PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like Springer Fever?

old fat guy
05-13-2010, 16:29
A couple of months ago I watched a TV program on thru-hiking the AT and now I’m obsessed with it, I’m reading my second AT book, joined whiteblaze, downloaded dozens of articles to read off the web, spend my free time searching hiking sites, about drove my co-workers nuts talking about the AT…

So now you are thinking, sounds like fun, what’s the problem? Well, I’ve never really done any hiking and know next to nothing about it. Sure I’ve spent a lot of time in the outdoors and have done some car camping with other people but that’s about it. Honestly, all the choices, tent vs hammock, internal vs frame pack, filter or treat, down vs synthetic …, are a bit overwhelming with me not having a hiking background. HELP!

Adayak
05-13-2010, 16:36
Here's some advice - quit reading and start doing! :-)

All the books, tv shows and internet articles don't compare to the experience and satisfaction you will gain from being on the trail. Start small, grab your pack and go. You'll learn on the way.

Ladytrekker
05-13-2010, 16:50
A couple of months ago I watched a TV program on thru-hiking the AT and now I’m obsessed with it, I’m reading my second AT book, joined whiteblaze, downloaded dozens of articles to read off the web, spend my free time searching hiking sites, about drove my co-workers nuts talking about the AT…

So now you are thinking, sounds like fun, what’s the problem? Well, I’ve never really done any hiking and know next to nothing about it. Sure I’ve spent a lot of time in the outdoors and have done some car camping with other people but that’s about it. Honestly, all the choices, tent vs hammock, internal vs frame pack, filter or treat, down vs synthetic …, are a bit overwhelming with me not having a hiking background. HELP!

Was in the same exact position. Had no one around me that liked to hike thought I would love it but knew very little. Went totally out of my comfort zone and started my own hiking group on meetup now I have 114 members hike almost every weekend have done multiple overnight hikes, studied and tried out different equipment and now I am getting other people on the trail who have never hiked before it has come full circle. Buy some equipment and you will change what you use as you hike and camp your needs will change as you learn.

I have hiked almost 200 miles in the last year mostly on the FT but keep upping my mileage and now I am doing my first section end of May on the AT.

But just get out and do it that is the best learning tool.

scope
05-13-2010, 17:01
Yep, just do it! Its the only thing that will ease the pain of the fever, although there is no known cure.

Problem is you gotta buy stuff to do it, right? Start cheap, but ask questions to find out what reasonably good equipment is. Chances are you'll end up buying all new equipment anyway when you find out what really suits you. I'd start with tenting since its relatively simple to figure out what you need with that setup. The drawback to going this way is that you may have an attic/closet full of unused equipment at some point that you probably can't sell - that's why I say start cheap.

The alternative, if you have the funds, is to go all out and then sell what you figure out doesn't fit your style. Lightly used first rate equipment will sell a whole lot easier, and at less of a % discount, than will middle of the road stuff, and cheap-cheap stuff won't sell at all (in general).

For what its worth, I hammock, use down, and treat water. If there were lighter external packs out there that weren't so expensive then I'd use external - but alas I use internal.

old fat guy
05-13-2010, 17:02
I do a fair bit of "doing", cycling 40+ miles and running 18 weekly, my lack of camping knowlege and not knowing what gear I need is the point of my reading/research.

TheCheek
05-13-2010, 22:58
It won't hurt to spend a lot of time reading up on stuff before taking off. Once you've got your gear figured out and have time available to get out, go for it! In the mean time sounds like you're right - you've got Springer Fever. :)

Graywolf
05-13-2010, 23:25
Nope, you'll never get over it.. I began researching the trail back in 1987 when I first heard of the trail. Read, bought books, videos, CD's, DVD's photos, etc, etc. SO, I went on trips in colorado, Washingtong, Oregon, California, Oklahoma, Arkansas, geezzz..when will it end. So finally last year I thought I would get it out of my system. I did a three day section from Springer to Neels.. Well, what have I gotten my self into now?? I just made the sickness worse..Just cant STOP, Dont wanna stop.. Nothing more important in life then hiking the Appalachian Trail. I will die if I stop hiking. Yep, I have the fever to, and I assure you, there aint no cure for thos Springer time blues...

Graywolf

Railroad King
05-13-2010, 23:51
I had never hiked into the backcountry before and owned no gear. My experience was cooking marshmallows over a fire at a state park and sleeping in a tent next to our car. And that only happened once or twice in my life. I found White Blaze, read what felt like every article and post, mailed myself a bunch of gear from REI, tested it out at a state park overnight, and started thru-hiking the AT 2 months later. All you can really do is read what people have to say about stuff, read product reviews, and make your own choices as to what you want to spend your money on.

bigcranky
05-14-2010, 08:10
I find a more organized approach to gear research helps a lot. While there is a lot of great info here on Whiteblaze, it's kinda hard to process sometimes.

I would highly recommend The Complete Walker IV (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838847&sr=8-1), along with this Chris Townsend book (http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Handbook-Chris-Townsend/dp/0071423206/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838873&sr=1-4) and this Ryan Jordan book (http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Wilderness-Equipment/dp/0974818828/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838873&sr=1-9) on ultralight hiking.

Loneoak
05-14-2010, 08:32
I know how you fell :) I'm guessing, the best way is to just get out and hike

Mags
05-14-2010, 08:50
I wrote this for people new to backpacking..perhaps it will help some of the posters on this thread:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/ramblings/20-backpacking-and-hiking-documents/19-backpacking-a-beginners-primer

More than researching is getting out there and doing it.

Besides letting you get the kinks out of your hiking, camping and overall gear system..it is fun! :)

old fat guy
05-14-2010, 09:26
WOW, thanks for all the great info and words of encouragement. It’s good to know that I’m not the first non-hiker who just decides one day to do this without any experience, although, like Railroad King, I have roasted a marshmallow a time or two. Does that count?

I do know I’ve been bitten by this fever pretty bad, last night I was out doing my normal run, it was hot, humid and I was a little tired but I keep repeating to myself “no pain, no rain, no Maine” , while running! Yep, I’m crazy.

Tilly
05-14-2010, 09:38
If you live in Alabama, why not try the Alabama Pinhoti Trail?

Good luck!

makoboy
05-14-2010, 09:44
I dont know what is availible down your way in AL, but in the North East the AMC has "Beginner Backpacking" weekend trips. Something like that may be a good way to cut your teeth and get a feel for it with a bit of guidance on the "to-do's" and "not-to-do's"

Two Tents
05-14-2010, 10:43
You think you have a problem now, just wait till you start the gear addiction thingy. You'll know your UPS guy by his first name.

scope
05-14-2010, 12:02
Yep, I’m crazy.

We're all crazy, welcome to the AT nuthouse!! :welcome:banana:eek::D

Graywolf
05-14-2010, 12:12
I find a more organized approach to gear research helps a lot. While there is a lot of great info here on Whiteblaze, it's kinda hard to process sometimes.

I would highly recommend The Complete Walker IV (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838847&sr=8-1), along with this Chris Townsend book (http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Handbook-Chris-Townsend/dp/0071423206/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838873&sr=1-4) and this Ryan Jordan book (http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Wilderness-Equipment/dp/0974818828/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273838873&sr=1-9) on ultralight hiking.

I started out with Complete Walker III. Come to think about it, I still have the original copy.. Just cant let it go.. As for trying to just hike, Nope, that just makes the fever worse. Hmmmm..What is a hiker to do??? Maybe I'll hike. Is there a Hiker Anonomous any where?? Maybe that will help..

Graywolf

old fat guy
05-14-2010, 12:32
As a test I have thought of borrowing a tent, setting it up in the backyard and living out of it for a week or so, only going inside to get ready for work each morning. When telling that to a co-worker he asked if I was "practicing being homeless".

Rick500
05-14-2010, 12:36
Once you have a tent, you're never homeless! :)

scope
05-14-2010, 12:40
As a test I have thought of borrowing a tent, setting it up in the backyard and living out of it for a week or so, only going inside to get ready for work each morning. When telling that to a co-worker he asked if I was "practicing being homeless".

And afterward, I would borrow a hammock from someone who has a full setup. Great way to experiment if you can do that.

Home is where the heart is, and it sounds like your heart is outside the "home".

reddenbacher
05-14-2010, 12:55
hi oaf im old and fat too.from l.a.you in l.a?get a hammock.gettin off da ground every morning is a b.and you wont be so fat anymore i lost 45 lbs.comfort is the key to us southern boys.a hammock is a great place to read too.get a blackbird from warbonnet.they rock.get good boots,and go for a walk.go to hammock forum.keep on reading.it keeps your mind off not being there.get the basics and go for 3 days.

chiefduffy
05-14-2010, 13:25
Welcome, OFG, come on in, the waters fine! I envy you - the excitement of researching gear, trying out new stuff, the first few nights alone on the trail, etc. Good stuff, man. There's a LOT of good AT books out there, they are all great to read. I highly recommend Winton Porter's and Ray Jardine's new books, and the Trek DVD.
Happy Trails!

- Duffy

old fat guy
05-14-2010, 14:20
Thanks. So far I've read How to Hike the AT by Michelle Ray and I'm about half way through AWOL on the Appalachain Trail by David Miller. I noticed in is that Miller has a lot foot problems, is that a common problem? I know it isn't the same as walking high mileage every day but I run 18 or so miles a week without any foot pain.

DapperD
05-14-2010, 20:09

So now you are thinking, sounds like fun, what’s the problem? Well, I’ve never really done any hiking and know next to nothing about it. Sure I’ve spent a lot of time in the outdoors and have done some car camping with other people but that’s about it. Honestly, all the choices, tent vs hammock, internal vs frame pack, filter or treat, down vs synthetic …, are a bit overwhelming with me not having a hiking background. HELP!First off, the sagest advice I have heard and believe is do not buy anything right away. You need to decide if you really are going to act on your thru-hike desires and plan to attempt one. Your gear in that case would suit you best if it favors being light. Once you have accumulated everything you will need, if it is not then you will be in for a hard go of it. If you plan to just continue with the occasional car camping outings, then heavier, cheaper gear probably will suffice. Remember, it pays to really do your homework before dropping that hard earned dough.

phobos
05-17-2010, 10:19

Trust me you are not the only one. I just recently have come down with "springer fever" (in the past month).I did some car camping a few years ago up in the cohutta national forest near jacks river and I was hooked then. However, I stopped doing any camping and got married. Thought my hiking days were over, but found out my wife actually enjoys hiking. Just not the overnight stuff. She actually has encouraged me to go on weekend trips and that has been a great surprise. I am utterly obessed with this site and others. Not to mention all the gear review i've read thru. I've got some great ideas, and this site is one of the best around. I would not have a clue about anything hiking if it weren't for this site. I plan to do some section hiking this fall with some buddies.