PDA

View Full Version : Get ready, MEGAs!!

TJ aka Teej
05-13-2010, 18:03
Watch the snow melt on Katahdin:
http://www.katahdincam.com/
The tote road is open end to end, Abol and Katahdin Stream campgrounds will open for the summer season this Saturday, May 15th. Katahdin trails are still closed, and probably will be for at least the next two weeks. MATC has a work trip on the Hunt Trail underway, and so the AT won't be opened til they're done.
Got that ten day food bag figured out?
Head net, tent, and DEET?
Did you get your reservations at KSC?
Have you decided how to get up to the Park?
You know the bus gets in to Medway too late at night to get into the Park the same day, right?
You know about the AT Lodge in Millinocket? http://appalachiantraillodge.com/
Thinking about Whitehouse Landing?
Thinking about a food drop in the 100 Mile?
Got that maildrop ready for Monson?

rdljr
05-13-2010, 18:19
Working on a NOBO section hike question, how does one know if a site at Birches or Katahdin is available before you hike all the way in from Abol Pines? I have a reservation for the last night of my trip but if I'm ahead of schedule I would love to be able to spend an extra night in the park and summit Katahdin again.

RDL

wcgornto
05-13-2010, 18:32
Watch the snow melt on Katahdin:
http://www.katahdincam.com/
The tote road is open end to end, Abol and Katahdin Stream campgrounds will open for the summer season this Saturday, May 15th. Katahdin trails are still closed, and probably will be for at least the next two weeks. MATC has a work trip on the Hunt Trail underway, and so the AT won't be opened til they're done.
Got that ten day food bag figured out?
Head net, tent, and DEET?
Did you get your reservations at KSC?
Have you decided how to get up to the Park?
You know the bus gets in to Medway too late at night to get into the Park the same day, right?
You know about the AT Lodge in Millinocket? http://appalachiantraillodge.com/
Thinking about Whitehouse Landing?
Thinking about a food drop in the 100 Mile?
Got that maildrop ready for Monson?

These questions are bittersweet to me because this was me this time last year with high anticipation for what was to come and I can't go again this year.

I envy this years SOBOs. Good luck and smooth trails to all of you.

LeeAllure
05-13-2010, 19:23
I'm not hiking this year, but these are good questions to have figured out ahead of time ;) It's great to have them all on one place.

Lee

warraghiyagey
05-13-2010, 19:48
Once again. . . . headnets are the mos popular garbage found on the trail in Maine. . . folks toss these items aside very quickly. . . if you meet one hiker in 100 wearing a head net in Maine you're ahead of the percentage curve. . . . leave them home folks. . . .. :)

wcgornto
05-13-2010, 20:11
Once again. . . . headnets are the mos popular garbage found on the trail in Maine. . . folks toss these items aside very quickly. . . if you meet one hiker in 100 wearing a head net in Maine you're ahead of the percentage curve. . . . leave them home folks. . . .. :)

I used my head net, but not in ME. I used it in CT and NY because of aggravating, persistent gnats.

jwalden
05-14-2010, 01:53

This surprises me greatly. If there were two items I wish I'd had in Maine, they'd have been a head net and hiking poles. I don't think the head net would have been useful after Maine, but during? Definitely worthwhile. (I did start early June, maybe later the head net doesn't pass muster.)

mudhead
05-14-2010, 05:16
Working on a NOBO section hike question, how does one know if a site at Birches or Katahdin is available before you hike all the way in from Abol Pines? I have a reservation for the last night of my trip but if I'm ahead of schedule I would love to be able to spend an extra night in the park and summit Katahdin again.

RDL

June- you are safe. Talk nice to the ranger when you get there. They will be glad to set you up. 7AM-11AM is better time of day to tend to this. Weekend might be close shave, but I doubt it.

Worse case- you walk or hitch to a different park campground.

Worstest case- you hitch to the rafting campground just outside the park entrance, hitch back in, next AM.

You would need a different plan for July or after.

TJ aka Teej
05-14-2010, 08:51

RDL
You can stay at the Birches if you're hiking in from at least as far south as Monson. There's a kiosk about .75 miles from Abol Bridge with a sign up sheet for spots at the Birches, first come first served, $10 a night, get your water at KSC. For extended stays try to book a spot at KSC or Abol Campground one of three ways: when you see the trail runner who might be able to radio ahead, try to call HQ with your cell from atop Rainbow Ledges, or use the pay-cell phone at Abol Bridge.

rdljr
05-14-2010, 13:09
Thanks for the info, a payphone at Abol will solve all of my problems.
RDL

safn1949
05-14-2010, 13:38
Just a note,I paid for a spot in Baxter State park for the 27th of July that I will not be able to use.I will be glad to give the spot...free..to anyone that can use it,just email me so I can send you the reservation paper.:D

Sniddle
05-15-2010, 16:20
Yes to all of those but the food. Summit Katahdin June 4th, weather permitting, everything reserved, all transportation and lodging organized. I'm pumped!

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:15
Thanks so much for the to do list
No ten day food bag for us, we'll resupply at WHL and drop / resupply at Monson.
Met another southbounder for this year at Trail Days who also hiked in '07. Super excited. Another SOBO we met who hiked it in '07 said to bring the head net. They don't weigh anything, so why not carry?

D-wreck
05-17-2010, 23:01
I think a headnet is a good idea too, Blissful. I never used it while hiking, but it was nice to have while hanging out in camp. A girlscout even offered me all her money for my headnet, but I liked it too much and declined (also...she was broke).

I really wish I would have done a food drop in the middle of the wilderness, I was pretty wore out after Katahdin and the 11 days of food I carried made it worse.

Have fun MEGA's!

Blissful
05-18-2010, 17:58
We found a fellow hiker we met in '06 willing to resupply us in the 100 mile wilderness btw WHL and Monson. Plus do some slackpacking into Monson. I am very happy!