PDA

View Full Version : Kincora Stories

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2004, 18:27
Things are getting a little contentious here at Whiteblaze, what with the election and all.

I thought it'd be nice to start a more positive thread. I just got back from several weeks away, and am catching up with some correspondence. A WB member from Tennessee wrote and asked me to start up a thread on Kincora, in the hopes that folks would share some of their stories from their visits there. As most of you know, in the 8 seasons it has been open, Kincora hostel in Dennis Cove, Tennessee, about fifty Trail miles south of Damascus, has become perhaps the most legendary hiker hostel on the Trail, and its proprietors, Bob and Pat Peoples, have become two of the most beloved folks on the A.T. And there are good reasons for this.

If we get some good stories here, and I hope we do, I'll print them up in a month or so and send 'em to Bob and Pat as a Thanksgiving present; it should make a nice surprise as he's not an Internet kinda guy.

That being said, I hope some of you have some good stories to share. I've gotta bunch, but I'll hold off til I hear some of the others. In any case, I thought this was nice idea, and Bob and Pat will get a kick out if it.

Lastly, I was just there last week. Bob and Pat are doing great, and had a great season. Those of you who stayed there and never sent them a summit shot should take a moment and do it, or if you've done so already, think about sending along a "Hello!" card, especially if your visit there was awhile ago. They always love to hear from hikers, especially former guests.

stickman
10-26-2004, 20:13
I won't make this long, but my son and I had to cut short a section hike this summer due to a medical problem, and Bob gave us a ride up to Damascus where our car was parked. He was very gracious and entertained us on the ride up with stories about the trail. It made me want to just hang around for another day or two just to learn what the man has to teach. When I can resume the section, I'll plan for a couple of days at Kincora just to pick up again on the great conversation!

Stickman

rocket04
10-26-2004, 21:42
To put it simply, Bob is THE reason why I did hardcore this year. I had originally not planned on stopping for Trail Days at all, but ended up stopping to see some hikers I would probably not see again. And there comes Bob by the outfitter trying to recruit people for hardcore. I didn't even know about hardcore, the only thing I knew is that I couldn't say no. Not to Bob. This man provides you with a bed, towel, laundry, phone, kitchen, shuttles and asks for a $4 donation. And shuttles doesn't describe the dedication. When I had stayed at Kincora's, Bob gave us a ride so we can eat at a restaurant and re-supply at the supermarket. And what does he do while we do all this stuff? Why, he sits by the truck and waits for us! I was very touched by his generosity and I encourage everybody to not only stay at Kincora's, but also to do some trail work because I'm certain Bob really appreciates it. I don't know what else to say. What a guy!

Freeze
10-26-2004, 22:19
Kincora is a great place. Bod and his wife are very nice people.
Can we start a humourus pole on kincora and the following 2 questions?

1) Did you throw up in the back of Bob's truck riding back from the all you can eat chinese?

2) How many people cursed the person responsible for the 18 mile re-route before kincora, only to find out later Bod was the man responsible for it? :D (Oops) :D

If you were there this past year, i know those questions are bringing back some memories and a smile to you face!
laters.

The Mailman
10-27-2004, 06:54
This year I had the good fortune to hike into Kinkora on April 30th, which happens to be New Years Eve on the Celtic Calendar. Bob was cooking an Irish feast for everyone, people already there were peeling potatoes etc. Here's what I wrote in my journal that night:

We're staying at the Kinkora Hikers Hostel, and we seem to have timed it just right. They're putting on a feast tonight to celebrate the Celtic New Year, which starts tomorrow. We're having corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, green beans, soda bread, beer bread, cider, trifle, cock-a-leekie soup and onion pie. Just finished gorging myself, what a meal! And all that the hosts ask for is a $4 donation! Unreal!

Needless to say, I left quite a bit more than the $4 Bob asked for. The following morning, Bob was up early, collecting the morning dew. He then sprinkled it on all of us, another Celtic tradition to protect us from sickness and injury in the coming year. It worked for me - I completed my thru hike on August 21st.

gravityman
10-27-2004, 10:44
My wife and I stayed at Kincora for, oh, I don't know how many days in 2001. It was a tough place to leave! He was just so INCREDIBLE generous. I can't think of anyone I have ever met that touched me the way Bob's integrity did. First off, my wife was having a really tough time with a stomach issue almost since the start of the trail. He drove us to the clinic and picked us up without a thought of inconvience. Slackpacking was offered, again, without a though to his troubles. He suggested we stay to do some trail maintence up on Roan. Everyone there was tripping on themselves to help out. Then, he acts as if it was the nicest thing in the world, and gives us all patches. Plus we just had a BLAST while there. I can't imagine a better hostel. And you can't give him ANYTHING. Everytime someone tries to give him extra money, he just turns it in to something for the hostel. I've never seen a human being like that! I aspire to have the love and dedication to something in my life that Bob has to the trail.

Gravity Man and Tuffie GA-WV '01
Gravity and Danger Pea GA-ME '05 !!!!!! and we will be spending some serious time at kincora again!

grrickar
10-27-2004, 17:42
How many trail miles is it from Kincora to Hot Springs? That may have to be my next section hike...

Lone Wolf
10-27-2004, 18:01
It is 136 miles.

windwalker
11-17-2004, 17:14
I am looking for a shuttle for a section hike. Bob Peoples was recommended. Plz send email or phone to [email protected]

The Will
11-17-2004, 19:12
I had the privilege of staying at Kincora during its inaugural season. By the time Bob and Pat had the place ready to take in hikers it was too late to get information sent in to the ATC to be included in the Thru-Hiker Handbook, so finding out about it was a word-of-mouth process. I remember even then, in their first season, hikers commenting that Kincora would quickly become the premiere stop on the trail.

I don’t have any specific stories from my experience other than an example of Bob’s generosity. A hiker had arrived the day before I did and Bob gave her a ride into town. I arrived the next day along with 5 others and again, Bob made the trip into town and waited while we ran our errands at the outfitter, the grocery store and take-out pizza joint. The following morning, another hiker came and Bob again gave them a ride into town. I don’t recall the exact distance to Hampton, but it was time consuming on the winding, mountain roads. Bob made these trips with an expedience that suggested it was his duty, but his attitude clearly revealed that it was his pleasure to offer his assistance. Most impressive.

The Will

MEGA ‘97

Lint
11-18-2004, 00:31
Bob and Pat were fantastic. I was feeling really guilty this summer after missing all the Ice Age Trail work projects, and Hardcore gave me a chance to give back to the trail I was walking. There are alot of great hostels along the way from Georgia to Maine, but none rival the unabashed generosity of Kincora.

oyvay
11-18-2004, 01:07
Bob and Pat are definitely two (of many!) reasons to keep coming back to the AT to hike. I have not hiked over the newly relocated AT from 19E to Dennis Cove, but I had experienced the old route! It may be five miles longer, but at least the many ups and downs and ups and downs have been eliminated. EVERY stream you walked down to and immediately after crossing up! Not that high, but just tiring. The Roller coaster in N. VA wasn't that bad in comparision! Besides when I do hike over that section it will be with pride from helping make part of it! :D

Jaybird
11-18-2004, 10:41
WOW, what a LOVE-FEST this forum has turned into...BUT, for once....its SO WELL DESERVED!

I've stayed @ Kinkora Hostel twice....2003 & 2004.
TeePee & I eneded our hike there in 2003...TeePee had actually had a foot problem & we hiked into Dennis Cove up to Kinkora & Pat Peoples welcomed us like we were long lost relatives! We had the whole hostel to ourselves....it was like our own little paradise...our own oasis. We had some great conversation & a cup of tea with her....(TeePee met Bob later)...i went on the next morning & "slack-packed" over to Hwy 321 while Bob peoples shuttled TeePee into Hampton to our car.

2004: We, remembering last years great expereince, decided to start our section hike (Hampton,TN to Damascus,VA) @ Kinkora with our friends Bob & Pat Peoples... To our surrpise, there were other guests there, many in fact....a couple from VA, Ruth from Ga., "Pisses in Wind" also from GA, a young section hiker from Maine, & TeePee & I...that October Sunday night.

We had great conversation that night with the fellow hikers & Bob Peoples entertained us with quite a few tales about other hikers stories....some including the name: "Baltimore Jack"....& "Lone Wolf" hehehehehe :D

Bob shuttled TeePee & i to our "starting point" Hwy 321/Watauga Lake & pointed us north.....

THanks Bob & Pat for hosting us hikers...you two are the reason KINKORA is........"the friendliest hostel on the trail!"

Tractor
11-18-2004, 20:03
"I've gotta bunch, but I'll hold off til I hear some of the others."

It's almost Thanksgiving and there have been several posts. Is it time for a tale or three from thee?

Jack Tarlin
11-19-2004, 17:08
Several years ago there was a guy on the Trail who evidently had a few personal issues to work out....it was obvious that there were some rather unusual things going on above this guy's neck.

It was also obvious that he didn't have two nickels to rub together, as his gear was either totally inadequate or in some cases non-existent.

The rumor was that he's been discovered in some trail town in Georgia----maybe Helen, maybe Hiawassee---while rummaging for cans or dumpster diving or some such. The local cop or sheriff had asked him how he came to be there, and in the course of the conversation, the guy told the cop that he'd walked there, and that he "liked to walk." The cop put the guy in his cruiser,drove him out to the nearest Trailhead, pointed out the A.T., and said "You like to walk? Good! Now start walkin', boy!"

And this is how the guy got on the Trail. Amazingly, he made it to Kincora, something like 400 miles down the line.

By the time he'd arrived there, Bob had heard about him, as he was rather well known on the Trail, mainly for having rather involved, and rather loud, conversations with himself.

Bob was also concerned about the guy's gear, as amazingly, he had no backpack. Instead, he was carrying all his stuff in one of those 5-gallon white plasic buckets, used to hold spackle or sheet-rocking compound, or something like that. The guy had hiked 400 miles with a bucket!

Bob was very concerned about this, and wanted to help the guy out, but he also knew that the hiker was adamant about accepting no charity or handouts....he didn't want to be seen as a bum or a trail mooch.

Amazingly, in the course of a short conversation, Bob convinced the guy that he (Bob) really NEEDED a 5-gallon plastic bucket for various chores, in fact Bob told the guy that this was EXACTLY what he'd been looking for. After a short talk, Bob agreed to "trade" the guy a used backpack for the bucket, even tho the guy said he was actually happy with the bucket. However, he agreed with the swap in order to help Bob out!

Moral of the story: The guy hiked out with a working backpack, and Bob was able to help the guy out without hurting the guy's feeling or offending his dignity. The psychology at work here was amazing to see.....Bob did what needed to be done, but only when he was convinced he could do so in such a way that left the hiker heading North with his head held high, and feeling good that he'd helped Bob out.

And this is so representative of Bob-----everyone gets treated the same by him, with kindness, friendship, and dignity. Bob could care less if you're a two-star general, a retired CEO, a college president, or whatever. He's een 'em all in his time, and everyone's greeted with open arms and a smile regardless of whether they're worth a million bucks or carrying a pail.

For eight seasons now, this is how Bob and Pat have run their hostel, and it's one of my absolute favorite places on the whole Trail.

P.S. The bucket is still at Kincora, I think in the laundry room. True to his word, Bob "needed" it and found a useful place for it. As for the hiker, I think he made it to Maine.

If anyone else wants to add a story or comments about Kincora, please do so; on Monday morning I'm going to print up this thread and send it to Bob and Pat for Thanksgiving. So if you have a quick story to tell, or just want to say hello to Bob and Pat, here's your chance!

Footslogger
11-19-2004, 17:28
No fantastic stories ...just fantastic memories of a man, his wife and a magic place called Kincora.

Whenever I'm at Kincora I feel a bit like I'm home. Guess that's just the way Bob and Pat run the place.

It feels good to call Bob and Pat friends and to have them feel the same towards me and the wife (BadAss Turtle).

All the best on this upcoming Thanksgiving ...and many more !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

A-Train
11-19-2004, 17:36
I don't have a story of any interest, but I'll relate my experience.

I came down the road and into Kincorra as Bob and a truck-load of hikers were heading to town. It was sometime in late afternoon and I had trucked it all day in the rain to get there, to go to town. He told me to hop in. Another hiker behind me by a few minutes was also dying to go into town. I knew she'd be bummed if she missed going to town to shop. Of course, Bob waited.

There was a huge spread of food when we got back and tons of hikers. There wasn't any room, but Bob offered letting me sleep on his couch, knowing how much I'd wanted to stay here.

Eventually one of my trailfriends folks had arrived, and offered to put some of us up in a cabin down the road, so we took off for the night. The next day I headed back to Kincorra and spent a half day there, so as not to miss the whole experience and magic of the place. Bob was nice enough to hold our maildrops and didn't care that we didn't stay with him (in fact he was probably relieved since he was full!). Never the less, we still dropped our donation for Bob's great kindness and the ability to get to town. I loved his weather reports, and all the AT pictures and articles around the place. Such a homey feel to it. I never did get to meet Pat, as I believe she may have been away.

Definately looking forward to heading back here someday soon, to do some trail maintenance and to hopefully give back a little of what Bob gives to the trail everyday. Lastly, he assured us the Trail north of Kincorra was true to the profiles, unlike the trail south of the hostel. We all gave him a hard time about the PUDS! But all in good fun

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sly
05-11-2005, 21:26
See those steps leading up to the hostel?

We helped Bob put them in, in '97 (pre-deck days). One of the first groups to stay there, there's a prominent pic of us there somewhere! :)

It's awesome to see that Bob and Pat are still in "business" taking care of the hikers and that the hikers are responding, many helping, taking care of the trail.

:sun

TOW
05-12-2005, 10:16
I'll never forget hiking into Kincora in and around Feb '01. I had stayed at the first shelter south the night before and there had been a blizzard with strong winds. When I hiked out of there I came across one tree after another across the trail. Since I carried a bow saw I sawed a path, not only for myself but for those behind as well. Then I began hearing a chainsaw as I was working on my last tree. I got thru and came upon Bob and Pat who had just finished sawing. They didn't tell me who they were but told me when I got to the road that I could either go left or right and there was a hostel in either direction. They did say, now that I remember that if I did go to the Kincora to go on in and make myself at home and that someone would be about. I had heard enough about Dennis Hutchins place that I decided to go to Kincora. About an hour later here comes Bob. I didn't have very much money and Bob told me not to worry about it and to stay as long as I needed. I offered to do some work for stay and I think I ended up splitting some wood and cleaning the cabin. The man took me to the store and still would not even hear of money. He said to me that he had been a fighter pilot and had did alot of wars from the air, never seeing any action on the ground. He felt grateful to be alive and when he could he would pass what was so freely given to him. You see I was homeless at that time and I lived out on that trail for about 3 years. It was the people that I met like Bob and Pat that helped restore into me a right way of thinking. I seen alot of fighting and have been in a few battles and am just now gettin around to being able to talk a bit about it. And even though those battles were not in a military sense, they were war none the less. I too am very grateful to be alive and sitting on this 'puter saying thankyou Bob for your words of encouragement along that journey I was on. I have told many about you, especially my father.

I saw Bob later that year at Trail Days and was able to pass along some good tidings as well. Once I got to Damascus I was able to attain work with Ron and Deb and then at the Old Mill as the labor foreman, but that's another story......

wanderer

Diomede
02-08-2006, 00:13
Where exactly is this place? Is it on maps or what? Will it be 'open' in early March? I'd love some more information as I'm going to be going right through this section of the trail. Thanks guys

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2006, 00:21
It's in Dennis Cove, TN, 50.2 miles before you get to Damascus VA (2005 mileage figure).

About 24 miles north of Rt. 19E, you'll hit a road crossing. There'll be a sign saying "Kincora Hiker Hostel"; Bob and Pat's driveway is .2 to your left, just walk down the road til you see the Kincora mailbox.

Bob will indeed be open for his 10th season of helping out hikers, and you'd be crazy to miss this place.

It will be open in March; as far as I know, it's open year-round, unless Bob and Pat are away for some well-needed rest and vacation.

the goat
02-08-2006, 09:00
i love kincora, in '01 a group of southbounders gathered in hampton at braemor castle for thanksgiving dinner. when bob got wind that we were going to do a short 8-mile day to kincora on the day after, he drove to hampton and picked up our leftovers and drove them back to kincora so that we could have another thanksgiving feast. imagine our surprise to have turkey & stuffing in the fridge upon our arrival!

bob also entertained with trail stories that night, it was my first introduction to the name "Baltimore Jack".....man, he's got some funny stories a/b you, Jack:D

Doc
02-08-2006, 09:11
I have to add my story, if only to show how dumb I can be at times. I was doing a section of the trail three years ago, working towards finishing all of the trail south of Virginia. Prior to actually hiking I was reading online journals which refered to Bob People's great stories. One in particular had to do with his ROTC experiences at the University of Massachusetts. Was that ever a coincidence or what. That was the very same place that I went to school, although presumably many years before Bob. I looked forward to visiting with this guy and telling him about the old days at UMass and see if it was the same when he went there. Off I went, hiking the lovely southern trail during the day and not giving much thought to the visit to this Bob Peoples guy. However, one night while relaxing I began to think somewhat clearer than I had been doing for a while and remembered the name. It was the same name as one of my close friends at UMass, one of three guys who, along with me, struggled through four years of college. After graduation we all went our seperate ways and did not stay in touch with each other. Maybe it was the same Bob Peoples. When I hit town I called and talked to Pat. I told her that I might be an old friend, but that I wouldn't give her my name. I asked the usual questions such as did Bob graduate from UMass in a certain year, did he grow up in Medford, and other identifying questions. Sure enough, same guy. I told Pat that Bob should be prepared to see an old friend, but told her nothing else. A few days later I dragged in sweaty, dirty, and with much less hair on top than was the case in 1965 and a full beard now. Bob took one look and instantly recognized me after 39 years. We spent the next day catching up on old times and talking about our common interest in the stewardship of the AT. Still a successful organizer like he was 39 years ago, he quickly began enlisting me in trail maintainance projects. I'm still amazed that it took me so long to make the connection that Kincora's Bob Peoples was the same fellow that was part of our foursome in college.

Doc

Big Oz
02-08-2006, 10:52
do they have a website

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 10:59
No website.

veteran
02-08-2006, 13:06
Kincora Hostel

TOPO Map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4013299&e=398836&s=50&size=m&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25)

Diomede
02-08-2006, 15:02
If one was interested in do Trail work, would Bob have stuff to be done? It seems like its kind of recommended that if you stay there then you help out on the trail. Are there any kind of community service hours that may be attained?

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2006, 18:05
He's always got some sort of Trail project in the works, or maybe there's something he might need help with around the hostel. He'll be thrilled if you ask!

His biggest project is the annual "Hardcore" event, which takes place immediately after Trail Days in Damascus; this is a two-day trailwork project which seems to get bigger, and seems to accomplish more, every year. Last year there were over 100 participants. You can find out more about it from Bob or at Trail Days.

I don't think anyone takes part in this for any sort of service awards or recognition. They do it because they want to, because they want to help ob, and because they want to help the Trail.

Lugnut
02-09-2006, 01:09
Bob wrote me recently that this years hardcore project is a shelter at mountaineer falls (where ever that is). Maybe on the new relo we did last year? Anyway, the more hands the better. I've never heard anyone say they regretted the time spent working with Bob. If you can't make it to hardcore then stop by any time. Like Jack said, Bob will be happy you offered to help and you will be even happier that you did!

RITBlake
02-09-2006, 01:51
2) How many people cursed the person responsible for the 18 mile re-route before kincora, only to find out later Bod was the man responsible for it? :D (Oops) :D

guilty, Bob was cool about it. We laughed it off.

Bob was real cool, I learned so much about the trail that night, we spent an hour during dinner talking w/ Bob just about the AT, how its maintained, etc very interesting.

UCONNMike
02-09-2006, 01:56
guilty, Bob was cool about it. We laughed it off.

Bob was real cool, I learned so much about the trail that night, we spent an hour during dinner talking w/ Bob just about the AT, how its maintained, etc very interesting.

Gotta love Bob...

Knees
02-10-2006, 11:18
Bob wrote me recently that this years hardcore project is a shelter at mountaineer falls (where ever that is). Maybe on the new relo we did last year? Anyway, the more hands the better. I've never heard anyone say they regretted the time spent working with Bob. If you can't make it to hardcore then stop by any time. Like Jack said, Bob will be happy you offered to help and you will be even happier that you did!

If I remember correctly, this is the nifty little falls that you walk over (it's pretty, but not large) a bit before Kincora. With the relos in the area, this would be adding a shelter so that there wouldn't be 18mi or whatever between shelters.

If this is the place I remember, there is a campsite just before the falls that is probably where they'll build the shelter. I also recall Bob saying something about a college group finding the falls and that's where the name came from.

Trail Yeti
02-10-2006, 13:52
Mountaineer Falls is in (or near) the Bitter End relo that HC has been working on for a couple of years. It was named by ASU students who helped build that section.....Its not very big, but it is nice. Lugnut I thik its south of where we worked last year.

Groucho
02-10-2006, 14:45
If I remember correctly, this is the nifty little falls that you walk over (it's pretty, but not large) a bit before Kincora. With the relos in the area, this would be adding a shelter so that there wouldn't be 18mi or whatever between shelters.

If this is the place I remember, there is a campsite just before the falls that is probably where they'll build the shelter. I also recall Bob saying something about a college group finding the falls and that's where the name came from.

Yes, it is on the relo.

Click http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/landforms/m.php?wpt=CTF014

One of the topos will show where it is. Go on down page for picture.

Nean
02-11-2006, 03:06
I visited w/ Bob today and shared a few stories!:)

passinBYE
03-21-2006, 21:51
I have drove by there 50 times..and have read numerous threads on Bob..
, well last week I went to Damascus and stopped at Mt. Rogers Outfitters , after speaking with Dave and Jeff ..I felt compelled to stop by and talk with Bob...and ask him if I could help him with trail maintainence...he said he would be glad to have me... He said they usually do trail maintainence on Tuesdays..... so if there is any other local WB readers like myself..see you on Tuesday

Doctari
03-22-2006, 00:05
Only met Pat, for about 2 minutes. Left my truck there for a section hike. A very nice lady said, sure, just park there. However, I gave myself the $0.02 tour, was very impressed, there is even a private room(ish) for making phone calls, a full kitchen, fantastic toilet & shower facilities, neat deck & ample tent area. On my return, Pat & Bob were out doing trail angel stuff I'm sure, but Baltimore Jack was there, we conversed briefly, showed me where the donation went, & tried to figure out a place for me to stay (Yep, they were full) No luck/No thing, I needed to return to Erwin for gear left there, so stayed in Erwin again.

Hope to stay there some day, and do the "Hardcore" sounds like fun.

Doctari.

ShelterLeopard
07-15-2009, 20:36
It's in Dennis Cove, TN, 50.2 miles before you get to Damascus VA (2005 mileage figure).

About 24 miles north of Rt. 19E, you'll hit a road crossing. There'll be a sign saying "Kincora Hiker Hostel"; Bob and Pat's driveway is .2 to your left, just walk down the road til you see the Kincora mailbox.

Bob will indeed be open for his 10th season of helping out hikers, and you'd be crazy to miss this place.

It will be open in March; as far as I know, it's open year-round, unless Bob and Pat are away for some well-needed rest and vacation.

So it is actually on the AT, right? Or .2 miles off, or whatever. (And it is still open, right)

Lugnut
07-15-2009, 21:25
Still open.

High Life
07-15-2009, 21:44
met bob " 501 " the new wingfoot guide owner in 2007
at kincora .. it was cool to watch him and bob people sit and talk for a few
while "501" was going around trying to get info on the trail
the trail work around that area was incredible ..

kayak karl
07-15-2009, 22:28
So it is actually on the AT, right? Or .2 miles off, or whatever. (And it is still open, right)
it is a MUST stop:)

Ron Haven
07-15-2009, 23:56
met bob " 501 " the new wingfoot guide owner in 2007
at kincora .. it was cool to watch him and bob people sit and talk for a few
while "501" was going around trying to get info on the trail
the trail work around that area was incredible ..I really like Bob 501 McCaw.He seems to be a great person in every way.

Jeff
07-16-2009, 06:20
So glad to see this thread resurrected. Kincora and Bob are the reason my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester, VT for AT and Long Trail hikers.

Cabin Fever
07-16-2009, 06:27
I have the fortune of being in the same club as Bob and the freedom of dropping in Kincora on a whim. Bob is one of the greatest men I have ever met. He has lived a life of service in many meanings - husband, father, Air Force, trail crew, hostel owner and friend. We (men) should all strive to follow his example.

Some of my favorite trail experiences are doing rock work with him on trail maintenance days with TEHCC. Not Hard Core because too many people are attached to him, but rather on small TEHCC outings when there's less than 15 of us. It's a joy to work side by side with a man of that calibur.

Tennessee Viking
07-16-2009, 08:26
Has he gotten back from his European pilgrimage hike yet?

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2009, 09:06
Well, it has definitely been highlighted in my guidebook- and I found it on the map. Only .2 off the trail? Awesome...

Lybarger
07-16-2009, 17:19
Fantastic hostel. Best enjoyed shortly after the thruhiker bubble has past.

Jack Tarlin
07-16-2009, 19:38
Wow. Amazing. I started this thread almost five years ago.

Am very glad somebody revived it, and very glad that folks STILL have great Kincora stories to tell.

This is a very unique place, as anyone who's been there knows, and I hope the 2010 people are marking this thread, so sometime next Spring, they make sure and stop for a day or two in Dennis Cove.

Cuz otherwise, they'll have to do it again later and come back that way again.....

You miss Kincora on your thru-hike, you dropped the ball, end of story.

toegem
07-16-2009, 19:47
Stay there on a section hike Bob is one heck of a person, I hope to visit Kincora again this fall to start a 2 week section hike in Va.

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2009, 22:40
So glad to see this thread resurrected. Kincora and Bob are the reason my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester, VT for AT and Long Trail hikers.

Wait, wait, wait. Hostel? In Manchester Vermont? Is it still open? Why didn't I know about this? This changes my resupply day in Manchester completely!!! (If you're still open, of course)

AUhiker90
01-20-2010, 15:33
Already marked this for a stop. I have only heard wonderful things about Kincora. Cant wait!

Old graymare
02-26-2010, 21:32
I have stayed at Kincora a few times on my section hikes. Listening to his stories and his take on different characters, with that twinkle in his eyes makes me smile. . When he offers advice, he knows what he is talking about. His encouragement and discriptions of trail sections, have truly kept me going. He is a sweetheart.

Lumberjack2003
02-27-2010, 20:13
Fantastic hostel. Best enjoyed shortly after the thruhiker bubble has past.

I second that. I was there while Trail Days was going on and really enjoyed it. Bob is great and I really apprecited all the help and advice that he gave me.

Sly
02-27-2010, 20:47
Wait, wait, wait. Hostel? In Manchester Vermont? Is it still open? Why didn't I know about this? This changes my resupply day in Manchester completely!!! (If you're still open, of course)

They're listed in the 2010 Companion. Jeff is also a fellow field editor.

w4ofw4of
06-09-2011, 11:36
http://maps.google.com/?q=1278%20Dennis%20Cove%20Rd,%20Hampton,%20TN%2037 658 (http://maps.google.com/?q=1278%20Dennis%20Cove%20Rd,%20Hampton,%20TN%2037 658)

Jack Tarlin
06-09-2011, 11:46
This thread will be seven years old in a few months. Amazing! Keep the stories coming, especially you guys who've been there recently!

LittleBearK
01-30-2012, 16:06
Does Kincora hostel offer a mail drop? Also, there is a 4 donation listed, are there laundry costs, etc? Planning a zero there after all I have heard about it!!! :)

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2012, 16:17
Does Kincora hostel offer a mail drop? Also, there is a 4 donation listed, are there laundry costs, etc? Planning a zero there after all I have heard about it!!! :)

I got a maildrop there last year. Can't imagine why he wouldn't keep taking them now ... does your guidebook not say? The $4 suggested donation covers everything.

Also, I love Kincora and think it's a fantastic place, but I wouldn't take a zero there. It's small, likely to be crowded, and far out of town. 2 1/2 days later, you'll be in Damascus, which is an awesome place for a zero. I'm sure you'll figure it out as you go.

wornoutboots
01-31-2012, 00:41
This October after climbing sobo from the rain into the sleet & into the snow to Iron Mountain Shelter & spending a cold damp night there, I woke up put on frozen boots & I was determined to get to lower elevation & out of the continued bad weather. I ended up hiking 24 miles & night hiking the last hour or so into Kincora. It was perfect timing! As I opened the bunk house door, about 6 fellow hikers going both Sobo & Nobo looked at me & the first thing they said was "Are you hungry, Dinner is just about ready" music to my ears!! They fed me a huge breakfast for dinner complete with kielbasa(sp) fried potatoes, fresh vegtables omlettes, french toast, salads & more. It looked like Bob's love was spreading!! I asked what I owed & they just said you've had a long day, just help with the dishes. The next day Bob noticed that I must have come in after dark & he drove me down to Browns Store to resupply & we had a long great conversion. I wish I could remember all the hikers there that night but I only have a few, Ayla, Brennen, skinnylegs, Saltydog were a few & the others I can't remember were heading nobo to Damascus.

mountain squid
01-31-2012, 21:26
Yes, Kincora does accept maildrops. The suggested donation is now $5 however.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)