PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the rain

trailangelbronco
05-15-2010, 13:32
So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?

Seeker
05-15-2010, 13:42
why not? for me the joy is in being outdoors. there's no reason you couldn't enjoy yourself if properly equipped.

kayak karl
05-15-2010, 14:59
this time of year the rain is refreshing :) GO :banana

grayfox
05-15-2010, 15:19
Well, that depends.

If you are asking about risk assesment then that is a complicated answer. If you just want to know how to be comfortable then the answer is different.

Either way, you want a fool proof way to be warm and dry if you need it. Extra layers, calorie rich snacks, double stuff bags, hand warmer packets, bomb-proof shelter, and the wits to know when it is time to head home early.

I see you are in Idaho, so you probably know that the weather at altitude can be fickle. Check the forecast. A slow drizzly rain that does not let up for days when the temps are under fifty, is the best way to experience hypothermia. But even warmer temps can be deadly if you can not get warm and dry. You want to check if fires are allowed where you are going--Fire can make an otherwise miserable trip enjoyable and a lot safer.

Risk assasment is a moment to moment thing.

Connie
05-15-2010, 15:25
For a coastal hike, on the west coast (Washington State, particularly) that can be the only hike available.

Lovely wet.

I have hiked with a rain forecast, just because I knew it would chase the crowds out of the woods. In fact, rain in the forecast can be the best time to hike a popular trail.

Lightning is a different story.

If rain only, I would definitely wear short gaiters to keep my socks dry, or, long gaiters if the trail is overgrown with brush or wear rain chaps.

The rain is very special. The odors of natural woods are enhanced.

Everything seems much more alive.

The colors are often more enhanced (not fog) for photography. Even fog can be good for photography!

If you do not have the right clothing and the right gear, and the gear and experience to set up your camp in the rain, this can be a recipe for hypothermia, and so, I do not recommend this particular "private" joy of backpacking on my website.

However, adding the information for safety reasons makes sense.

I was asked by a ranger at Glacier National Park, MT to go out and check on some kids because a quite severe storm was closing in fast. The ranger said they weren't sure of their gear or that they knew how to be okay.

I charged up and over a couple of mountain ridges to catch up with them at Poia Lake, and saw they were fine. They were hunkered down, just for a break. It was perfect. I asked if they needed more. They said no. I offered additional shelter I was carrying.

They offered me their campsite further on, because they would not be hiking further. I said, I was just on an "out and back" hike.

To fully appreciate the story: I have white hair, all white hair. I am in my 60's.

I said, there was a big storm that would hit. I was glad to see they were hunkered down on good shelter of that clump of trees and brush. They thanked me. I turned an hiked on out, in something of a hurry to get over one water crossing before the water got big. As I rounded the shoulder of the mountain right there, the storm hit like a freight-train.

I chuckled. I bet they thought: who was that woman!

Both "kids" were from Europe. I knew the young man was experienced. They had good gear. The whole experience made a good experience for them of fast changing "big mountain" weather.

I got back in time before the grill closed for my well deserved restaurant meal.

...come to think of it, I have quite a few good memories of hiking when and where rain is in the weather forecast.

medicjimr
05-15-2010, 16:49
Going out for 3 days this week chance of thunderstorms tue rain wed clears up thur. will be out not wasting vacation days got rain gears compactor bag for liner and pack liner

Hikes in Rain
05-15-2010, 17:13
I'm a section hiker. I live far from the trail. When I get an opportunity to go on a trip, rain or shine, I'm going.

Plastic is your friend.

cowpoke
05-15-2010, 17:16
It's only water.....

Dogwood
05-15-2010, 17:22
Well, that depends.

If you are asking about risk assesment then that is a complicated answer. If you just want to know how to be comfortable then the answer is different.

Either way, you want a fool proof way to be warm and dry if you need it. Extra layers, calorie rich snacks, double stuff bags, hand warmer packets, bomb-proof shelter, and the wits to know when it is time to head home early. - Grayfox
Good points to consider!
Lovely wet.

I have hiked with a rain forecast, just because I knew it would chase the crowds out of the woods. In fact, rain in the forecast can be the best time to hike a popular trail.

Lightning is a different story.

If rain only, I would definitely wear short gaiters to keep my socks dry, or, long gaiters if the trail is overgrown with brush or wear rain chaps.

The rain is very special. The odors of natural woods are enhanced.

Everything seems much more alive.

The colors are often more enhanced (not fog) for photography. Even fog can be good for photography!

If you do not have the right clothing and the right gear, and the gear and experience to set up your camp in the rain, this can be a recipe for hypothermia, and so, I do not recommend this particular "private" joy of backpacking on my website.

However, adding the information for safety reasons makes sense. -Connie
Also, all good pts to consider!

I myself enjoy hiking in the rain, even hard rain, for many of the reasons Connie also gave - for about 3 days. By then, no matter what I've done to stay dry I'm wet and there is a good chance some of my gear is wet and doesn't have time to dry out from day to day. To be honest with myself, being always wet, or worse, wet and cold, for more than a week would have me looking for a town stop to dry out and get warm. I don't even mind being wet while I'm hiking as long as I''m not cold too. It also makes a BIG difference if I can get into something warm and eat something warm after I've stopped hiking.

I read your public profile Trailangelbronco. You are and adult! You hunt, fish, skydive, play college football, and obviously hike on ocassion. There is an adventurous side to you. I'm sure you have been wet in the outdoors before. How about the rest in your hiking party? What do you want? Have us tell you to stay home and don't hike in the rain? If you hike long enough you know you are going to get rained on at some pt. If you don't want to hike with a 60 % chance of rain for all 4 days of your hike don't go hiking. If you don't know how to hike in the rain don't go hiking. If you think the weather is just going to be too much of a hassle for your party and you don't hike. You don't need validation from someone else to come to a decision based on what's right for you and your hiking party. Come to the decision yourselves.

The thing that hasn't yet been mentioned is the trail you are planning to hike. If I remember correctliy, in another thread, you mentioned your party of 4 was hiking the Selway River Trail. I'm not familiar with that trail. Sounds like a neat trail that obviously follows closely to the river. But, have you spoken to anyone about how the trail or river is effected by several days of possibly strong rain? It might not be the best or safest choice of trails if heavy or prolonged rain is in the forecast.

sevensixtwo187
05-15-2010, 17:22
I generally see no reason to stay home because of rain. The only thing that might keep me home would be if there were a possibility of severe weather. I think if you have good gear then weather should not stop you.

medicjimr: Your tagline could not be any more true!

Kerosene
05-15-2010, 17:32
I was supposed to start hiking today with my newbie 20-yo daughter, starting at Standing Indian. She got a bad cold with fever two days ago, so we had to put it off.

Personally, I kind of like hiking in a moderate downpour, just not for days on end or with really wet feet. However, I'd prefer not to have her first two days of backpacking be in a rainstorm. Hopefully we'll get a nice series of days next weekend.

TIDE-HSV
05-15-2010, 19:21
So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?

That was just about what it was the last pack I went on. I think the coverage turned out to be more than 60%, and, by the end of the fourth day, it was starting to get old. We had breaks at the right times - when were setting up camp and cooking. Later, my wife looked at the pix and commented "I didn't remember that it rained that much!"

trailangelbronco
05-15-2010, 21:19
I'm still going on thr trip, but my friends may be chickening out. To me, 60% chance of rain could either be just cloudy sky's or a few rain showers. To me, I like the rain because it does weed out the day hikers a bit. I have dry sacks, a pack cover, and use Frog Toggs because they breath very well. Gaiters to the knees and my feet stay dry.

The river will be very high anyways because of the spring run off, but that is also my favorite way to sleep. Next to a rushing river.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm going.

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:25
If I can do it another weekend (like just a weekend jaunt to get out and have fun), I would switch. If its a planned section or trail you have prepared to do and took time off to do it, then you go.

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:27
this time of year the rain is refreshing :) GO :banana

It sure wasn't a few weeks ago in Bland. It was hypothermia weather. If it was June into July I'd agree.

bus
05-15-2010, 21:39
Besides, there is 40% chance that it won't rain!!!! I'd go!

Tinker
05-15-2010, 21:40
There's still a 40% chance of NO rain, so it depends upon how you look at it. Aside from stream crossings and footing becoming slippery I, personally, enjoy hiking in the rain, especially in the summer when you know it would be much hotter, plus, it keeps the mosquitoes and blackflies down (until it stops! :().

Tinker
05-15-2010, 21:41
Besides, there is 40% chance that it won't rain!!!! I'd go!
Ok, you beat me to it, but I promise I didn't read your post. :)

SunnyWalker
05-15-2010, 21:42
Oh man . . . ya gotta go! You gotta chance to go, man you GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2010, 23:26
I only call it off when its a Hurricane.

wnderer
05-18-2010, 20:43
Hiking in the rain and then staying in a shelter works, otherwise I have two major problems with hiking in the rain. Cooking and Condensation. How do you cook in the rain? After a couple days the candy bars run out and if I can't cook the rice I'm out of food. If I bring my wet clothes into my bivy, the condensation makes it rain in the bivy. Without food and sleep, hiking is miserable.

Jim Adams
05-18-2010, 21:13
I hate hiking in rain...don't mind camping in rain and staying dry, but I hate hiking in rain. I would probably stay home or do something else. OTOH, snow?...will go EVERYTIME!

geek

Bear Cables
05-18-2010, 21:38
Hiking in the rain and then staying in a shelter works, otherwise I have two major problems with hiking in the rain. Cooking and Condensation. How do you cook in the rain? After a couple days the candy bars run out and if I can't cook the rice I'm out of food. If I bring my wet clothes into my bivy, the condensation makes it rain in the bivy. Without food and sleep, hiking is miserable.

This is exactly why it is worth, to me, to carry a small sil tarp shelter as well as my tent. I can have a shelter to cook under and hang out other than my tent.

wnderer
05-18-2010, 22:28
This is exactly why it is worth, to me, to carry a small sil tarp shelter as well as my tent. I can have a shelter to cook under and hang out other than my tent.

You don't have any problem cooking under the tarp? I have a 5 by 9 tarp and I definitely need it to get in and out of the bivy in the rain. I've been tempted to try cook under it, especially when its wet. But then its only three feet off the ground and then I wonder if an alcohol stove will be hot enough to melt a hole in it. It's made out of 1.1 silicon impregnated ripstop, I got at Thru-Hiker.

sbhikes
05-18-2010, 22:40
Where I live a 20% chance of rain means it isn't going to rain. In Washington a 20% chance of rain seemed to mean it would rain 20% of the time.

If it's raining I won't start a hike, but when I go out and then it starts raining, it's usually pretty fun. But I hate backpacking in the rain and I really hate walking on overgrown trails with wet brush slapping me in the face.

prain4u
05-18-2010, 23:36
It all depends....

If it is a relatively local hike and I have no significant emotional or financial investment in the trip--I may stay home and find a nice warm, dry, alternative activity.

If I have some time, money or emotions invested in the trip--I will probably go and hike. Even in a pouring down heavy rain. I have no problem hiking in the rain--and have done it often.

In both instances--I will assess the RISKS and BENEFITS before making my decision. If there is a BIG risk of flash floods, lightening strikes and/or hypothermia--and if I believe that I cannot find ways to significantly lessen the risks-- I am staying home. (Live to hike another day!)

EXAMPLE: This past summer, I spent nearly two weeks on Isle Royale in Lake Superior. At one point, I hiked through nearly three days of heavy rain. NO PROBLEM! I almost loved it! However, near the end of that same trip--the weather was pretty good--but the weather forecast said that in a couple days it would likely be cold and nasty once again--with a risk of wind, lightening, and huge waves. Thus, I cut my trip short and headed back to the "mainland". Most of my goals for the trip had been achieved. I had no desire to risk hypothermia or lightening strikes. I also wanted to make the three hour crossing of Lake Superior in better weather and SMALLER waves. (Ironically, the lake became pretty rough a couple days later. I heard that no ferry boat trips occurred for nearly two days. I got of the island just in time!)

So, a lot of factors go into my decision of whether (or not) to hike.

Bear Cables
05-18-2010, 23:56
You don't have any problem cooking under the tarp? I have a 5 by 9 tarp and I definitely need it to get in and out of the bivy in the rain. I've been tempted to try cook under it, especially when its wet. But then its only three feet off the ground and then I wonder if an alcohol stove will be hot enough to melt a hole in it. It's made out of 1.1 silicon impregnated ripstop, I got at Thru-Hiker.

I don't sleep under the tarp. It's just for shelter when not in the tent. I pitch is high enough to shelter from rain but can still cook under it. Never have had a problem. I just don't put the stove close to the tarp. But my tarp is more like 7x9.

trailangelbronco
05-19-2010, 01:44
Update.

I am still going, and talked my buddy into joining me. Sat and Sun is 60% chance of rain. Mon and Tues is 30% chance of rain. I just seam sealed my tent again and am bringing a pair of socks for each day.

Screw it, lets go hiking.

GGS2
05-19-2010, 02:37
I don't consider a bivy a rain shelter. If you are going out in the rain, I would consider something more like a tarp, tarptent or tent. Or even a tarp and hammock. You can use the bivy under a tarp, or even in a hammock under a tarp, but a bivy starts with condensation problems, so keeping the rain off is just the first of your problems.

GeneralLee10
05-19-2010, 06:57
I would not go! Way to many Thru Hikers out and they need the Shelter Space.:):D

Adayak
05-19-2010, 11:59
Update.

I am still going, and talked my buddy into joining me. Sat and Sun is 60% chance of rain. Mon and Tues is 30% chance of rain. I just seam sealed my tent again and am bringing a pair of socks for each day.

Screw it, lets go hiking.

That's the right attitude! Don't let a little water change your plans. 60% chance of rain doesn't mean it's going to rain all day every day. You could get like 10 minutes of rain in your area and 10 miles north of you could get 3 hours.

solobip
05-19-2010, 18:05
ABSOLUTELY!, Many times I have left home in the rain to reach a dry trailhead, and visa verse. Only when a partner refuses to depart or "wait it out" do I hold off. Hiking in the rain can be an enjoyable experiance. Use each one as a guide on What to Do Next Time. Go and enjoy it ALL

Luddite
05-19-2010, 18:24
Hell yeah, Keeps the bugs and crowds away.

Graywolf
05-19-2010, 18:38
I actually like hiking in the rain.. The forest takes on a different feel..It seems to transform into something magical..Fog adds to the effect to. I even play my flute when it rains and recorded a song in the rain..very nice. But of course you have to respect it and be sure you have all the right equipment.. You dont want hyperthermia.. That is a no brainer, I would make a list here, but others have already posted good tips..

Enjoy

Graywolf

Luddite
05-20-2010, 11:04
what kind of flute do you play? Been thinkin' about getting one of those celtic flutes, the kind the pogues played.

FritztheCat
05-20-2010, 17:56
Absolutely! Rain keeps the bugs away and the smell of wet earth is just incredible. Make sure your bag is waterproof and you'll have a great time. go, Go, GO!!!

trailangelbronco
05-20-2010, 18:20
My bag is not even close to waterproof. It is a Kelty lightyear down bag, and packed in a waterproof stuff sack. It will stay in there until set up in the tent.

Hopefully, I can keep it dry!

FritztheCat
05-20-2010, 18:57
I found in Walmart these giant ziplock bags. I use the biggest one in my pack. I fit everything inside and then ziplock it. There were three in the box of assorted sizes. Might be something to look into.

fiddlehead
05-20-2010, 20:55
I think you really have to like hiking to go in the rain.
I go rain or shine. Most don't

babbage
05-20-2010, 21:12
Do not fear the little drops of water. There at least are four or five of documented cases of people who have survived rain. Being caught in rain is extremely dangerous, but the odds are good that a healthy person in good physical condition with a strong, motivated will to survive can get the little drops of water on their raingear, and to some degree on their skin, and still survive. Camp near an emergency room, have 911 on speed dial, smear vaseline all over your skin and in your eyes, wear a drysuit under your raingear and then put a poncho over that. Have an umbrella in each hand and do not get out of your tent. You should do fine.

Just kidding. Who cares if it rains. Hiking in pretty weather all the time would get boring.

medicjimr
05-20-2010, 21:20
Just got back from doing 32 miles on the laurel Highlands trail rained 2 days out of three still a great time did,nt see any other hikers only me and my other hiking partner was the only 2 in the shelters and there was 5 of them. I don't get allot of chances to go and I am not about to waste vacation days I put in for.

crazyonelost
05-25-2010, 21:54
I with you Jim. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best in weather stuff. I perfer the cooler weather over the Hot/Humid stuff anyday

Dogwood
05-25-2010, 22:19
I'm waiting to hear about how the hike went!

Ahh, I'm melting!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass(unlees it's a really big storm), it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Remember to dance.

SmokyMtn Hiker
05-25-2010, 22:24
This past October I done a section from Erwin, TN to Hot Springs, NC and it rained 4 1/2 days of the 6, but I made the best of it and besides it comes with the territory so to speak. Go for it and remember it's better than being at work.

Odd Man Out
05-26-2010, 13:53
Went backpacking last summer on N Manitou Island (MI) with youngest daughter. The weather forecast was poor but went anyway. Spent the 80 min boat ride over on the open deck, pouring rain, temp in 50's, waves crashing over the side, wrapped in garbage bags. Once on the island, had a great trip. It rained on and off, but once hiking, you warm up, and everything is nice and dry if all packed up OK. When it did rain we just kept moving. It was the best way to stay warm and dry. When it let up, we took our breaks and set up camp. Lots of wildlife, flowers, etc. I have had many occasions when we have canceled outside plans only to have the weather turn out beautiful. So just go (as long as you can survive the boat ride).

leaftye
05-26-2010, 14:06

Do you still go?

Not if I can easily reschedule the trip.

KnittingMelissa
05-27-2010, 03:54

Do you still go?

Depends on the area. In WY, where I live, I would call it off in an instant this early in the year. While I can go camping in the snow, I wouldn't rely upon my ability to do so comfortably. I've done tons of hiking in the rain over on the PNW coast, and I love it, but in WY the weather likes to just smack people around for the fun of it.

I actually was planning to go camping this weekend, but there's a thunderstorm rolling in, and the weather has been really weird this past week. I would rather just hang out with my friends and grill food than end up getting stuck in weather I can't ride out.

July 4th, though, I'm heading backwoods to avoid the crazies and their firecrackers.

STICK
05-27-2010, 04:13
My son and I are heading out Friday morning and will be back Monday evening. T'storms are forecast for every day.

Did I mention that this will be my first trip with my tarp? :banana

earlyriser26
05-27-2010, 08:00
This time of year rain is not a problem. In march or November I have a different view. I would rather hike in the rain than on a hot day. Plus, it won't be raining all the time.

Gumbi
05-27-2010, 16:07
Ya know, rough weather conditions and being miserable on a trip, although it doesn't always seem like much fun at the time, it usually makes for the best memories and stories afterwards...

Graywolf
05-27-2010, 16:55
what kind of flute do you play? Been thinkin' about getting one of those celtic flutes, the kind the pogues played.

Luddite, I play the Native American Flute.. Just google it. Lots of makers and sites..I have ten flutes and most are from Trees of Life Designs. He really makes nice affordable ones.

I have my own site as well. Just click on it on the left..

Graywolf

crazyonelost
06-05-2010, 10:45
I was going to take my boy out for his first 5 miler backpacking trip over this weekend. The weather forecast has some severe T storms/Tornado watches/flash flooding watch for the weekend. So to stay safe,going to reschedule the trip someother time.

Brushy Sage
06-05-2010, 11:18
You were wise to avoid the stormy weather. There are early reports now appearing in the Asheville paper that a hiker from out of state was killed by lightning on Max Patch Bald yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100605/NEWS01/100604079

DavidNH
06-05-2010, 11:31

Do you still go?

well first question is where are you hiking? in the heat of GA the rain might be refreshing. so There I might say yes, I'd go.

if you are hiking up in VT, NH or ME, I'd say NO WAY.

you have the forecast ahead of time.. why hike in the rain purposely? a chilly rain can make one miserable. believe me I know from whence I speak. It is NO FUN. Plus, you won't see anything as the mtns will be in clouds.

DavidNH

trailangelbronco
06-05-2010, 14:40
Yes, I went. posted trip report under Selway River trail, it was an awesome solo hike and I had a blast. PICS HERE (http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/sincitybronco/Selway%20river%20Trip%202010/?albumview=slideshow)

Only rained first day, sprinkled a little second day, poured second night but my tent is bombproof and the last two days were fun in the sun. Did a little fly fishing and caught/released some cutt throat trout.

Ranger said I was the first person this year to hike out to the Moose Creek ranger station, there were no other hikers on the trail and the trail was print free.

Only got so many pics cause my iphone died day two.

Rain , smain, lets go hikin!!

TIDE-HSV
06-05-2010, 21:32
in WY the weather likes to just smack people around for the fun of it.Tell me about it! Twice I've barely escaped over Bears Ears Pass, from South Fork Lakes down into Dickinson Park in the Wind Rivers. Both times were just before Labor Day, and there was about 6" in Dubois and waist-deep up at the pass. The good news is the second time was the snows that put out the fires in Yellowstone.

And, Bronco, speaking of first prints, years ago, I was hiking in the Austrian Alps and a trail which led up a draw between two mountain, eventually slabbing up the side of one looked attractive. I was told no one had hiked in there that Summer (mid June). Well, it turned out there had been one guy ahead of me. I followed his prints through mud and snow and, eventually, reaching a snow field, his prints abruptly turned off-trail and up hill. The snow field didn't look all that impressive, so I decided to blaze my own trail. Big mistake. Half-way across, I fell into the creek which the snow field covered and which must have been running under rocks uphill. I got out, almost losing a boot and in no shape to continue the hike. There's no substitute for local knowledge...

fiddlehead
06-05-2010, 22:12
. I would rather just hang out with my friends and grill food than end up getting stuck in weather I can't ride out.

Maybe if we had that kind of a choice between hiking in a rain storm, or grilling food with your girlfriend, we would make the same decision.

I agree, WY weather is some of the worst. Does the wind ever stop blowing in that state?