PDA

View Full Version : New to backpacking

clb
05-15-2010, 11:34
I am 55, female, and new to backpacking. I have spent time analyzing my gear, getting weight down, and FINALLY found a pack that works for me.
I loaded it up this morning and took it for a spin. Twenty lbs including food & water, which would suffice for a weekend trip in cold weather. Did a little under 2 miles, just in my neighborhood, I live in a rural area with moderate hills. All was good, I'm in pretty good shape, 5'5" 130lbs, except for a bulging disc in lower back, and neck surgery two years ago for a herniated disc. Whoever said it's better to wear out than rust out obviously hadn't done the former :) Nothing was hurting when I returned home, but I can see that I need to work my way up to the twenty pounds to be able to go several miles. What have others found that works? Maybe take out the food and water (~3lbs, and the heaviest item )to start, hike around a local park or neighborhood, get comfortable, then gradually add weight til I'm back to full load? I am a hammock hanger, and most of my gear is more bulk than wt.
Thanks in advance,
clb

Spokes
05-15-2010, 11:45
Welcome!
Take a look at this reference guide from pack guru Winton Porter:
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

It will keep you light and give you a reference point to build from. Most successful thru-hikers use similar systems. Of course, just doing several "shakedown" hikes will help tremendously too. Good luck.

brotheral
05-15-2010, 12:13
Hello clb :) !!
Sounds like you're on the right track. This forum / on-line community is an excellent resource. I've been asking for help as I'm putting together some new gear so I can start backpacking again. You're in the right place....:sun

garlic08
05-15-2010, 12:18
Because of your injuries, you might have to mess around with weight distribution between shoulders and hips, and maybe with the torso length of the pack. Listen to your body and try to resist the urge to medicate to numbness. If something really hurts, it's telling you something.

You're definitely on the right track. Good luck in this endeavor.

Ladytrekker
05-15-2010, 12:57
I am also 55 and a year ago I decided not to just take walks but to take up hiking and backpacking. I started doing dayhikes with daypacks and upped the weight along with add a hydration bladder to add weight. I am hiking approx 10 mile days and have carried a 39 lb pack at the start of a hike. I must say after that days on the trail I came home bought a ULA Circuit and am getting my pack to just under 30 does make a huge difference. But just keep with it and in no time the distance builds along with your cardio and endurance. Happy Hiking.

jesse
05-15-2010, 13:25
Are you talking about how much weight to carry for training/exercise? I walk everyday, but never carry weight for training. Only carry a pack when I go backpacking.

clb
05-15-2010, 15:42
Thanks all, I've actually got my weight where I want it for the gear I carry. I could include my gear list, but suffice it to say it's pretty much as light as it's gonna get. My real question is how to build up to being able to carry the whole 20 lbs for an actual hike. I know the muscles I'm using in my back/hips/legs aren't use to carrying weight like this. LadyTrekker came close to nailing the question, and I did spend last fall/winter doing day hikes and loading up, which may be what I need to do. I appreciate the input.
clb

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:40
The only way to "build up" is to put on your backpack and hike the trails. Take it easy mileage wise until your body gets used to carrying a load. You'll be sore, sure, but that's your body telling you its doing things it has never done before. But we have a remarkable ability to repair and reform. SO keep at it, slow but sure. And don't skimp on good nutrition which is necessary to keep your system going. And good vitamins, etc.

Tinker
05-15-2010, 21:49
Hi, clb!
Looks like you have it pretty much figured out, gear wise (especially the hammock part). Keep heavier items tucked into the small of your back and you should be ok. I'm starting to have back problems (mid back, right side, undiagnosed) and I carry a very light frameless pack (uses a closed cell pad for frame, which I can use as a sit pad or "doormat" for my hammock). It weighs 14 ozs. and was big enough (2800 cu. in. - just big enough) to get me through the Hundred Mile Wilderness. My pack weight is normally around 20-22 lbs. The weight for the Wilderness hike was somewhere around 35 - uncomfortable for the first two days but got better and better - last day was like hiking with a daypack).
So, welcome to the land of the hiking nerds.
Enjoy! :)

Spokes
05-16-2010, 00:48
T........... it's pretty much as light as it's gonna get...............
clb

That's what most hikers say, then they arrive at Neel's Gap and get a pack shakedown at Mountain Crossings. You'd be amazed how much unnecessary stuff you can ditch.

Good luck.

brotheral
05-16-2010, 07:20
That's what most hikers say, then they arrive at Neel's Gap and get a pack shakedown at Mountain Crossings. You'd be amazed how much unnecessary stuff you can ditch.

Good luck.

AT 20# I don't see being able to ditch much, if anything :-?

clb
05-16-2010, 08:04
Here's my gear list for a weekend trip to north central New Mexico, feel free to give me feedback.
WORN/CARRIED
bear spray 12*
compass 1.1
maps 0.5
trek poles 6.8(for knees)
lipbalm 0.5
socks 2
shoes 22
nylon shirt 7
pants 10
windshirt 3.5
cap 2
undies 1.5
glove liners 1.5
glasses 0.8
=70.2
ITEMS PACKED
Deuter ACT Zero SL(not ul, but works for my lumbar issues)48
hammock 12.5
bugnet 7.5
tarp 11
TQ quilt 20
UQ 14.5
pad 3
stakes 3
suspension 3
CLOTHES
socks 2
rain jacket 12
rain pants 9
down jacket 6.3
Capilene 3 top/bottom 12
conv. mittens 3
buff 1
KITCHEN
bearbag 3
cookpot 1 Fosters can
bic/mat 0.5
spoon 0.4
stove 1 alc.
cozy 1
cup 0.5 cut down JacknBox
MISC
mini led/car key 1
watch 1
knife 0.9
whistle 0.2
tp/vit I 0.5 (easily accessible, including baggie for used tp)
toiletry ditty 2
FAK 4.5(includes spare glasses and epipen)
trowel .4 tit. msr snow stake
Hydration
21Lplatys 2
drinking tube 2
=179.2
CONSUMABLES
food 60 3 day@20oz.
water 68 2L
fuel 5 (incl.bottle)
chlorine 0.5
=133.5
Total full skin out wt. 24 lbs if my calculations are correct. Apprx. 20 packed
Leigh

clb
05-16-2010, 08:08
opps forgot to mention 3 season trip (early June)

Ladytrekker
05-16-2010, 08:17
I keep tweaking my gear. I had a Osprey Ariel 65 extremely comfortable but a beast at 4.15 so I got a ULA Circuit at 2.25. I am hiking the AT next week for a week and cannot get the rest of the items I want until after but my next purchases are going to be the Mont-bell Super Spiral #3 and a Moment Tarptent. I use a neoair which I love so my big 4 should be at a minimum then. This trip I have my pack at 26 lbs without water. This is the lowest I have been able to get it, so I am feeling good with right now but will definitely be working on the other items this year. My luxury item is a very lightweight tablecloth cut in half I use it to sit on when resting and put my gear on while setting up and taking down. I find I get less ticks that way.

sbhikes
05-16-2010, 17:39
I'm starting to have back problems (mid back, right side, undiagnosed)
That's from using the computer mouse. The treatment is more hiking, less working on the computer.

The only good training for backpacking is backpacking. There really isn't anything that simulates walking with a backpack on. But if you can, you should do a lot of day hiking. Day hiking will not only strengthen you but teach you a lot about your bodily needs like hydration, food, sun, wind, cold, heat etc.

Blissful
05-16-2010, 17:51
Here's my gear list for a weekend trip to north central New Mexico, feel free to give me feedback.
WORN/CARRIED
bear spray 12*
compass 1.1
maps 0.5
trek poles 6.8(for knees)
lipbalm 0.5
socks 2
shoes 22
nylon shirt 7
pants 10
windshirt 3.5
cap 2
undies 1.5
glove liners 1.5
glasses 0.8
=70.2
ITEMS PACKED
Deuter ACT Zero SL(not ul, but works for my lumbar issues)48
hammock 12.5
bugnet 7.5
tarp 11
TQ quilt 20
UQ 14.5
pad 3
stakes 3
suspension 3
CLOTHES
socks 2
rain jacket 12
rain pants 9
down jacket 6.3
Capilene 3 top/bottom 12
conv. mittens 3
buff 1
KITCHEN
bearbag 3
cookpot 1 Fosters can
bic/mat 0.5
spoon 0.4
stove 1 alc.
cozy 1
cup 0.5 cut down JacknBox
MISC
mini led/car key 1
watch 1
knife 0.9
whistle 0.2
tp/vit I 0.5 (easily accessible, including baggie for used tp)
toiletry ditty 2
FAK 4.5(includes spare glasses and epipen)
trowel .4 tit. msr snow stake
Hydration
21Lplatys 2
drinking tube 2
=179.2
CONSUMABLES
food 60 3 day@20oz.
water 68 2L
fuel 5 (incl.bottle)
chlorine 0.5
=133.5
Total full skin out wt. 24 lbs if my calculations are correct. Apprx. 20 packed
Leigh

Headlamp
Camp shoes - ?
First Aid I guess is in there with the epi pen noted(?)
Any maps, etc