PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Southern AT in December

Giggity
05-15-2010, 13:15
I was planning a thru-hike this year till a broke my ankle. My friend and I are considering hiking from Springer to Franklin in December as soon as our finals are over this fall. Is that feasible? Will weather be too much of an issue? Thanks for the opinions.

jesse
05-15-2010, 13:19
Totally doable. Be prepared for snow, rain, and low temps. I hiked Dicks Creek to Neel gap two Decembers ago. Temps in the teens. Great thing about it is there are no crowds.

commonwealth_hiker
05-16-2010, 20:40
Yeah, have some experience outdoors and some 0 degree stuff, though.
Also, call wherever you are planning on resupplying at and make sure that they are still open.

Finishing the AT in late November had its drawbacks in '08. I think it got down in single digits a few nights.

bigcranky
05-17-2010, 05:31
Get a blaze orange pack cover. Bring warm clothes, extra batteries for your headlamp, and a big fat paperback book. It gets dark early.

daddytwosticks
05-17-2010, 07:23
Short days and very looong nights! :)

Marta
05-17-2010, 17:21
It can be a great time to hike in that area. The bugs are gone and the leaves will be off the trees, so you'll have good views from the ridgelines.

As others have said, bring warm stuff, and good light sources.

The Solemates
05-18-2010, 09:09
we tend to be 3 season campers: fall, winter, spring. winter is one of the best times to hike!

Giggity
05-22-2010, 22:22
Thanks for the input guys. Been looking at purchasing a tarptent moment or a lightheart solo. Does anyone have any experience with these in the winter?

Bearpaw
05-22-2010, 23:03
Thanks for the input guys. Been looking at purchasing a tarptent moment or a lightheart solo. Does anyone have any experience with these in the winter?

Be prepared to deal with condensation and/or frost on many mornings inside the tent. It's doable; just be ready for issues in the cold moist air.

Marta
05-24-2010, 16:48
I don't have that model of Tarptent, but I have used the Virga I and Cloudburst I for several years. They are not very warm. You need to factor that into your decisions on sleeping bags and camp clothing to bring on the trip.

By use of terrain and other strategies, you can make the tent a bit warmer:
1) If it's windy, set up on the lee side of the mountain, or of some sort of obstacle like a rock or fallen tree that will block the wind for you.
2) You can partially block the mesh on the windward side with dry leaves, your backpack, plastic pack liner, etc.
3) You can stake the tent lower, reducing the amount of exposed mesh.

Tarptents are great if you plan to spend most of your waking hours walking. If you are less of a walker and more of a camper, you might want a more luxurious, warmer, double-wall tent. There's no right or wrong; it's a matter of understanding what you are going to be happier doing.

general
05-24-2010, 17:46
i use a 8 X 10 tarp and a 0 degree bag all winter in the south. you gotta be a little creative at times, but it is really no problem.

Adayak
05-25-2010, 13:47
Check for some shelters along the way - most have fire pits and could provide some warmth / protection from cold rain if the weather turns on you.