PDA

View Full Version : Just an acute annoyance...

David@whiteblaze
05-15-2010, 15:45
I know everyone here tries to help out as much as they can with all gear questions... but whenever I (or someone else) asks a question... the last thing I want to do is take 5 minutes to see that there was a reply, then log on, see that the reply asays: this forum is a great resource to find the answer to what you're looking for... and then log off... It would go without saying that I/we are here to find information and we obviously thought we could find some here... so, what I'm trying to say is more information, less advising that there is information.;)

Blissful
05-15-2010, 21:30
Using the "search" will help the poster find all he or she needs and avoid redundancy of asking the same similar questions. That's what the search feature is for.

Tinker
05-15-2010, 21:55
Using the "search" will help the poster find all he or she needs and avoid redundancy of asking the same similar questions. That's what the search feature is for.
Agreed. Except in the case of a newbie to the site. The admonition to "Use the search feature" is like a slap in the face. For someone that's been around awhile it's sound advice.

David@whiteblaze
05-15-2010, 22:02
well, I constantly forget it's there... I was just saying that passing on how to get information would be better than just pointing out that you're in the right place... also... If you have ever been to yahoo answers, ther is people who don't know, who ask people who either know, or know someone who knows, and they post the neccessary information... PYOP (post your own post... :D )

Frosty
05-16-2010, 14:09
I know everyone here tries to help out as much as they can with all gear questions... but whenever I (or someone else) asks a question... the last thing I want to do is take 5 minutes to see that there was a reply, then log on, see that the reply asays: this forum is a great resource to find the answer to what you're looking for... and then log off... It would go without saying that I/we are here to find information and we obviously thought we could find some here... so, what I'm trying to say is more information, less advising that there is information.;)
This issue of people saying that info is already readily available has been discussed here many times over the years. Suggest you use the search function to see what people have already said about advising that there is information available.

Dogwood
05-16-2010, 14:35
Use the "Search" feature first to see if your question or things relating to your question have been discussed before! GOOD advice!

I have noticed there are very knowledgable people who are long time visitors to WB who would be well able to answer questions or post sound advice, but they don't! I suspect that sometimes they tire of answering the same questions over and over again when those questions have been discussed in great depth here on WB before.

I'm not intending to sound harsh, but a "search" first would avoid assuming others will do all the research or pointedly answer a question when the same question has been asked and repeatedly answered in great detail here on WB!

Spokes
05-16-2010, 15:27
Okay, I have a question............. So, if the information is "already there and people are constantly advised to "use the search function" how will new information propagate about a topic? Isn't that what a forum is all about?

Seems like if that's the case we'd all still be wearing cotton tube socks, carrying white gas stoves, and hauling bulky external frame packs.

emerald
05-16-2010, 17:13
Whenever I (or someone else) asks a question, the last thing I want to do is take 5 minutes to see ...

I'm afraid that's the nature of the beast. Spending time on what's not sought is part of the program. I log on when I want to spend time here, see what's been posted, what's of interest and make a decision about whether it's worth my time to spend more.

Windcatcher
05-16-2010, 17:23
Whiteblaze is a community, hopefully a nice one to be a part of...

Oldies who have knowledge about a subject & want to respond - Please respond.

Oldies who have knowledge, but feel it necessary to simply respond with "Use the search feature" come off appearing quite blunt, rude even, and such behavior can stymie conversation & open discussion which is not the purpose of an open forum.

Anyone who feels the need to squash others, ehh...

Newbies should be politely re-directed to appropriate areas & forums, help them out & teach them how to find their way around.

Oldies & Newbies should all welcome new discussion, even on old topics. Things change, people come & go, gear evolves, trails change...

emerald
05-16-2010, 17:39
I see nothing wrong with pointing out a topic has been discussed before, most have, but I agree I'd rather see someone post a referral instead of "use the search feature."

We are busy people and do not always have time to link what we know to exist. I link as much information as anyone for those asking questions and intend no offense when I point out something has been posted recently or good information is available already.

Some people expect WhiteBlaze members to create a custom thread for them and I'm not always interested in participating, but may be able to point out where information can be found and can often answer questions immediately in this manner. Some people are too easily offended and more interested in form than function.

modiyooch
05-16-2010, 17:49
But we don't want the same ole answers. When a question gets asked again, it does get answered and if the older forumites don't want to reply, then we get a fresh answer and maybe a different perspective. This forum is very resourceful, and the info comes from a broad range of experiences. There are plenty of members that can contribute. It's not hard to skip a thread that you don't want to be bothered with.
I prefer to ask the question then to search historical threads.

emerald
05-16-2010, 18:01
I prefer to ask the question rather than to search historical threads.

We know, you've told us before how it is more efficient use of your time. How do you know the old answers are no longer good until you have read them or asked for a referral?:)

I'm hopeful you'll remember who's answered your questions and you'll excuse us should we question your approach and advocating it which may serve to encourage those who might abuse it.

modiyooch
05-16-2010, 18:14
We know and you've told us before. How do you know the old answers are no longer good until you have read them or asked for a referral? I'm sure you remember who's answered your questions too.:)I always get good advice. I didn't say the old answers are no longer good. I was trying to say that I see no harm in additional input.

emerald
05-16-2010, 18:39
I find it disappointing and wasteful when people spend their time to put up good information only to see it buried, forgotten and replaced by newer, inferior information. ALDHA/ATC's Companion is reissued annually and updated continuously.

If we exist to support the institutions which perpetuate the A.T., it is in our interest to see that the best information is made available to A.T. enthusiasts seeking it.

It takes time for someone new to learn how to navigate this website and people who care about it to keep improving it. We will not always agree on how to best accomplish what we seek to do.

I've posted enough to this thread. Someone else should contribute their thoughts.

Kerosene
05-16-2010, 19:16
In this specific example, where the poster just wants a straightforward answer to their question, I suggest posting it in the Straight Forward Forum to eliminate some of the non-value added responses.

prain4u
05-16-2010, 23:53
1. New people join WhiteBlaze all the time--and new gear is developed all the time. Trail conditions and other factors are constantly changing. (A store that was excellent last year--may be under new--and crappy--ownership just six months later). Thus, new threads on very familiar topics sometimes help us get the latest and greatest information. (Sometimes, this new information comes from people who were not even a member of WhiteBlaze 6 months ago (or who were out hiking 6 months ago).

2. The WhiteBlaze search function (like all search engines) is somewhat awkward and inaccurate. You really need to know what you are looking for in order to find it. Sometimes, I have had to type in several different searches in order to find an item that I KNEW was posted somewhere in some thread. It was all a matter of finding the RIGHT words to type into the search engine.

3. If you are a "newbie"----you are less likely to know what you are looking for. If you don't know what you are looking for--the search features can be very ineffective (almost useless).

TIDE-HSV
05-17-2010, 00:09
It's necessary to realize that most of us are here because we enjoy a pastime which reduces life to its basics (well, that and what we see along the way). So, by the very nature of things, there have to be repetitions of the same questions. Patience with kindred souls is a great virtue...

fiddlehead
05-17-2010, 01:02
I'm one that gets tired of answering the same questions over and over.
Sometimes (usually the 1st time) I really write a long post relating to the question and give many examples.
Then 2 months later, the same question comes up again. Some have come up 7 or 8 times over the years.
Well, I'm certainly not going to write a 20 minute answer everytime.
So, if it is very accurate towards my last post, I will suggest they search for the answer as it's been done in detail already.

Of course there's also been times and people who will say "use the search" sometimes when it's not exactly the same question and only touches on the same subject.

There's a difference between the two.

Graywolf
05-17-2010, 01:17
Many have spoken of the "Search" feature.. When I first signed up I would ask a question, get the same responce, "Use the Search Feature", then I would, and the search feature would not even find what I was looking for. A little while later, after searching past threads, I found what i was looking for, exactly how I typed it into the search feature. It dosnt always work all the time,more times then not I would even try it out as I was looking at a particular thread, and it would still tell me, "No related repsonses" or such and such.. I stopped using it for that reason.. it does not always work and newbies can get a little frustrated when no one takes the time to help out..

Graywolf

fiddlehead
05-17-2010, 01:49
Thinking about this thread makes me remember how I learned stuff in the old days.

If i wanted to learn how to self arrest with an ice ax, i went to a library or book store and found a book that might describe it. Then you had to find the lightest weight ice ax and where to buy it.

Similar learning experience in educating myself on avalanches and different kinds of snow.
Also fording rivers and different techniques.

Mostly I learned how to stay dry in the woods in a rainstorm by trail and error and seeing how others did it, pros and cons. Same with what to wear, where to buy it, then you find something cheaper and lighter in another store.

I remember going to visit Cindy Ross to find out how she hung her food in bear country when first going out west. Took a while just to find her house hidden in the woods let alone the technique, knots, advice on how long a rope to carry, etc.

I learned a lot about snow travel from the Sherpas in Nepal and how to tie your non free standing tent to a rock or equipment and bury it in snow or pour water over it to freeze it in the snow.
I could go on and on with making our own shelters, building fires in the rain, choosing good campsites, etc. etc. etc.

Now, i see that people are complaining because the search feature is too complicated, or maybe they are too lazy to use it.
You don't know how fortunate you are to have a site like this that has a search feature. Sure you could use google but how do you know how to trust the answers. They could be written by anyone including trolls.

At least here, you can learn different people's experience and teaching ability and whether to trust them in different areas or not.

So, the whining isn't gonna teach you anything. The search feature perhaps will.

modiyooch
05-17-2010, 07:27
One advantage to reposting the question is the subsequent PMs on topic. I have met and ultimately hiked with at least 4 people from WB, based indirectly from a question that I have asked. It's an interaction forum more so than an encyclopedia.

modiyooch
05-17-2010, 07:32
Thinking about this thread makes me remember how I learned stuff in the old days.

If i wanted to learn how to self arrest with an ice ax, i went to a library or book store and found a book that might describe it. Then you had to find the lightest weight ice ax and where to buy it.
.Sadly, it isn't the old days. it's the age of technology and instantaneous information. It's an age where our life lines are texting, twittering, apps etc. I think that it's odd that our complaint is against multiple requests for information. Any given thread is 10% useful information and 90% other. I have more of a complaint of the "other" but it's the nature of any forum. Oddly enough, these other threads get the highest views. What I have learned as opposed to the 'search' function, is to scan the forum topics and read the first 10 entries. Threads tend to degrade after that.

Gray Blazer
05-17-2010, 07:49
It takes a sloth one whole month to travel one whole mile.

modiyooch
05-17-2010, 07:50
I find it disappointing and wasteful when people spend their time to put up good information only to see it buried, forgotten and replaced by newer, inferior information. . I thank you for the info that is posted, and I can assure you that the info isn't buried, forgotten or replaced. There are many users that use this forum that are guest. There are people that know how to dig. Ones that commit to memory and apply. Cut/paste or print for future reference.
When it comes to the AT there is a wealth of great information out there, and I applaud and appreciate the efforts.
I am currently frustrated because I can't even find basic useful info online or at visitor centers regarding the MTS. I'm not even sure it's on our state map. I need to check the 2010 copy.

emerald
05-17-2010, 08:27
I know about unregistered users and lurkers. They're the people running up hits on threads I start, but never get any posts. Sometimes I wonder who they are, where they live and how they have benefitted from what they've found.

Guide books, maps and word-of-mouth are not obsolete. It's just that some people think the new-fangled ways must be better. In many ways they have their own limitations and it takes oldsters to point them out.

Pedaling Fool
05-17-2010, 09:26
I find it disappointing and wasteful when people spend their time to put up good information only to see it buried, forgotten and replaced by newer, inferior information. ALDHA/ATC's Companion is reissued annually and updated continuously.
I don't see any information being buried, rather it's like putting stuff in a tumbler. Every thing (bit of info) gets its time at the top. BTW, what is "good" info? Much of the info here is not good or bad it's more subjective or a matter of likes and dislikes. There are some exceptions, like maybe hiking in a lightening storm, but the overwhelming majority is a matter of preference.

With all I've read about barefoot running, maybe barefoot hiking is better than wearing XXX shoes, but that goes against conventional wisdom. Hiking with shoes (forget what type) is considered a no brainer and any contradiction to that is seen as backwards...but is it?

I say it's the internet and deal with it. Actually it's life and life is not meant to be easy, but we try.

warraghiyagey
05-17-2010, 09:29
So the whole world isn't catered to your each and every whim. . . . get over yourself . . . . .