PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a overnight hike on the AT in GA.

cooley
05-13-2010, 14:57
Me and wife are really wanting to go for an overnight hike this weekend and would like any suggestions on where to go. We plan on leaving about 5 in the morning saturday and coming back Sunday.We live in Georgia and it is only about three and half hours to most trials.

Would it be a good idea to go to the approach trial and hike it to Springer and come back the next morning or are the some better sections where we can park and not worry about the car.

Also any suggestions on what type of gear I should carry for a overnight trip. Would it be a bad idea for me and my wife to just carry two large backpacks. Also it may rain so any suggestions for staying dry would be great.

Thanks

Pagandaddy
05-13-2010, 15:41
Which way were you planning on driving, through Athens or Atlanta? There are access points north of Helen which may be an hour closer than Amicalola. I would just carry two small backpacks. Well first what kind of gear do you have? Can it be carried in two small backpacks?

cooley
05-13-2010, 16:02
I planed on carrying 2 40 degree sleeping bags, REI dome tent, sleeping pad, alchol stove, one pot, oatmeal for breakfast, trail mix some moutain house for diner, first aid kit, not sure what to carry for rain.

Also I thought about maybe going to Trey Mountain hike Uncoi Gap but not sure about parking.

Also I would be coming from Augusta closer to Athens.

solobip
05-13-2010, 16:57
My wife and I recently did the Coosa Backcountry Trail at Vogel. Its about 13 miles, is a loop and you park in the parking lot at the store/ranger station. It can get hilly but we really enjoyed it for an overnighter. And hey you go visit Walasi-Yi too!

spyderman654
05-14-2010, 14:00
I really like Tray Mtn as an overnight spot.

I was not a big fan of the the Springer approach trail or any of the trail between Springer and Neels Gap. If I had only one night in the area you described, I would probably choose the Tray Mt. Shelter area. There is a great tent spot about 40 yds shy of the shelter, with a great vista (ENE facing) for viewing sunrise and sunset.

It is just shy of 6 miles from Unicoi Gap (off of 75) to Tray. There is parking on Hwy 75, or you can park in Helen, and get a shuttle. The hike over Rocky Mt. is moderate to challenging (especially in the heat), but there is a lot of water on the ascent.

The other major access point is at Hwy 76 at Dicks Creek Gap near Hiawassee. It also has overnight parking, but it is about an 11 mile hike from this direction to Tray, with some tuff climbs. Either way is nice, but I think I liked Northbounding the best.

Have fun.

Nearly Normal
05-14-2010, 14:15
Google up the hiker hostel. They can help you with a shuttle and clue you.
Springer to the road access past hawk mt is the easiest section.
If it doesn't have to be the AT you can always hike along the chattooga river on the foothills trail. Very scenic and easy. Probly about the same travel time.