PDA

View Full Version : VA maps

Cohu
05-13-2010, 00:14
Is it possible to get VA maps as you hike NB out of Damascus. I can't seem to figure out what the whole set of Virginia maps weighs but I would rather not carry it all at once. So what towns would be good for getting maps? Or conversely you could tell me what the whole set would weigh.

gumball
05-13-2010, 05:19
You might be able to get the maps at the outfitters in Damascus--Mt. Rogers Outfitters. I would suppose they may or may not have them in stock.

Jack Tarlin
05-13-2010, 08:48
There are several places in Damascus that sell maps.

There are five maps (that are sold individually) that will bring you from Damascus to Waynesboro.

For Shenandoah National Park, you can get the 3-map set from the ATC or you can use the National Geographic map.

There arer several other excellent ATC maps that cover from the Northern end of SNP to Harpers Ferry.

If you don't want to have the maps mailed to you as you go (to places like Pearisburg, Catawba, or Daleville,) I suppose you could carry all 5. We're not talking about that much weight here.

Jack Tarlin
05-13-2010, 09:02
I should add that there are other National Geographic maps for Virginia, and they are excellent, especially the one that covers the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area. These maps are especially useful for folks planning to hike on Trails in addition to the A.T. as the present design of the 5-map VA series pretty much only includes a narrow band of land (the Trail corridor and not much else), while the Nat'l Geo. maps extensively cover the land areas adjacent to the Trail, as well as including all sorts of info on other Trails; major roads, towns, etc.

It is my opinion that this 5-map set is very long overdue for an upgrade.

Pedaling Fool
05-13-2010, 09:13
I should add that there are other National Geographic maps for Virginia, and they are excellent, especially the one that covers the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area. These maps are especially useful for folks planning to hike on Trails in addition to the A.T. as the present design of the 5-map VA series pretty much only includes a narrow band of land (the Trail corridor and not much else), while the Nat'l Geo. maps extensively cover the land areas adjacent to the Trail, as well as including all sorts of info on other Trails; major roads, towns, etc.

However, if you like elevation profiles than the Nat. Geo maps may not be for you.

I've seen the Nat. Geo maps in my local outfitter, but I haven't really looked at them. However, I think most of us have the N.G. map of the smokies and that elevation profile is absolutely useless - the scale is all wrong. Not really a big deal for me, since I really don't use that feature much, but I do know many people like it.

Pedaling Fool
05-13-2010, 09:16
... as the present design of the 5-map VA series pretty much only includes a narrow band of land (the Trail corridor and not much else), while the Nat'l Geo. maps extensively cover the land areas adjacent to the Trail, as well as including all sorts of info on other Trails; major roads, towns, etc.

However, this is also true.

10-K
05-13-2010, 10:07
However, I think most of us have the N.G. map of the smokies and that elevation profile is absolutely useless - the scale is all wrong. Not really a big deal for me, since I really don't use that feature much, but I do know many people like it.

Man, you're not kidding about that.

At one point I decided to swap going up with going down and it was just as accurate as the printed profile.

Cohu
05-13-2010, 13:59
I guess I didnt make myself clear. Are there any towns north of Damascus where they sell VA maps?

10-K
05-13-2010, 14:37
I guess I didnt make myself clear. Are there any towns north of Damascus where they sell VA maps?

I would suggest calling Outdoor Trails in Daleville, VA and the outfitter in Waynesboro to start - don't know the name.

I'm sure they sell them, if they have them when you get there is a crapshoot.

Why not buy them and mail them up the trail - or as Jack suggested, just carry them? If the weight is that big of a problem, toss them or mail them back to yourself after you finish each one.

Jack Tarlin
05-13-2010, 17:20
Not a whole lot of good outfitters on or immediately adjacent to the Trail in VA.

As others have said, other than the small shop in Daleville or the larger one in Rockfish Gap, that's about it.

(There are obviously other outfitters/outdoor shops in places like Blacksburg, Lynchburg, etc., but as for ON THE TRAIL, no). You pretty much either have to carry more maps than you might like, or arrange with someone to have them mailed to you as needed.

Cohu
05-13-2010, 18:11
great, thanks

Knees
05-14-2010, 23:27
You could mail drop them to yourself. Just throw a couple of them in them mail in Damascus. Pick them up wherever you'll be a week or two later. Saves the hassle of dealing with outfitters that may or may not have what you need.

I usually carry about a months worth of maps at a time. It gets to be a PIA for me to deal with maps more often than that on long hikes. A months worth of hiking is about Damascus to Waynesboro at thru hiking speeds. You may want to consider starting with all of them and then mailing them back home as you go through them.

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:21
After MRO, you can get maps also at Daleville at the outfitter, north of Catawba for the Blue Ridge Parkway section. Then get the SNP maps at Rockfish Gap outfitters in Waynesboro and the Harpers Ferry ones at the outfitter in Front Royal (though honestly those last two I might - gulp - skip. They are heavy and honestly don't do much. Esp the last map to Harper's Ferry, a lot of weight for little info. I just did that section. Normally I love maps, but to me, that section is like overkill in the map dept. ).