from that pull off, it will be a first. Even though I know that, I'd prefer not to leave mine there. If you would feel better having it watched over but with the watch bird taking no responsibility in case something should happen to it, you are welcome to leave it on my home property, which is 5.1 miles from Mt. Rogers HQ. All the other suggestions are also good.--Kinnickinic

That goes for the rest of you too.--Kinnickinic:welcome

max patch
05-13-2010, 08:57
They open at 8:00 am, right? If it was me I'd get a good breakfast in town and get there when they opened.

Rain Man
05-13-2010, 11:40
... you are welcome to leave it on my home property, which is 5.1 miles from Mt. Rogers HQ. All the other suggestions are also good.--Kinnickinic

I've left vehicles at Kinnickinic's place. She's a super lady! I also agree about using Happy Hiker Hollow. If it were me, I'd arrange to have my car shuttled TO the Mt. Rogers NRA spot on the last day of my hike, so it would be there when I finished, but never over-night. I've done that several times with good results.

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
05-13-2010, 11:46
Here are photos of Mt. Rogers NRA, me (in green) and Kinnickinic (in red) at Grayson Highlands, and Fishbone at Happy Hiker Hollow. Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan

SawnieRobertson
05-13-2010, 22:37
Thank you, Rain Man. Since nothing has been said, I take it that you and your family were not among the victims of the floods at Nashville. That is good.--Kinnickinic