PDA

View Full Version : Bear bites hiker

SGT Rock
05-14-2010, 19:09
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/14/bear-takes-bite-out-of-hiker/

Be skeered' ya'll

GATLINBURG - A black bear bit a man on the foot this week in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park when the man got too close trying to take a photo, authorities said.

The man, whose name wasn't immediately available, let the bear get within inches of him Wednesday while hiking the Laurel Falls Trail, park spokeswoman Nancy Gray said. He didn't need treatment.

Park rangers believe they've caught the bear, a 60-pound female captured Thursday, Gray said. They'll kill it once they confirm it's the same one.

Park policy decrees an automatic death sentence for any bear that injures a human. Park officials said they're seeing more hungry, aggressive bears this year, probably due to a scarce acorn crop.

More details as they develop online and in Saturday's News Sentinel.

60 pound bear? Must have been poking a bear cub with a stick.

JERMM
05-14-2010, 19:18
"The man, whose name wasn't immediately available..."

is a dumb a$$

safn1949
05-14-2010, 19:19
I don't know what to say except he deserved to get bit.Idiot.And now the bear is done for,in this particular case I take the bears side.

Oh well,hey maybe we can pitch in and buy this guy a ticket to Kodiak,Alaska so he can demonstrate his bear photo technique to us.Lets see who wins that one.

gregp
05-14-2010, 19:21
This is probably a stupid question, but why do they have to kill the bear? Could they not just relocate it?

Sounds like the guy who got bit was the one who made the mistake by getting too close.

daddytwosticks
05-14-2010, 19:22
Euthenize the man, fine the bear (just kidding). :)

SGT Rock
05-14-2010, 19:22
Relocate the 'tard

Migrating Bird
05-14-2010, 19:28
Sorry they are about to punish the wrong party. If the guy allowed the bear to come within inches, then he is the one who needs to dealt with, not put out of his misery but made to pay for his lack of judgement. I attended Dr. Lynn Rodgers presentation on black bears and he had a slide of a guy with a ripped tee shirt and bright red scratches from his neck to navel. Dr. Rodgers explained that the large boar that did this to the guy was just trying to say " get the hell out of my space", if the bear wanted to do harm it would have gutted the guy. He stressed that they aren't teddy bears or puppy dogs.

Stupid people kill bears when it isn't even hunting season. I am not so animal rights person or anything close, but fair is fair. If the guy got bit and did not need any treatment for the bite, was he bit in the first place?

jody
05-14-2010, 19:30
If the bear has to die for the greenhorns stupidity, the bear should have been able to get a mouth full of foot for his trouble.....

Two Speed
05-14-2010, 19:35
Relocate the 'tardI'm thinking the fry vat at a fast food restaurant would be a good location.

Ding, fries are done!

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2010, 19:47
This is probably a stupid question, but why do they have to kill the bear? Could they not just relocate it?

In the past, and not just in the GSMNP, bears, even provoked as in this instance, have shown a tendency to lose fear and injure another human. Unjust as it is, I guess the bear just learns the wrong lesson. It's NPS policy...

Bear Cables
05-14-2010, 20:11
I just hate stupidity!

weary
05-14-2010, 20:12
In the past, and not just in the GSMNP, bears, even provoked as in this instance, have shown a tendency to lose fear and injure another human. Unjust as it is, I guess the bear just learns the wrong lesson. It's NPS policy...
And, I'm sad to say, a politically correct policy. Even otherwise, wise citizens, when given a choice between nipped humans and the life of a bear, will choose death for the bear.

Though White Blaze, probably wisely, chooses to ignore such subtle matters, like most issues involving conflicting uses of the trail by humans and wildlife, this happens to be a political issue, therefore inappropriate for honest discussion on White Blaze as I understand the rules.

Weary

mateozzz
05-14-2010, 20:13
Bear and man in cage match, no knives, let the best mammal win.

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2010, 21:15
And, I'm sad to say, a politically correct policy. Even otherwise, wise citizens, when given a choice between nipped humans and the life of a bear, will choose death for the bear.

Though White Blaze, probably wisely, chooses to ignore such subtle matters, like most issues involving conflicting uses of the trail by humans and wildlife, this happens to be a political issue, therefore inappropriate for honest discussion on White Blaze as I understand the rules.

I didn't venture an opinion on whether or not it was a correct policy. I will add, however, that, back around 1970, when I started hiking the GSMNP on a regular basis, the NPS estimated around 500 bears in the park. Nowadays, they estimate around 1500. A couple of ranger friends have told me that that figure is only "official," and that it's low. The GSMNP is the country's most visited park. The math indicates that there will be more and more encounters. I think a lot of the public have been "educated" with signs, brochures, etc., but it's impossible to fix "dumb as a flat rock."

Pedaling Fool
05-15-2010, 07:47
That jackass must have watched this jackass http://animal.discovery.com/tv/stranger-among-bears/

SawnieRobertson
05-15-2010, 08:47
I have written of my encounter with the Baylor bear mascot in 1951. My finger got bitten, but the bear was only pulled away, and I was only "educated verbally" by his keeper. (Thank goodness.) In 1973 at GSMNP no less, one of the ranger-led hikes was at night in a picnic area, highlighting (in the dark again) how the bears would roam between picnic sights with the people there eating their vittles. Real education can be slow. If this man was around then and received no more up-to-date information on the plight of the bears, then I understand. Otherwise, let his name and address be published. Let him be fined heavily. And let him witness the obviously young bear's execution.--Kinnickinic

Tilly
05-15-2010, 15:32
This really annoys me. This guy is a ^#$(*&^%#@$!!!!! idiot. Unfortunately this bear will be euthanized because of it.

I am not unreasonable. Last year when visiting my parents I read an article a bear incident in Vernon, NJ. Well there was a man getting ready for a business trip, and he had luggage and a Subway sandwich or something in his hands, and he loading up his car. Bear walks onto the scene, knocks the guy over, and steals his sandwich.

This is a bear that has really lost his fear of humans (although I don't recall the article saying the guy got hurt.) I totally understand trapping this said bear, but the other situation just strikes me as people being as stupid as possible and a bear paying for it. Too bad.

LIhikers
05-15-2010, 15:59
Why does a bear get a death sentence when it acts like a bear and the man gets away scott free when he acts like an donkey?
Just doesn't seem right to me. Where's PETA when you need them?

TIDE-HSV
05-15-2010, 19:11
Here is the GSMNP Facebook page on the matter. Presently 105 comments...

CLICK (http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=35104903672&share_id=110963538947140&comments=1#s110963538947140)

Graywolf
05-15-2010, 19:31
This is a no-brainer..Isn't there NPS rules stating NOT to harass teh bears or Feed the bears??Evidently thi sguy went WAY beyond that rule and he gets off scott free while the bear, a small 60 pound bear at that, gets the hammer..that is just rediculous. When is the NPS going to start enforcing this law?? They ticket hikers for not staying at shelter areas but lets a stupid dumb a@# that puts his own life at risk, KNOWINGLY, breaking the law, and he gets off free. thats is just way too beyond crossing the line.. This guy should be fined. he admitted it what happend, so why cant they see that??

Geeze, this country is getting more stupid people running it everyday..So whats next, put the victim in jail while the theif gets a way??? " Oh, sorry, but if you wouldn't have been there, this wouldn't have happened any way" , Oh please, come on..

Ok, I'll stop sounding like Glen Beck and get back to hiking...

But can someone please, for the life of hiking, tell me, whats up with our NPS???

Hyterically confused about the nature of society, Graywolf

brotheral
05-15-2010, 19:33
I camped at Elkmont twice this year. It's just a few miles west of the Laurel Falls trailhead parking. Alot of bear sightings.. Seems like nearly every evening when I'd drive past this area cars would be stopped, cameras out, and IDIOTS climbing up the hillside to get a closer shot... Just ridiculous !!! :mad::mad:
There should be "strictly enforced" laws prohibiting this with Stiff Penalties !!!!
Last year at Cades Cove I saw some people chasing a few bears across an open field with cameras in hand.
I don't know how this incident came about, but they need to do something about this behavior or fatalities are sure to come.
We're the intruders here !! :welcome

Tinker
05-15-2010, 22:08
I camped at Elkmont twice this year. It's just a few miles west of the Laurel Falls trailhead parking. Alot of bear sightings.. Seems like nearly every evening when I'd drive past this area cars would be stopped, cameras out, and IDIOTS climbing up the hillside to get a closer shot... Just ridiculous !!! :mad::mad:
There should be "strictly enforced" laws prohibiting this with Stiff Penalties !!!!
Last year at Cades Cove I saw some people chasing a few bears across an open field with cameras in hand.
I don't know how this incident came about, but they need to do something about this behavior or fatalities are sure to come.
We're the intruders here !! :welcome

Maybe we need to get folks with cameras to chase some bears in New Jersey. :p. I'm off to visit them in a few days.

moondoggie
05-16-2010, 09:19
I D I O T !!!!! If you have ever been in the Smokies, then you've seen the mass horde of dummies slam on brakes, pull over, get out and run after bears trying to get a pic or video. Leave this to professionals. I've seen Rangers just stop, and calmly disperse the crowd away from the bear or bears. He should be handing out fines!

60 lb bear? It's a shame MOMMA wasn't around :-)

Aggressive bears because of a scarce acorn crop? I praying for a BUMPER crop this year, for my thru in 2011 !!!!!

TIDE-HSV
05-16-2010, 10:34
I praying for a BUMPER crop this year, for my thru in 2011 !!!!!

I think you may be in luck. By a process which is poorly understood, at least the communication part, nut bearing trees - of all species - periodically "crash," as happened this year. It seems to be primarily a rodent control measure, because the following winter, the squirrel population also crashes. Barring drought or other stress, a bumper crop usually follows the next year. I first read of this about ten years ago and started watching it being borne out, as we live on three wooded acres with plenty of squirrels. I don't know if the deer and bear are collateral damage or part of the trees' strategy. Of course the deer and bear can change to alternative diets, even though not as nutritional as mast...

moondoggie
05-16-2010, 10:49
Yes... I have read and studied this also in wildlife biology and forestry courses in college. It does not matter whether there's lots of rain or a drought.

TIDE-HSV
05-16-2010, 10:58
I didn't mean that drought triggered the crash, far from it. Until two years ago, in our part of the SE (north AL), we had a multi-year drought. It seemed to trump the rodent control cycle, since the trees saved their energy for survival. Aside from your college, you really live in the middle of vast tree farm there... :D

East Coast Alex
05-16-2010, 11:07
Isn't there NPS rules stating NOT to harass teh bears or Feed the bears??

Evidently thi sguy went WAY beyond that rule and he gets off scott free while the bear, a small 60 pound bear at that, gets the hammer..that is just rediculous.

When is the NPS going to start enforcing this law?

The existence of one idiotic policy doesn't justify the existence of another. They are independent, and should be evaluated as such.

Just because the bear may be getting the "short end of the stick" (debatable, but the bear did do a wrong... it just seems the punishment is disproportional, given trhe lack of injury), that doesn't justify yet another bit of regulatory idiocy, where the man should also get the short end of the stick. The bureaucrats don't need to enforce more regulations. Endless regulations and enforcement of malum prohibitum trivialities is not the solution to the problem. Let people handle their own problems. People need to stop looking to mommy and daddy to solve their problems for them.

JustaTouron
05-16-2010, 13:14
What should happen to the bear and what should happen to the idiot are two different analysis.

Bear - Regardless of whose fault it is, this bear has learned not to fear humans and thus is a danger to all humans who may enter the park. Relocation will not solve the problem it will simply put different humans in danger (those who hike in the area in which the bear is relocated to). The bear must either die or spend the rest of her life in a zoo. What punishment the human recieves or does not recieve will not alter the danger this bear no poses to all hikers.

Idiot - Needs to be punished. And harshly. Obviously the message of don't mess with the wildlife 'cause its dangerous isn't getting thru. Maybe a couple of folks spending 10 years in jail for not following the rules will send a message to future idiots. At the absolute minimum this idiot should pay considerably more in fines than the total cost of capturing the bear and euthanizing it. Maybe a news headline of "man get attacked by bear pays $100,000 in fines and fees" will discourage behavior where commonsense has failed.

Discussing comparing justice - bear vs. human is just foolish.

soad
05-16-2010, 13:16
Euthenize the man, fine the bear (just kidding). :)

Take out the 'just kidding' part and I agree.

ce_rubicon
05-16-2010, 13:50
Relocate the 'tard

tard is right he's so stupid he does not deserve the re

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2010, 15:22
Shame on the photographer.... Then he reported it?

XCskiNYC
05-16-2010, 16:01
Hiker Bites Bear:welcome

Graywolf
05-16-2010, 16:20
This reminds me of an incident that happened in Big Bend national Park back in the 80's, (dont remember the date), it was on the Lost Mine Trail..A family was hiking on the Lost Mine Trail when they cross paths with a Mountain Lion.. The father proceded to put his child if front of the cat to take pictures..The cat automatically attacked the child, killing it.. Then turned and attacted the father. The cat was hunted down and killed, the father was in the hospital, never fined or punished for EVEN putting his childs life in danger..AND he openly admitted what he had done..What more dumba@#! are going to continue doing the same thing..

People like this guy in GSMNP have no business being in the outdoors, PERIOD!!! It is irresponsible, to both him and the animals...

Graywolf

Doctari
05-16-2010, 19:05
Euthanize the man, fine the bear (NOT kidding)!
Punishing the wrong person IMHO. He is what I call TSTL, bear just defending herself.

veteran
05-17-2010, 15:59
The Bear should have bitten him between his legs.

Graywolf
05-17-2010, 16:26
Remember, according to the powers that be, Men have the right to protect himself, his property, and his family against any out side force. It is completely against the law for ANY animal to defend his self, his property, and his family what so ever. No way, No how..Just cannot let that be..Animals are not suppose to be that smart.. They cannot defend them selves. If they do, they are considered a threat to ALL humanity and must be put away..PERIOD.. So all ANIMALS beware. Please read the safety manuels before ventureing into any area where you are likely to be confronted by a human..YOU WILL BE KILLED.. This is not your land anymore..:mad:

Sorry, but thats just how it is, that said, I hope the fine gentelman pays for it thourgh karma....

Graywolf

Gray Blazer
05-17-2010, 18:14
Euthanize the man, fine the bear (NOT kidding)!
Punishing the wrong person IMHO. He is what I call TSTL, bear just defending herself.

I guess that's what they mean by the right to arm bears?

Chaos_Being
05-27-2010, 12:48
What should happen to the bear and what should happen to the idiot are two different analysis.

Bear - Regardless of whose fault it is, this bear has learned not to fear humans and thus is a danger to all humans who may enter the park. Relocation will not solve the problem it will simply put different humans in danger (those who hike in the area in which the bear is relocated to). The bear must either die or spend the rest of her life in a zoo. What punishment the human recieves or does not recieve will not alter the danger this bear no poses to all hikers.

Idiot - Needs to be punished. And harshly. Obviously the message of don't mess with the wildlife 'cause its dangerous isn't getting thru. Maybe a couple of folks spending 10 years in jail for not following the rules will send a message to future idiots. At the absolute minimum this idiot should pay considerably more in fines than the total cost of capturing the bear and euthanizing it. Maybe a news headline of "man get attacked by bear pays $100,000 in fines and fees" will discourage behavior where commonsense has failed.

Discussing comparing justice - bear vs. human is just foolish.

Agree 100%. There are far, FAR too many stupid people around. No one wants to be bothered to read or follow the rules, even when they are there for their benefit. Common sense is a non-issue for most. A heavy fine and/or jail time should definitely be handed out to this moron.