PDA

View Full Version : Weather Site

Ladytrekker
05-13-2010, 21:58
I have been searching everywhere to get weather conditions of the mountains found this site. I did a search but could not find it on Whiteblaze it is pretty cool. I was trying to find the temps at Springer and Blood and this site has it. And it will let you select elevations.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Springer-Mountain/metar

OK I am about done I'll quit and go to bed.

modiyooch
05-13-2010, 22:32
I like this one. http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I just checked it out and the whole trail is forecasted for rain.

Bear Cables
05-14-2010, 14:48
Thanks for the link! I can check it the day before we leave for our hike and know if I can leave anything in the car.

modiyooch
05-14-2010, 23:09
Thanks for the link! I can check it the day before we leave for our hike and know if I can leave anything in the car.
Surely, you jest. My husband tried this once, and we woke up to snow. To this day, he talks about how cold that trip was, and I was just fine.

Graywolf
05-14-2010, 23:48
Actually, if you google, "Blood Mountain Weather" you will come to a site that gives you the weather forecast. It is one of the first links that comes up. I used it last year to plan my hike and am paying attention to it again this year prior to my upcoming hike in August..

Good Luck,

Graywolf

Bear Cables
05-15-2010, 02:02
Surely, you jest. My husband tried this once, and we woke up to snow. To this day, he talks about how cold that trip was, and I was just fine.

What? Are you saying that weather forcasting is unreliable :) There is only one night on our hike when we won't be in a shelter in the Smokies as we are starting at Max Patch road and first night won't be in the smokies. I am trying to decide weather I need my tent or just my tarp. Thinking if 12 hours out the weather is fair then I can leave the tent in the car and just bring the tarp.

JAK
05-15-2010, 02:38
I read a short story long ago, by Shirley Jackson I think it was, of an old weatherman that lived in a weather tower, like the kind they used to use for fire towers. He got so good at predicting the weather that he sensed that he could then control it also, and the trauma that resulted from this sense of responsibility eventually did him in. Since then we have come down from our towers and so this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen so much today, but I still fell sorry sometimes, for the old weatherman.

JAK
05-15-2010, 03:03
Good morning Weathercock: How did you fare last night?
Did the cold wind bite you, did you face up to the fright
When the leaves spin from October
and whip around your tail?
Did you shake from the blast, did you shiver through the gale?

Give us direction; the best of goodwill ---
Put us in touch with fair winds.
Sing to us softly, hum evening's song ---
Tell us what the blacksmith has done for you.

Do you simply reflect changes in the patterns of the sky,
Or is it true to say the weather heeds the twinkle in your eye?
Do you fight the rush of winter; do you hold snowflakes at bay?
Do you lift the dawn sun from the fields and help him on his way?

Good morning Weathercock: make this day bright.
Put us in touch with your fair winds.
Sing to us softly, hum evening's song.
Point the way to better days we can share with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMm5LqWIPUw

modiyooch
05-15-2010, 07:25
What? Are you saying that weather forcasting is unreliable :) There is only one night on our hike when we won't be in a shelter in the Smokies as we are starting at Max Patch road and first night won't be in the smokies. I am trying to decide weather I need my tent or just my tarp. Thinking if 12 hours out the weather is fair then I can leave the tent in the car and just bring the tarp.Even though I do feel that the weatherman is unreliable with typical forecast, that wasn't my point. My point and concern is that the mountains have a weather of their own. I like the boy scout motto: Be Prepared. My gear is always the same , with slight difference based on the month as opposed to the extended forecast.

modiyooch
05-15-2010, 07:37
. I am trying to decide weather I need my tent or just my tarp. Thinking if 12 hours out the weather is fair then I can leave the tent in the car and just bring the tarp."You can always ask a fellow hiker if you can get into his tent." (referencing another thread) I read your pack weight thread, and I don't really think safety and preparedness should be compromised for the sake of saving weight as opposed to the amentities.