PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike in 4 1/2 weeks?

Powder River
05-15-2010, 10:09
I will have only from August 5 to September 5 to hike this summer, and was wondering if it would be reasonable to attempt a thru hike of the CT in that time. I can keep a solid 2.5 to 3 mph pace and have no problem doing 20 mile days, but I also want to enjoy it and summit 2 or 3 14ers. I have not been on the CT so Im unfamiliar with how strenuous it is. Thanks for your input!

Powder River

Mags
05-15-2010, 11:51
That's only 16 MPD o average. Very doable...

Jut acclimate a day or two before starting and you'll be fine. :)

Dogwood
05-15-2010, 12:11
Well, I'm planning on 5 wks for a CT thru starting no later than mid July going SOBO which will help acclimate to steeper climbs and higher elevs further along. I'm planning to hit the trail in hiking shape though. I'm doing some short side trips off the CT too and I'll probably wind up taking 2 or 3 "zeros." I'll mail 3 resupply boxes(with fuel inclosed) near the trail to save some time and buy in a few other areas. I'm having somene drop me off at the northern terminus from Denver International AP. I'm going UL. My best guess is 20 m/day avg. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. 5 wks should do it.

I was originally planning a CDT NOBO but last minute work committments(Ugh!, &%$#) have altered my hiking plans so from Durango I'll switch to the CDT going SOBO. I'm still looking at possible scenarios but perhaps I'll hike some of the other higher elevs of the CDT in CO to get those weather problematic miles out of the way in prep for doing the rest of the CDT next yr. I would appreciate Mags opinion on this.

echoes
05-15-2010, 14:19
It's definitely possible. I'm starting on July 1st and I hope to finish sometime in the first week of August. I'll be taking a couple zero days and I plan on climbing two or three 14ers as well.

Swofford11
05-19-2010, 21:12
I plan on taking about the same time....

I'm taking three 0's and plan on climbing 1 maybe two 14ers if the weather is nice.

I'll start my hike on June 23....Brek in 6 days and then see how the rest feels.