PDA

View Full Version : Hiking after a total knee replacement

Lone Wolf 56
05-12-2010, 19:22
I had a total knee replacement the beginning of March 2010, I am wondering if anyone has gone hiking after a total knee replacement. I am hoping to be strong enough to go after July 4th on the Ga. section. How realistic does this sound? I am progressing in my strenght rebuilding and walking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blissful
05-12-2010, 20:16
Your Dr and PT therapist are your best resources on whether you are ready or not. Better yet, a sports Dr.

peakbagger
05-13-2010, 07:34
There is a hiker in my area on viewsfromthetop.com named silverfox. He had a TNR in early 2009 and finished a round of the NH 4000 footers this past winter with no issues. It may be worth running a search for his posts and reviewing them as there was a lot of good advice. I beleive that his new knee has removable inserts so that when he wears them out, they can install new inserts rather than haveing to replace the entire knee

JAK
05-13-2010, 07:46
I would suggest building your walking mileage slowly, following the advice of your doctor and physiotherapist of course. Lose whatever body weight you can also. Less weight, less harm. Less harm, more opportunity for your body to rebuild stronger tissue. Even when you are older, bone and ligament and tendon and muscle tissue does get constantly tearing down and rebuilt in response to exercise. You just have to provide the exercise and rest and nutrition in such a way that your body doesn't get too carried away with the tearing down part. Ask your physiotherapist about what strengthening and stretching exercises you should do, and how much walking. I would do all the walking without any extra weight, even as you get closer to your hiking. Hills and body weight will provide enough resistance.

I would also suggest making whatever walking you can do a pleasant activity, rather than exercise. You might be limited in how much you can do, so get the most enjoyment you can out of it. Do it on trails and scenic routes, rather than like a rat on a treadmill. I think your body will respond more positively to this more natural stimulus also. Just a crackpot theory of mine. Best regards.

sixhusbands
05-13-2010, 08:17
My wife had her knee replaced in 2004 and the following summer we spent 4 days hiking the high peaks in the White Mountains. She had no problems climging up but we deicded to take the shuttle down Mt Washington. I carried the bulk of the weight and she had just her sleeping bag and essentilas , about 12 lbs.
Her doctor and physical therapist told her that it is up to her as to what she could do. She had her other knee done in January and she wants to climb Mt.Marcy by the end of summer. By the way she just turned 60 and has the heart of a lion!

Lone Wolf 56
05-13-2010, 13:49
Thanks for the info and feedback, I am trying to build my strength up so that maybe I can go hiking later this summer or fall. Originally I wanted to go right after July 4th, but not sure if that is a realistic exceptation on my part.

horicon
05-14-2010, 13:22
Contact tour Dr and PT therapist. Tell nthem what you are doing. I finally start to "Hike". Whatch the weight that you are carrying and bring hiking poles.

TIDE-HSV
05-16-2010, 00:33
Thanks for the info and feedback, I am trying to build my strength up so that maybe I can go hiking later this summer or fall. Originally I wanted to go right after July 4th, but not sure if that is a realistic exceptation on my part.

I'm sitting with my leg elevated from my fourth knee surgery and they're beginning to talk about TKR with me also. I've just observed that there seems to be a wide variation in recovery from that operation. A lot depends on how much of the original knee could be retained (LCL, MCL, etc.), and, unfortunately, on the skill of the surgeon. You certainly sound motivated as a rehabber, and that's a huge plus. As said above, your PT should be able to give you guidance (even more than your doc), and testing it should tell you something also...

Lone Wolf 56
05-17-2010, 11:12
I'm sitting with my leg elevated from my fourth knee surgery and they're beginning to talk about TKR with me also. I've just observed that there seems to be a wide variation in recovery from that operation. A lot depends on how much of the original knee could be retained (LCL, MCL, etc.), and, unfortunately, on the skill of the surgeon. You certainly sound motivated as a rehabber, and that's a huge plus. As said above, your PT should be able to give you guidance (even more than your doc), and testing it should tell you something also...

It wasn't but a few of weeks ago that my own knee was being was elevated. I had 3 arthroscopic surgeries, the last one being done by the V.A. in Birmingham in Oct 08.
Hiking the AT has been a life long dream of mine, so that is my motovation. I will only be able to section hike, but I want to be able to do the Ga. section this year if possible.

My pain level had gotten to where it was a 10 24/7, so this little rehab pain that I have now is nothing but a noosance. I had severe bone on bone pain. Now my pain is, WHAT PAIN? LOL.

My therapy is over, the V.A. only did it for 8 weeks in-home. I did discuss it with my PT and he had his doubts as to whether I will be up to it. I can only say that my goals are to hike, maybe I can't, but without a goal to strive for, to live for, it may never happen.

I wish you a speedy recovery in your knee rehab and hopefully your pain will be demenished from what it was.

Spirit Walker
05-17-2010, 11:23
Lone Wolf 56 -

My husband had a TKR in November of 2008. He was really diligent in rehab. We started really really slow, but worked to increase mileage day by day. Six months later, in May 2009 we were on the PCT. He hiked about 400 miles before his other knee started giving him problems that required arthoscopic surgery. So far in 2010 we've hiked over 600 miles.

July may be a bit soon for any long hikes - but you should be able to start hiking again this year.

Lone Wolf 56
05-19-2010, 00:49
Lone Wolf 56 -

My husband had a TKR in November of 2008. He was really diligent in rehab. We started really really slow, but worked to increase mileage day by day. Six months later, in May 2009 we were on the PCT. He hiked about 400 miles before his other knee started giving him problems that required arthoscopic surgery. So far in 2010 we've hiked over 600 miles.

July may be a bit soon for any long hikes - but you should be able to start hiking again this year.

Thanks Spirit Walker, at least I know it can be accomplished by some. That is encouraging to know and something to look forward to.