PDA

View Full Version : Swannee River/ White Springs

Shannan
05-12-2010, 22:27
I am planning a hike on 5/21 to 5/23 and I am solo until someone joins me.
My plan is to hike the FL trail from the parking area at Holton Creek WMA to White springs. This is along the Swannee River. I hope to start around noon on friday and end up in White Springs on Sunday. This can be changed some if it is too many miles for anyone who wants to join. Let me know.

Gray Blazer
05-12-2010, 23:40
What highway and city are near Holton Creek?

Shannan
05-13-2010, 05:40
It is on map #14. Holton is near CR249/Adams Grade Rd. off of I-75

Shannan
05-13-2010, 05:42
And City. This section is Just north of Live Oak.

Ladytrekker
05-13-2010, 08:21
What highway and city are near Holton Creek?

Holten Creek is about 12 miles west of Suwannee River State Park and or Ellaville. It is on the north side of the river. The hike from Holton to White Springs is about 30 miles. I hike that area all the time. Beautiful hike with its entirety along the Suwannee River.

Ladytrekker
05-13-2010, 08:24
I usually try to find a white sandy beach to camp on and put my tent up right by the water. The Suwannee is my favorite river I have hiked about 30 miles of it and have kayaked about 90 miles of it, so I can probably help with questions if needed.

chiefduffy
05-13-2010, 13:38
I am planning a hike on 5/21 to 5/23 and I am solo until someone joins me.
My plan is to hike the FL trail from the parking area at Holton Creek WMA to White springs. This is along the Swannee River. I hope to start around noon on friday and end up in White Springs on Sunday. This can be changed some if it is too many miles for anyone who wants to join. Let me know.

One of my favorite sections. Have to pass this time, tho. Darn it!

- Duffy

Gray Blazer
05-13-2010, 14:22
This is one of my fave spots on the Suwannee ... a little east of Spirit of the Suwanne.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/bardin_booger_woods_160.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21811&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Kinda steep for setting up your tent. Great for running down the hill and jumping in the river.

I don't think I can make it this time. Knee is acting up.

Shannan
05-13-2010, 20:40
I am definately bring my shorts for swimming.

Ladytrekker
05-13-2010, 21:28
This is one of my fave spots on the Suwannee ... a little east of Spirit of the Suwanne.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/bardin_booger_woods_160.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21811&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Kinda steep for setting up your tent. Great for running down the hill and jumping in the river.

I don't think I can make it this time. Knee is acting up.

The Suwannee River is one of Florida's treasures.

JaxHiker
05-16-2010, 23:22
I'm thinking about making this my next section hike. This week's AT hike didn't go so well and I need to make up for it or I won't have a good year. :-)

Shannan
05-16-2010, 23:37
I'm thinking about making this my next section hike. This week's AT hike didn't go so well and I need to make up for it or I won't have a good year. :-)

Well let's go. I don't have any full committments yet. Let me know. I am gong to bring my new Hennesey Hammock and try it out on this hike. I will sleep good or be one tired puppy at the end.

chiefduffy
05-17-2010, 09:39
I'm gonna try to make this one. I'm not sure if I can get the time off, and it's gonna be hot.........but I gotta hike!!!

- Duffy

Shannan
05-20-2010, 07:55
Well, its official. I stepped in hole yesterday and kindof twisted my ancle. It didn't hurt too bad and I walked on it the rest of the day and it seemed ok. This morning my knee and ancle are slowing me way down. I am not going to be able to do 35 miles. I have planned this for a month now, this is so disappointing. I am just gonna try to get thru the days work up here and head home in the morning. Sorry all.

Gray Blazer
05-20-2010, 08:48
Sorry to hear that.

Someone needs to put together a north FL WB get-together for next winter (best time to hike in FL) on the Suwanee.

chiefduffy
05-20-2010, 11:34
Sorry to hear that.

Someone needs to put together a north FL WB get-together for next winter (best time to hike in FL) on the Suwanee.

Thanks for volunteering, Gray Blazer!:eek:

Sorry to hear, Shannon. Looking forward to a hike in the fall or winter, when conditions are less freaking hot/humid/buggy! (It's kayak time in north FLA.)

- Duffy

Gray Blazer
05-20-2010, 12:14
Thanks for volunteering, Gray Blazer!:eek:

- Duffy

Instead of a Big Foot Vigil at Etoniah? I could do that.

JaxHiker
05-20-2010, 15:24
Sorry you got injured. Too many things going on this weekend for me to get anywhere fun. :(

Rocket
05-20-2010, 15:47
Instead of a Big Foot Vigil at Etoniah? I could do that.

Did I hear Bigfoot Vigil at Etoniah??? Come on March 14th!!:banana

Gray Blazer
05-20-2010, 21:33
Did I hear Bigfoot Vigil at Etoniah??? Come on March 14th!!:banana
Next year or do I have to rent a time machine?

Rocket
05-21-2010, 06:19
Next year or do I have to rent a time machine?

NASA is retiring our time machines, so 2011 it is!

Speakeasy TN
07-11-2010, 16:58
HMMMM 30 miles on the Sewanee. Now that sounds like a nice winter hike.

Shannan
06-14-2011, 21:56
Ok I am planning this hike again.
I plan to start on the 30th and end on the 3rd of July
I have not planned anything for work that might get me hurt before the hike.
I will also need a ride back to White Springs after so I can get back to my car.

Lord Helment
06-14-2011, 22:11
the suwannee is near record lows...the fires are burning...it's nasty hot and humid...why the heck would you want to hike here....i'm heading to maine @ the end of june...hope to be in georgia around thanksgiving.......if you go...hope you have a great hike....better in january or february though

Shannan
06-14-2011, 22:27
record lows is good for me.
I will look for sharks teeth and arrow heads and stuff.....

It is hot but this is the only time my kids are out of town for a good bit of time.
Good luck on the trail. I hope to do it someday...... Probably when I retire.

JaxHiker
06-15-2011, 09:51
I understand having to work within your kids' schedule but I don't envy you hiking in all this smoke. Jax is horrible right now. Hopefully that area is somewhat clear. Beautiful section for sure.

Lord Helment
06-15-2011, 10:04
shannan.....hope you have a great hike......thanks for your well wishes on my hike...been dreaming about it for over 20 years...my 28 year old daughter is going with me which makes it the best......started her backpacking at 8 years old....i canoed the suwannee from fargo to the gulf in 2008...great trip.....i recommend a nice sandy beach...which there will be plenty of with the low water....i wish you clean air and a fabulous trip.....

Shannan
06-15-2011, 23:19
I have my girls hiking with me too. They like it. I like to get out by myself sometimes and find good spots for us to go.
I didn't know there was a smoke issue up there. Can someone close to White Springs or in that area let me know where fires are burning?
Hopefully the rain tonight helped and didn't start too many more lightning fires.
I looked for a fire or smoke map of florida and the Div of Forestry has something they call a smoke site but I didn't figure out how to navigate it properly.

lilricky
06-16-2011, 00:04
I have some friends that live near the Suwannee River State Park, they are saying that the smoke seems to be clearing slowly, but still enough to cause your eye's to burn. Hopefully it will clear completely by the 30th. I was there before the fires started up, nice hiking weather, but both the Suwannee and the Withlacoochee were very low. But you're right, good for finding shark teeth.

lilricky
06-16-2011, 00:07
Give the Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park a call at (386) 397-2733, they're in White Springs and can most likely give you a report on the conditions.

Shannan
06-16-2011, 05:37
Thanks, I will do that.

JaxHiker
06-16-2011, 09:41
As of 8am this morning there are 422 wildfires burning throughout Florida. Most of them are along the Atlantic coast in counties such as Flagler and Volusia. However, other counties such as Gulf, Levy, Bradford, and Osceola (to name a few) are likewise affected. Click the image to view full-size.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/4/3/8/fire-whitesprings_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=46949&c=720)