PDA

View Full Version : The trail as we get older.

earplug94
05-13-2010, 11:23
Hello all,
I thru- hiked in '94. It has been awhile and the trail visits me everyday. Sounds and smells still rise from the trail and I see memories of the past. I try not to live in the past. But, it is almost as if the trail is in the present moment at times. So many people have walked it's path and sought out things better and that brings me alot of happiness. Just to know that the trail still helps so many people to reach deeper in themselves and seek things that are important to them. I visit the trail often and it still fills me with the beauty that nature affords. My point to all of this! :) Thanks for the journey and thanks for the journey to come for so many when I'm long and gone. Like an old tree that's roots run deep. I will sit by that tree as long as I can my days here. Go visit the trail.

earplug94

Adayak
05-13-2010, 16:38
Well said. I do think the AT has some sort of mystical hold or effect on people... almost like something out of Lost. We're just drawn to the trail no matter how far you are.

Jack Tarlin
05-13-2010, 17:35
Earplug:

I did my first long hike in '95. As you said, things out here are still great except all the Trail signs give incorrect mileage about how long specific stretches actually are, and somehow, the Trail has managed to get much steeper over the years. :D

Migrating Bird
05-13-2010, 19:35
Earplug: thanks for the comments, I begin my journey SOBO on June 1. Can only take a month or so off right now, but I take a day if I can get it.

Thanks again.