PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Tent (NOT Tarp or Hammock)**

brotheral
05-13-2010, 08:02
I've been away from backpacking for a few years and gradually gearing back up.
I now have everything but a tent. I like a little extra room... I went to Waterstone Outdoors a few months ago and we set up a Hubba Hubba. I thought it was okay...I'm NOT a Thru-Hiker. Just plan to get out there and enjoy some short trips on the A/T and elsewhere. Probably wouldn't exceed 8 miles in a day... Any suggestions on a good sized solo tent or a light,
good quality, 2 man tent ?? I don't use trekking poles, but I'm open-minded.
Plan to investigate SMD Solo and Duo...:-?

10-K
05-13-2010, 08:48

I have both of these tents and either would be an excellent choice though I am biased towards the duo because it has so much room at only a lb or so more than the solo.

garlic08
05-13-2010, 08:57
Tarptent.com is also popular with thru-hikers with lighter packs. I wouldn't trade my Contrail model for anything for three-season hiking.

The Hubba was perhaps the most popular double-wall tent I saw on the trail in '08. The Hubba looked extremely secure and durable, and free-standing (a great advantage at times), but with the disadvantages of higher cost, more weight, less floor room, and more complex set-up.

garlic08
05-13-2010, 09:01
PS: If you really think you'll stick to the eight miles per day plan, you'll likely be spending a lot of time in the tent in inclement conditions, so you might want to get a double-wall. The disadvantages of the single wall include more condensation issues next to your sleeping insulation and you need to be fussy about ventilation and campsite selection. The single wall is really better for the hiker who walks all day, no matter the weather, and only stops to sleep.

Persistent
05-13-2010, 09:20
Check out the LightHeart Solo (www.lightheartgear.com). It is really roomy and weighs only 27 ounces.

Maddog
05-13-2010, 09:34
Check out the LightHeart Solo (www.lightheartgear.com). It is really roomy and weighs only 27 ounces.

+1 on the lightheart tents! its definitely gonna be my next tent! i met judy at the hiker bash in franklin...i almost bought one on the spot! maddog

EasternBox
05-13-2010, 10:56
I'm a tall guy (6'3") and love big agnes tents. Look into the Seedhouse SL1 and SL2. It's not as light as tents mentioned in this thread, however I can stretch out without touching the ends.

wyominglostandfound
05-13-2010, 16:02
my 5 man weighs 2 lbs. with a stovejack. no floor or netting though.

www.wyominglostandfund.com (http://www.wyominglostandfund.com)

bigcranky
05-13-2010, 16:15
Tarptent Moment is my current favorite solo tent. Easy to set up and plenty of room for a big guy solo hiker and gear.

10-K
05-13-2010, 16:18
Tarptent Moment is my current favorite solo tent. Easy to set up and plenty of room for a big guy solo hiker and gear.

Are you familiar with the Lunar Solo? I'd like to hear a compare/contrast between the Solo and Moment.

I like the Solo ok - enough to make it my home for the next 2 months - but it needs just a bit more room for me to really, really like it.

I love the Duo...

What I want is a Solo and a half.. :)

Graywolf
05-13-2010, 19:41
Are you familiar with the Lunar Solo? I'd like to hear a compare/contrast between the Solo and Moment.

I like the Solo ok - enough to make it my home for the next 2 months - but it needs just a bit more room for me to really, really like it.

I love the Duo...

What I want is a Solo and a half.. :) ever wh

I say the Moment. It should fit the bill just fine, or the Squall.. Lots of room. One thing I like about the Moment is that it is free standing which isn't found in any other trap/tents such as SMD.. The Duo is a quarter more in price, 310$ which is a little above for a light weight tent, to me anyway..

Graywolf

bigcranky
05-13-2010, 20:25
What I want is a Solo and a half.. :)

I tried a Lunar Solo and didn't quite have enough room. We own a Lunar Duo and LOVE IT.

My new Tarptent Moment is exactly a Solo and a Half. It's plenty long enough for me at 6-2 and 210 lbs (and I've seen a bigger guy in it.) It's very wide in the middle, with a decent vestibule and lots of sit-up-and-move-around headroom.

HeartFire
05-13-2010, 20:44
Backpacking light.com just did a review of the LightHeart Solo tent, check it out
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29373

HeartFire
05-13-2010, 20:45
There is also a you tube video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZsbeJsibRo

brotheral
05-13-2010, 21:12
Backpacking light.com just did a review of the LightHeart Solo tent, check it out
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29373

Thanks Heartfire :) !! I'll have to check it out in the morning... It's getting past my bed time...

Press
05-13-2010, 21:19
Ditto on the Big Agnes Seedhouse2. It's not all that heavy, I can stretch out and sit up in it. Nice in bad weather.

Franco
05-13-2010, 21:51
I just uploaded a quick tour of the Moment using bits I shot for the seam-sealing clip.
Another day I will shoot a more detailed one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwgws6vem88
Franco

Don H
05-13-2010, 22:17
The LightHeart Solo looks interesting. BPL says my NeoAIr which is 77" long will easily fit in it. I like being able to have the mesh sides open for hot weather. It's not free standing like my TT Rainbow which comes in handy on those tent platforms. $235, not bad for a quality tent, I might consider one. The owner of LightHeart posted on BPL that the production was recently outsourced, wonder if that will effect quality?

Graywolf
05-13-2010, 22:59
The LightHeart Solo looks interesting. BPL says my NeoAIr which is 77" long will easily fit in it. I like being able to have the mesh sides open for hot weather. It's not free standing like my TT Rainbow which comes in handy on those tent platforms. $235, not bad for a quality tent, I might consider one. The owner of LightHeart posted on BPL that the production was recently outsourced, wonder if that will effect quality?

If you enjoyed the Rainbow, why not look into the Moment? It to is freestanding..

Graywolf

BOWSINGER
05-13-2010, 23:10
I have a Moment so will toss in my two cents. Love those Moment puns!
I usually leave the free standing crossing pole at home to save weight.
It only takes two pegs to set up without the extra pole.
Maybe two more if the wind gets up.

brotheral
05-14-2010, 07:52
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I'm not gearing up for a thru-hike.
I just want something reliable, waterproof, and light without being cramped for space... The good experience I've had with Sierra Design products and their customer service makes me want to buy again from them if they have something.... The Vapor Light 2 is in the upper 3# range and looks like a solid contender :-?

grayfox
05-14-2010, 08:57
You have probably noticed that the last few years have been revolutionary for design and materials in all gear for backpacking. New gear is much lighter than what was used even four or five years ago. Even so, this comes at a price in dollars and durability.

Sierra Designs tents are still durable and a bit on the heavy side. Eureka tents are still some of the best and least expensive tents. Kelty products are still well made but seem to be less progressive in new designs. Some North Face is good-at a price.

Since you seem underwhelmed by the BA Hubba, which is one of the more popular choices on this forum, let me suggest you look at the Eureka Spitfire 2. It weighs 4 pounds but is inexpensive. I have the solo version. The two man has two doors, so two people can enter and exit without disturbing each other and nice nights can have great ventilation. It might be a good choice for you and wins the contest on the economic side of choice.

Also, the 'frog' designs from several companies seem to offer lots of good interior space, sturdy structure, and bearable carrying weight.

Still, some of the new designs are very interesting.

ky chris
05-14-2010, 09:24
I'd say I'm a hiker about like you. I like to do around 8 mile days and hike on the weekends for a night or two at a time. I also am picky about the weather and typically go only when the weather is going to be decent.

The Hubba and Hubba Hubba IMO are the goto tents for a freestanding design. They are decently light and you can find great deals on them at online retailers or ebay.

Even though I'm not a thru-hiker, every ounce counts on the trail and I really like the tarptent.com designs. Particularly the new Moment. Super easy to setup with only two stakes, really light, plenty of room, and a good price.

When I first got into backpacking I wanted a lot of room but I quickly found out that in the forest sometimes there isn't much flat ground. The bigger your tent the harder it is going to be to find a good spot. It's definitely a compromise.

The Tarptent Moment gives you room to sit up, have some gear inside, as well as keep gear protected outside in the vestibule. You can adjust the venting from the inside, and you can look out on all sides too. Not many shelters allow you a view from all sides which I really like in case there is a weird sound during the middle of the night.

KY Chris

brotheral
05-14-2010, 11:06
You have probably noticed that the last few years have been revolutionary for design and materials in all gear for backpacking. New gear is much lighter than what was used even four or five years ago. Even so, this comes at a price in dollars and durability.

Sierra Designs tents are still durable and a bit on the heavy side. Eureka tents are still some of the best and least expensive tents. Kelty products are still well made but seem to be less progressive in new designs. Some North Face is good-at a price.

Since you seem underwhelmed by the BA Hubba, which is one of the more popular choices on this forum, let me suggest you look at the Eureka Spitfire 2. It weighs 4 pounds but is inexpensive. I have the solo version. The two man has two doors, so two people can enter and exit without disturbing each other and nice nights can have great ventilation. It might be a good choice for you and wins the contest on the economic side of choice.

Also, the 'frog' designs from several companies seem to offer lots of good interior space, sturdy structure, and bearable carrying weight.

Still, some of the new designs are very interesting.

I'm leaning more toward a free-standing tent. Funny, I was looking at the Eureka Zeus II this morning. I also use a Sunrise 8 for alot of my solo car camping.... I bring a good sized tarp along in case one of those mountain storms show up :)

cphobes
05-14-2010, 11:06
I've been away from backpacking for a few years and gradually gearing back up.
I now have everything but a tent. I like a little extra room... I went to Waterstone Outdoors a few months ago and we set up a Hubba Hubba. I thought it was okay...I'm NOT a Thru-Hiker. Just plan to get out there and enjoy some short trips on the A/T and elsewhere. Probably wouldn't exceed 8 miles in a day... Any suggestions on a good sized solo tent or a light,
good quality, 2 man tent ?? I don't use trekking poles, but I'm open-minded.

SMD is great just picked up the new Haven Tarp & Nettent, nice features great for a single person and like most 2 man's you can get 2 people in it.

-Stephen

mykl
05-14-2010, 11:59
Look into the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain. The 2 person is like 5 oz heavier than the MSR Hubba Hubba, but well worth it in every way. More room, more ventilation, better color and you can get a optional monster vestibule if needed. http://www.backcountry.com/store/compare.html?chk_compare_BAG0060=1&x=19&y=7&chk_compare_CAS0530=1
Same goes for the 1 person.

mister krabs
05-14-2010, 12:36
I really like this (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1480D&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=ALPS_Mountaineering_Zenith_2_AL_Tent_-_2-Person_3-Season&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true), an alps mountaineering zephyr/zenith, similar in specs to an emerald mountain, a few oz heavier than the hubba hubba and only a hundred bucks. I have the three man and really like it in the 20 or so nights I've had it out. Check out the reviews at the link, I agree with them.

mykl
05-14-2010, 16:03
I really like this (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1480D&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=ALPS_Mountaineering_Zenith_2_AL_Tent_-_2-Person_3-Season&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true), an alps mountaineering zephyr/zenith, similar in specs to an emerald mountain, a few oz heavier than the hubba hubba and only a hundred bucks. I have the three man and really like it in the 20 or so nights I've had it out. Check out the reviews at the link, I agree with them.

The Alps tent seems real nice. Great price for the weight and size.

brotheral
05-14-2010, 16:52
[QUOTE=mykl;1012757]Look into the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain. The 2 person is like 5 oz heavier than the MSR Hubba Hubba, but well worth it in every way. More room, more ventilation, better color and you can get a optional monster vestibule if needed. http://www.backcountry.com/store/compare.html?chk_compare_BAG0060=1&x=19&y=7&chk_compare_CAS0530=1
Same goes for the 1 person.[/QUOTE
That's alot of money for a 3 season shelter....& now we're going over 4#
Maybe I'll dig my Camptrails Taos 2 out. It's probably "only" 7 lbs or so :banana

stranger
05-14-2010, 16:58
With all due respect to those who have posted suggestions, I would say that there is more to the question than that of weight.

Tarptents for example, have silnylon floors, and silnylon is not waterproof, it's extremely water resistant. Laying on silnylon, or kneeling, etc...could push water through the floor. So yes, while Tarptents are great products, they have limitations.

I know Six Moon Designs offers a more substantial floor in their models for this very reason.

Also, while trekking poles means less weight, have you ever had a tent that uses trekking poles? Some of them are a real pain in the a$$ to work with, not all, but many.

The Hubba certainly wins the popularity award, but a more roomy version is the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, it's 18 inches wider at the head, and a lighter tent overall...and not too much more expensive.

From what I've seen, I would recommend something like a Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek models for a more traditional shelter.

For lighter options I would check out the Lightheart tent, Six Moon Designs or most models from Tarptent, just remember you will need to be more careful with campsite selection with these models.

Also, Montbell makes a cool looking single pole shelter called the Cresent One, but I've never seen detailed pics of it, they make amazing stuff.

Hopefully one day Ron from MLD will make a tent, that I would like to see!

stranger
05-14-2010, 17:01
One final thing I forgot to mention...

Buy a tent based on how it will function during a storm, think about setting it up in the rain, how you will cook, or eat, and how it will break down in the rain.

All tents are great when it's sunny!

brotheral
05-14-2010, 17:33
One final thing I forgot to mention...

Buy a tent based on how it will function during a storm, think about setting it up in the rain, how you will cook, or eat, and how it will break down in the rain.

All tents are great when it's sunny!

Absolutely Right to both of your posts !!!!! :sun

safn1949
05-14-2010, 18:34
I have a Tarptent Rainbow and did a quick modification to free standing that cost about $7.I like the tent (roomy) but it is airy,as in downright breezy if you know what I mean.
I also have a Sierra Designs Lightning 2.I love their tents as they are very high quality and if you were going to get into some bad (lots of rain,wind,colder temps) they batten down nicely.

In weather I would be comfortable in with the Lighting,I would be wet,cold and miserable in the Rainbow. But 2lbs 4 oz (3lbs with the freestand mod) vs 4 lbs 5 oz for the Lightning.I weighed them complete on a digital postal scale.

The Rainbow does nothing to help keep you warm in colder temps (35 f)
The Lightning does and you can feel the difference when you open the flap.

spyderman654
05-14-2010, 18:54
I have an MSR Hubba for solo backpacking, and a Hubba Hubba for when I am hiking with a tent mate (usually my son).

I love them both. The tent is mostly mesh, so it is extremely airy (thats an ism) in the summer. Their claim to fame is the one pole system. Its nice not to have to worry if you lost a pole somewhere.

I have used mine in all three seasons, including single digit temps in the winter, and woken up to zero condensation. Its awesome!

They are pretty light (Hubba is 3.4lbs), and in good weather, you can leave the tent, and take the rain fly and ground tarp along with the poles- saving around a third of the total weight.

Check em out!

spyderman654
05-14-2010, 19:02
Just noticed you already checked out the Hubba Hubba....

Sorry. I still say it is a great tent.

mykl
05-14-2010, 19:10
[QUOTE=mykl;1012757]Look into the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain. The 2 person is like 5 oz heavier than the MSR Hubba Hubba, but well worth it in every way. More room, more ventilation, better color and you can get a optional monster vestibule if needed. http://www.backcountry.com/store/compare.html?chk_compare_BAG0060=1&x=19&y=7&chk_compare_CAS0530=1
Same goes for the 1 person.[/QUOTE
That's alot of money for a 3 season shelter....& now we're going over 4#
Maybe I'll dig my Camptrails Taos 2 out. It's probably "only" 7 lbs or so :banana

Not much of a price difference between the MSR Hubba Hubba 2 and the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain 2. And like I mentioned, the BA EM has way more going for it that justifies the 5 ounces.
Don't know about you brotheral, but I'd be much happier carrying a 4 pound 3 oz tent than your 7 pounder. Three pounds difference is more than a five ounces difference, don't let the numbers fool you :-? Yea it can get tricky for some :p Think about it just a little bit.
Or maybe just stick with the Sunrise 8 for a solo tent....

brotheral
05-14-2010, 20:11
[QUOTE=brotheral;1012863]

Not much of a price difference between the MSR Hubba Hubba 2 and the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain 2. And like I mentioned, the BA EM has way more going for it that justifies the 5 ounces.
Don't know about you brotheral, but I'd be much happier carrying a 4 pound 3 oz tent than your 7 pounder. Three pounds difference is more than a five ounces difference, don't let the numbers fool you :-? Yea it can get tricky for some :p Think about it just a little bit.
Or maybe just stick with the Sunrise 8 for a solo tent....

Appreciate your clearing things up for me :rolleyes: My girlfriend calls me "Ronnie" by which she means "Moron" :eek:

brotheral
05-14-2010, 20:24
Here's what I used the last time I went backpacking. It's the rain-fly from a Eureka timberline 4 and some parachute cord... :sun

mykl
05-14-2010, 23:11
Here's what I used the last time I went backpacking. It's the rain-fly from a Eureka timberline 4 and some parachute cord... :sun

Cool idea, sweet place to pitch. BTW, whats holding it up, treking poles?

slow
05-14-2010, 23:29

ALL fine,but 6lb?

Cheap is great, but not with a bag nor tent.

BTW...A good deal like YOU post,can hurt in the long run to many.Cheap is not for a tent nor a bag.

mykl
05-15-2010, 00:10
ALL fine,but 6lb?

BTW...A good deal like YOU post,can hurt in the long run to many.Cheap is not for a tent nor a bag.

Were do you get 6 pounds? The provided link clearly states 4lb 8oz.

brotheral
05-15-2010, 04:48
Cool idea, sweet place to pitch. BTW, whats holding it up, treking poles?

Parachute cord strung between 2 trees. No Poles..

SunnyWalker
05-15-2010, 21:48
Gatewood Cape with a bivi.

Tinker
05-15-2010, 21:53
Gatewood Cape with a bivi.

Wild Oasis would be my choice. I haven't used a Gatewood cape as a poncho, but my gut reaction is that I'd prefer to carry a poncho or light rain jacket (probably the jacket if I carried a Wild Oasis).

Equinox makes an inexpensive bivy.

safn1949
05-15-2010, 23:47
I have a Tarptent Rainbow and did a quick modification to free standing that cost about $7.I like the tent (roomy) but it is airy,as in downright breezy if you know what I mean.
I also have a Sierra Designs Lightning 2.I love their tents as they are very high quality and if you were going to get into some bad (lots of rain,wind,colder temps) they batten down nicely.

In weather I would be comfortable in with the Lighting,I would be wet,cold and miserable in the Rainbow. But 2lbs 4 oz (3lbs with the freestand mod) vs 4 lbs 5 oz for the Lightning.I weighed them complete on a digital postal scale.

The Rainbow does nothing to help keep you warm in colder temps (35 f)
The Lightning does and you can feel the difference when you open the flap.

I should also point out that I am claustrophobic,thus my choice of tent and even sleeping bags.You ain't had any fun until you have to come out of a tight bag with a stuck zipper with that in mind...yikes.

So I need some floor and overhead space in my tents.:D

brotheral
05-16-2010, 06:26
I like the Vapor Light 2 at 3lb 15oz... My experience with SD has been good :)

Hoop
05-16-2010, 10:39
Earlier posts about the Lightheart Solo - got one a few days ago. Quick set up & down (better than my free-standing BD), adjustable for different conditions, light.

JRiker
05-17-2010, 11:49
i'm a fan of the sierra designs lightyear. i'm like you, i hike on the weekends and never do more than 10 miles in a day. i mainly hike so i can get to good fishing spots...

i used to have the sierra designs clip flashlight, but changed to the lightyear about a year back.

my only issue with the lightyear is the vestibule space, but i carry an 8x10 tarp as well, so then i have a huge area for cooking and gear storage etc. the weight of the tarp makes up the difference between the clip flashlight and the lightyear, but it's much more versatile. after a bunch of trial and error this system is my favorite.

(on a side note, i just got back from traildays, and i saw a bunch of lighter tents that i would love to have, i just have to convince my wife to let me spend my own money on one...)

Tuckahoe
05-17-2010, 15:35
I keep checking out the Lightheart tent and really do like the what I see. However, as I read some reviews, some refer to it and the Tarptents as medium weather tents. That is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on such a tent as I want one that I know will stand up to a sudden thunder storm in Virginia. I know that my Clip flashlight will hold up to strong weather.

brotheral
05-17-2010, 15:48
I've been looking at those "Super-Light" shelters also, but I want something I KNOW is gonna keep me dry.... That's worth some extra ounces to me...
Thanks for the input...:sun

HeartFire
05-17-2010, 16:06
I keep checking out the Lightheart tent and really do like the what I see. However, as I read some reviews, some refer to it and the Tarptents as medium weather tents. That is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on such a tent as I want one that I know will stand up to a sudden thunder storm in Virginia. I know that my Clip flashlight will hold up to strong weather.

Tuck,
First know where this information is coming from - I'm the maker of the LightHeart tent, so of course I'm biased :datz.

There have been quite a few people that thru hiked last year (Ramble~On) that said they never got a drop of water in the tent when everyone else was getting soaked in downpours. Others that are out now with it on the AT, they seem to be saying the same - Charlie D., Gonzo They are on TJ so you could send them a personal email to ask for first hand experience.

I hiked with a Sierra Designs Lighenting in 06 and it was a great tent, just too heavy and took up too much room in my pack.

The LightHeart tents all have a 6 inch bathtub floor and plenty of protection from the rain. There are now extra tie outs on the fly for really heavy wind. It has stood up to over 40 mph winds. Backpacking light.com just did a review of it and Ryan Jordan said it did great in storms.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

safn1949
05-17-2010, 16:08

I haven't been in the rain with my Rainbow yet,my impression is that as long as the wind isn't howling and I site it right it will be no problem.Would I want to spend 3-4 days in a downpour in it? Probably not,but I know some have more experience with this tent them me.:D

FamilyGuy
05-17-2010, 18:51
I would second (or third, etc) the MSR Hubba. So easy to use. Great space for you, your pad and sleeping bag. Everything else goes in the very large vestibule. You can zip open the door and reach anything you need while still laying down. Compared to the Contrail, it is heavier, but withstands storms much better in my opinion. It also manages condensation much better. Downside: a bit heavy compared to others but IMHO, the features outweigh the modest weight increase.

Cuffs
05-17-2010, 18:51
youve already beaten me to it, I was going to suggest the Lightheart line of tents.

Got to see them first hand at TDz this year and was quite impressed!! (but Im a devout hammocker...)

brotheral
05-17-2010, 20:12
Why is your member name in purple ?? :confused:

Daydream Believer
05-17-2010, 20:21
What about the REI Quarterdome for 1? Not heavy at all and seems to have some great reviews on the REI site for being waterproof and reliable. I may get the chance to use one on my section hike coming up and will have to report on it.

gohawks
05-17-2010, 21:20
ALL fine,but 6lb?

Alps makes sturdy, solid, reliable, albeit slightly heavy gear. They market primarily to the boy scouts. I've had all sorts of tents, tarptents, from various manufacturers. Sierra Designs, Tarptent, Big Agnes, MSR. They all have their own niche and advantages. I've had the Zephyr 1 and Zephyr 2 and have found them to be of good quality. The owner of Alps worked for Kelty prior to founding Alps and I think they are very similar in terms of workmanship.

With some of the other brands you really are paying a premium for lighter materials (in some instances only slightly lighter) and for the marketing/advertising budget.

I would not call the Alps tent "cheap", other than price. Yes it has its foibles and it ain't ultra light, but for a recreational backpacker on a budget it makes perfectly good sense and is a good compromise in terms of features, weight, and price.

Bearpaw
05-17-2010, 21:23
Why is your member name in purple ?? :confused:

It means she's a supermoderator.

Bearpaw
05-17-2010, 21:26
The Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36) is a remarkably lightweight (27 oz) and roomy, bug-free solo shelter. If I hike in some God-forsaken place with no decent trees to hammock, it's my go-to solo shelter.

Blissful
05-18-2010, 09:38
Tarptent.com is also popular with thru-hikers with lighter packs. I wouldn't trade my Contrail model for anything for three-season hiking.

The Hubba was perhaps the most popular double-wall tent I saw on the trail in '08. The Hubba looked extremely secure and durable, and free-standing (a great advantage at times), but with the disadvantages of higher cost, more weight, less floor room, and more complex set-up.

Nothing complex at all about the hubba set up, unfold the poles, put them in the corner slots, raise the tent, clip. I found the tarp tents a pain at times in high wind, rocky areas (not free standing), condensation issues etc. it takes me most times a heck of a lot longer to get the tarptent set up right then a clip and go hubba. I use both.

Tuckahoe
05-25-2010, 22:09
Tuck,
First know where this information is coming from - I'm the maker of the LightHeart tent, so of course I'm biased :datz.

There have been quite a few people that thru hiked last year (Ramble~On) that said they never got a drop of water in the tent when everyone else was getting soaked in downpours. Others that are out now with it on the AT, they seem to be saying the same - Charlie D., Gonzo They are on TJ so you could send them a personal email to ask for first hand experience.

I hiked with a Sierra Designs Lighenting in 06 and it was a great tent, just too heavy and took up too much room in my pack.

The LightHeart tents all have a 6 inch bathtub floor and plenty of protection from the rain. There are now extra tie outs on the fly for really heavy wind. It has stood up to over 40 mph winds. Backpacking light.com just did a review of it and Ryan Jordan said it did great in storms.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Judy,

Thank you for responding to my post. I have done my best to keep up with the threads here on Whiteblaze and other forums that discuss the Lightheart solo. You should be very pleased as all the reviews and discussions have been very positive.

As I said in my previous post my one concern that has kept me from pulling the trigger and buying a tent is how well it would stand up to heavy weather. Part of my concern started with Ryan Jordan on BPL refering to the Lightheart and the Moment -- “bottom line is that both of these are mild weather solo tents.” And on your own website you say in the FAQ, “Yes, sil-nylon is extremely waterproof within normal conditions. The standard gray tents come with sil-nylon that has a hydrostatic head specification of a minimum of 3500mm water. This is about 3 times the waterproof rating of standard sil-nylon.”

I will admit that part of it is my own lack of understanding, but I honestly do not understand what it means when you say, “The standard gray tents come with sil-nylon that has a hydrostatic head specification of a minimum of 3500mm water. This is about 3 times the waterproof rating of standard sil-nylon.” Is there a better way of explaining how water proof the tent is?

But the reviews have been extremely positive and many folks have stated that their tents have stood up to weather very well and kept the rain out, putting my mind at ease. Once I get some money together I will buy a Lightheart solo.

If I might also say, the Youtube video posted by Hendrik of Hiking Finland is a big plus. I think it would benefit you even more if more videos about your tent were developed and posted.

HeartFire
05-25-2010, 23:55
Tuck,
One of the first posts inthis thread mentioned that I have outsourced the production of the tents. Yes that is true. The GRAY tents are now being factory produced for me. There is no drop in quality. Actually what they can do factory wise is some what better than what I can do on the limited equipment I have. I have 2 Industrial sewingmachines that I use. They have all sorts of fandancy equipment. Also , the fabric they can get has the higher waterproof rating than what I am able to purchase. I guess if I was going to but 3000 yd is fabric I could get the same stuff, but I buy fabric by the 100 yd roll - or less. I am still sewing all the colored tents. I have blue, purple, tan, green, rust red etc. There are minor differences in the way I sew the tents and the factory does.

The "hydrostatic head" stuff is the way they measure the amount of pressure of water on the fabric that it takes to leak through. Someone earlir in this thread commented on the fact that if you sit or kneel on silnylon in a puddle of water it will leak thru. It's the pressure that forces the water to leak through. My gray tents have a higher rating than the colored fabrics. Rarely unless you really don't know where you are setting up your tent should you have a river under the tent. I also alway reccmrnd a ground cloth of some sort. This keeps Water out and protects the floor from abrasion. I hope this helps
Judy

HeartFire
05-25-2010, 23:58
Oh and as to the 'mild weather'. Well that is a personal and geographical deffinition. I'm in North Carolina. I can use the tent here all year long. I probably wouldnt take it to Alaska in February though.

leaftye
05-26-2010, 00:11
I really like the SMD Lunar Duo from the few times I've seen other hikers using it. I'm quite envious of the vast floor space it has. In the same way, I also really like the Lightheart Duo. I think both would be fantastic tents, however neither are freestanding.

I'm actually putting together a motorcycle camping setup that I can also do a bit of hiking in. The main part if a Black Diamond Lighthouse, a 3 pound tent, but you could substitute any spacious lightweight tent. I like this tent because it is spacious, light and very strong. The other part of the shelter system is a tarp that I'll mostly use when it's raining, although it'll probably come out during long hot days in camp. For those times I can camp next to my motorcycle, I'd really like to set up my tarp so that I can put the rear luggage holding part under one end, and then put my tent or bivy under the rest.

Tarptents for example, have silnylon floors, and silnylon is not waterproof, it's extremely water resistant. Laying on silnylon, or kneeling, etc...could push water through the floor. So yes, while Tarptents are great products, they have limitations.

Are you setting up in puddles or mud pits? This really shouldn't be an issue if you pick a decent site to set up your shelter. Even if the ground is moist when you first set up your shelter, the space beneath your shelter will eventually get drier if you've picked a good spot. I still advise at least using a Gossamer Gear Polycryo 1.5 ounce ground sheet, although you'll still have problems if you're picking campsites that allow water to pool beneath your shelter.

leaftye
05-26-2010, 00:22
Oh yeah, you may want to consider Big Sky tents. I'm waiting for the version of their tents in cuben fiber fabric and carbon fiber poles....and for the money to buy it.

HeartFire
05-26-2010, 13:28
I'm actually putting together a motorcycle camping setup that I can also do a bit of hiking in. .

We have tent poles that go with the LightHeart Tents for just this reason. We want to attract the motorcycle/bike riding/kayaking/canoeing people that camp out along the way. Our tent poles collapse down to 11 inches so that they pack small and fit into saddle bags. One section of the tent pole is adjustable, just like hiking poles so that you can adjust the pitch of the tent.
http://lightheartgear.com/accessories.html

Judy

leaftye
05-26-2010, 13:35
Wow, that tent pole is pretty slick.

brotheral
05-27-2010, 19:05
How about the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2. Weighs in from 2lb 2oz to 2lb 10oz. Got 2010 Backpacker Magazine "Editor's Choice Award" ??
Anybody using one of these ?? :-?