PDA

View Full Version : Scott's Farm (Carlisle, PA) to Duncannon, PA

Hurricane Bob
05-12-2010, 15:54
As part of the Backpacking Merit Badge, 7 Scouts & leaders just completed this trek over three days last weekend (05/09/10). Started at Scott's Farm (outside Carlisle, PA) and hiked to Duncannon.

No problem leaving two cars at the farm Friday night thru Sunday morning.

Trail was well marked and easy to follow to Darlington Shelter. Lots of relatively flat and open area around this shelter to set up tents. There was water in the spring by the shelter the night we were there. (05/07/10)

Only issue at the shelter were the two local guys who brought up a case of beer (w/ ice!) and some weed to smoke. Besides having an open fire when it is prohibited, chopping wood at 11:30 PM, and leaving broken glass in the fire ring, they were pleasant enough guys. (Yes, we camped as far away from them as we could). This experience provided us with a great opportunity to discuss LNT principles, the environment, and common courtesy. Wasnt really a bad experience...

The trail to Miller's Gap is easy to follow, not too rough, and follows a nice creek. We then started our climb up Cove Mountain crossing an unnamed creek and refilled our water there. Took our lunch just short of the pipeline (great view of the Susquehanna River from there). However, the weather was both unpleasantly windy and cold.

We arrived at the Cove Mountain Shelter around 5 PM. We were joined by 3 thru-hiking sisters and one section hiker with a dog. There is no flat ground for tents here, but a couple of us set up tents so there was room in the shelter. Worked out fine. Also, there is plenty of water at the spring here.

The steep .10 mile climb up the hill from the shelter on Sunday morning was a good jump start to the day. We completed our trek a couple hours later in Duncannon. We had our pick up point at "6 Inn Road" (GPS).

It was great to see the scouts develop self-confidence and enthusiasm as they conquered their fears, overcame their aches, and accomplished this trek. Only 2 more 15 milers and a 30 miler to go!

ShakeyLeggs
05-12-2010, 17:56
Yea have done that section many times. Always an enjoyable hike. I see you are in Carlisle, same here. Lot of great hiking within a very short drive.

Blissful
05-12-2010, 18:32
Hats off to Carlisle where I spent an unexpected overnight at the hospital. Great people

ki0eh
05-12-2010, 21:41
:welcome to WB Hurricane Bob! Glad you had a good hike despite the not so good weather. Where are the Scouts going next?

Hurricane Bob
05-13-2010, 09:13
ki0eh, our next trek takes us back to the AT from PA94 just outside of Mount Holly Springs south thru Pine Grove Furnace State Park to the vicinity of Dead Womand Hollow Road. We will start on Friday afternoon, 21 May and finish Sunday, 23 May. Should be slighly more than 15 miles. Am a little concerned though...our crew will be about 10 folks. A little large for my preferences. Hopefully there is plenty of room for tents around both James Fry and Tom's Run Shelters.

ShakeyLeggs
05-13-2010, 11:45
ki0eh, our next trek takes us back to the AT from PA94 just outside of Mount Holly Springs south thru Pine Grove Furnace State Park to the vicinity of Dead Womand Hollow Road. We will start on Friday afternoon, 21 May and finish Sunday, 23 May. Should be slighly more than 15 miles. Am a little concerned though...our crew will be about 10 folks. A little large for my preferences. Hopefully there is plenty of room for tents around both James Fry and Tom's Run Shelters.

There are plenty of sites at James Fry. Just go down hill from the shelter and you will find plenty of space. Tom's Run will be tight but doable.

TD55
05-13-2010, 12:03
Good job Bob.

Hurricane Bob
05-14-2010, 08:29
Thanks, Shakey! You just saved me a bunch of time running a recon of these shelters before the hike.

ki0eh
05-14-2010, 11:05
PA 94 is far from the best scenario parking-wise. There is a relatively new parking area on PA 34 where an industrial building used to be, and honestly you're not missing much scenery-wise between 34 and 94. Gives you a shorter walk in to the James Fry area too (I would add that "down the hill" means just past the shelter in the direction of the spring for more tent sites, from what I recall) since I remember from Scouts that a Friday afternoon sendoff gets much later the more people involved. Don't be tempted to drink water from Tagg Run itself.

I assume you're trying to hit a mileage target so I would think extending the hike further south would be better. Big Flat on Arendtsville-Shippensburg Rd (the north end of that road is Queen St at the Sheetz in Ship) has a good parking area.

Hurricane Bob
05-17-2010, 10:54
ki0eh, thanks again for the sound advice. I appreciate you taking the time to share. The good news is we aren't starting exactly on PA 94. We will be dropped off on Sheet Iron Roof Road just North of the intersection of PA94. Given the lateness of our Friday start and the distance requirements for the merit badge, we need to start out there so we dont have to hike more than 10 miles on Saturday. As for water, we have MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filters so I think we should be ok.

Also, I recon'd the start and finish. Glad I did. Our orignial plan had the vehicles picking us up at the intersection of the AT and Dead Woman Hollow Road. I dscovered that DHW Rd is posted for snowmobiles only. Now, we plan to hike down Woodrow Rd and get picked up at Centerville Road. Should work out at about 17 or 18 miles total.

I cant wait for the weekend!!

Hurricane Bob
05-27-2010, 18:11
Just an update on our past trek...

Our trek went well despite rain from Saturday PM through completion on Sunday AM. It turned out to be about 20 miles total vice the 18 we anticipated. No biggie, just interesting...

Trail is well marked with lots of ups and downs but fewer rocky sections than the Northern part of the AT in Pa.

We camped in the vicinity of James Fry Shelter where we met a couple of really super thru hikers who took the time to share their experiences and some inspiration with the Scouts. The site was clean, but we could hear lots of traffic noise until late.

The second night we stayed in the vicinity of Toms Run Shelter (about 11 miles from Fry) where a group of 10 youth were camping along with 6 section hikers. It was quite the crowd, but everyone was considerate of each other and were friendly. However, it rained buckets all evening and the next day.

On Saturday, we did hike to Pole Steeple Rocks. It was a super cloudy day, but was a nice place for lunch and seeing some of the valley below.

On Sunday, we treked to Woodrow Rd and then down to Centerville Rd. Was a very wet hike in a pouring rain - a memorable event for the scouts and really helped reinforce "be prepared". Despite an initial loss of enthusiasm, they picked up their spirits and took advantage of the situation to discuss the nicer parts of the experience. I was impressed.

Our next trek will continue from 4-6 June going south from Woodrow Rd to PA 30. Only 15 miles or so, but good enough!

Happy Trails...

ki0eh
05-27-2010, 19:02
Good lessons in life to keep going - best to you and to the Scouts! We'll hope for good weather in that area that weekend, especially for you, and the AT Museum Grand Opening!