PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg - would you live there if you didn't hike?

Mrs Baggins
05-15-2010, 07:33
This may not be the right forum for this.

We have friends who are in Gatlinburg right now house hunting. I think they have no clue what they're getting into. Here's the thing: These people are NOT into the outdoors in any way. They don't hike. They don't fish. They don't hunt. They spent several years in Georgia and despised every moment of it because they don't like southerners. She loves to shop - in real malls, not t-shirt and candy shops. They enjoy going out to nice restaurants. He is into knives and guns but only as collectible things and takes the occasional day at a shooting range. They are in their 50's. They only picked Tennessee because they have grand plans to work overseas,(no job offers and no work visas as yet) earn gobs of money, and keep it free of state income taxes. I say there is far more to the quality of life than the tax rate of a place you choose to live. If they don't get these dream jobs they'll be trapped in Gatlinburg.

So....if you weren't into hiking and other outdoors things, would you choose to live in Gatlinburg?? To me it's always looked like one big crowded outdoor carnival but maybe there is more than that. Right now she's sending me emails saying "It's cute. A little alpine village." :eek: This is the first time they've ever been there.

Cabin Fever
05-15-2010, 07:53
They will hate it. It is the biggest tourist trap in the eastern United States. They will still hate the southerners (why I do not know). A cute little alpine village in Tennessee is non-existent.

RLC_FLA
05-15-2010, 07:59
It could be worse, they could be looking at Pigeon Forge :D

moytoy
05-15-2010, 08:12
They need to get out more. Lots of better places in Tennessee to live than Gatlinburg whether you like the out of doors or not. Maryville for instance. Close to the mountains, close to an Airport, decent shopping in Knoxville, and kinda small town. Although not so much small town as when I was a kid there.

ce_rubicon
05-15-2010, 08:43
Maybe they are looking there in case they get the jobs so they can rent it out.

maicheneb
05-15-2010, 09:15
I wouldn't want to live in Gatlinburg, regardless. As Cabin Fever said, it's just a huge tourist trap.

bigcranky
05-15-2010, 09:22
It may be a cute little Alpine village now, but they should visit in July before they buy anything. Seriously.

wcgornto
05-15-2010, 10:32
They spent several years in Georgia and despised every moment of it because they don't like southerners.

Wow, they don't like me already and we haven't even met. I do understand their perspective because it cuts both ways. I lived in Massachusetts for several years right after university, and never quite got used to the natives. It wasn't a question of like or don't like, more a question of understanding and accepting differences. That was many years ago and I have become far more culturally aware since that time, both nationally and internationally.

If your friends don't like southerners, they might not like the natives either wherever they end up finding work. Gatlinburg sounds like a prescription for unhappiness to me. Perhaps somewhere around Nashville might be more suitable (once it dries out). Or Florida ... no state income tax, few authentic southerners left.

Spokes
05-15-2010, 11:32
YUK!!!!! Gatlinburg is known as the "Myrtle Beach of the Mountains". Heck, they even sell hermit crabs there!

I say look for real estate elsewhere..........

dmax
05-15-2010, 11:43
If they like shopping and good resturants this town would work....Although it is very expensive to find a house there.

And as you've noticed, people who enjoy the outdoors don't like the place. So it might be just right for them. You never know.

I have a bro in law who isn't into the outdoors. The wife and him bought a second house in Myrtle Beach for shopping and eating out. They love it. I don't. I prefer the OBX's.

bigcranky
05-15-2010, 11:46
Let me add that the best advice I ever got from a real estate agent was to rent for a year when moving to an entirely new area. Too easy to make an expensive mistake and buy in a neighborhood you will end up not liking. (Or, an entire town, like, er Gatlinburg.)

wcgornto
05-15-2010, 12:16
If they like shopping and good resturants this town would work....Although it is very expensive to find a house there.

There are good restaurants in Gatlinburg??? Which ones are they? Olive Garden and IHOP don't count.

Lostone
05-15-2010, 12:26
Gotta be one of the dumbest things I have ever hear.

Moving to Tennessee and they don't like Southerners, OMG. You cannot be serious. Good thing most native southerners don't like Yankees either.

A lot of clueless Americans think that going to Gatlinburg means they are into the outdoors.

I wouldn't claim these peoples friends they are too stupid.

Seeker
05-15-2010, 13:54
the foolishness of the move itself has been discussed already.

but have they really looked at the tax thing? yes, TN has no state income tax. but there ARE no more tax advantages to working overseas.... the IRS has pretty much eliminated the gaping loopholes that made overseas employment attractive, especially if they're talking about contracting work for the US Govt in iraq and afghanistan. and as a result, wages have risen to offset the additional taxes. that's why the salaries are apparently astronomical. well, that and the 12 hour days, 7 days a week. when you figure it all out, you're really applying for the right to work longer and harder, thus 'getting ahead' of your stateside peers.

they really need to talk to a GOOD accountant who is very experienced with handling overseas-employed persons income taxes. a buddy of mine recently got soaked for an additional 35K because his accountant had missed some of the fine print in the tax code.

Mrs Baggins
05-15-2010, 14:33
Thanks all. As someone who has lived in 11 states (some more than once) and 2 other countries, including Canada, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to choosing a place to live and I know about visas. But they will not listen. They're convinced they will "do it right." We know about the tax problems of working overseas and we also know that it has become nigh impossible to get a work visa for anything much except teaching English - which pays next to nothing.

Oh well. I've tried to stop the train wreck but they're right now making offers on houses. Anyway, thanks for the input and we can probably put this thread to bed now.

Surplusman
05-15-2010, 15:54
Gatlinburg is a toilet. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot of nicer places in TN to live. I lived in Clarksville for four years, and while that was no garden spot either, I would prefer living there over G'burg any day. TN is a beautiful state, despite Gatlinburg.

jody
05-15-2010, 16:27
It breaks my heart to see the carnival atmosphere the powers that be turned Gatlinburg into. I've traveled there many times but NOT for the circus scene! I have read every book I can get my hands on about how it used to be, by the people who lived there before it was turned into the park. We travel the back roads, rent cabins far from town, and spend our time in the park. When I go there, its the past I am looking for and thinking about. You CAN live there and NOT have to go into downtown Gatlinburg, if the mountains and its history are what you are there for. With that said, I cannot understand WHY someone "who does not like southerners" would chose to live in southern territory! They sound like they would be better suited living somewhere say like Connecticut or Massachusetts where they would probably fit right in!! I was born and raised in Chicago IL and there is no way in _ell I would trade my TN home or my heritage to ever live there again!!

Graywolf
05-15-2010, 19:09
Hmmmm...Movin to Tennesee and dont like Southerners...Hmmmm..Sounds like suicide to me..Why dont youtell them to move into Montgomery Alabama, they are still close to the Mountains, the Southern Appalachians anyway, AND they will be a lot close to the knoose they want to tie around their neck...

Sounds like a stupid move, and a stupid reason to move..Where are they from anyway?? No Clue at all...

WoW!! And I thought I have heard everything....Im going out to fly my Stars and Bars Flag right now...

Graywolf

Phreak
05-15-2010, 19:11
Hell-to-the-NO. :eek:

Roan Creeper
05-15-2010, 19:19
I live an in TN 1.5 hrs from G-burg and I wouldn't want to live in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. I can't stand PF, but at least in G-burg in a few minutes you can be in some beautiful areas.

If they don't Southerners or outdoors, then G-burg isn't for them.

It's a place I visit 1-2x per year because I have to...

Mountain Wildman
05-15-2010, 19:35
It breaks my heart to see the carnival atmosphere the powers that be turned Gatlinburg into. I've traveled there many times but NOT for the circus scene! I have read every book I can get my hands on about how it used to be, by the people who lived there before it was turned into the park. We travel the back roads, rent cabins far from town, and spend our time in the park. When I go there, its the past I am looking for and thinking about. You CAN live there and NOT have to go into downtown Gatlinburg, if the mountains and its history are what you are there for. With that said, I cannot understand WHY someone "who does not like southerners" would chose to live in southern territory! They sound like they would be better suited living somewhere say like Connecticut or Massachusetts where they would probably fit right in!! I was born and raised in Chicago IL and there is no way in _ell I would trade my TN home or my heritage to ever live there again!!

Forget Connecticut,
You have to make 100,000 per year just to be near middle class, And they have 7.5% Sales tax and State tax.
And traffic like New York City at rush hour. Connecticut is a nice place to live if you don't have to leave your house.

Alligator
05-15-2010, 20:56
Thanks all. As someone who has lived in 11 states (some more than once) and 2 other countries, including Canada, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to choosing a place to live and I know about visas. But they will not listen. They're convinced they will "do it right." We know about the tax problems of working overseas and we also know that it has become nigh impossible to get a work visa for anything much except teaching English - which pays next to nothing.

Oh well. I've tried to stop the train wreck but they're right now making offers on houses. Anyway, thanks for the input and we can probably put this thread to bed now.OK, good night thread.