PDA

View Full Version : I finally got it!

STICK
05-15-2010, 18:27
I have been wanting the Marmot Helium, and today I finally hit the submit button! It should be here by the end of the week. This is my first Down bag, and this 1 lb 15 oz 16 * EN rated bag will replace my current non-rated but sold as a 3 lb 4 oz 20 * bag. Much less weight, smaller size, warmer and more comfy. Can't wait.

Just wanted to share.

Reid
05-15-2010, 18:50
What was the damage if you don't mind me asking? I hope you got a deal.

wcgornto
05-15-2010, 19:06
I have a Marmot Pinnacle, a 2 lb, 8 oz 15 degree bag. I also have a Marmot Hydrogen, a 1 lb, 9 oz 30 degree bag. I love both of these bags and I hiked the AT with them last year.

You made an excellent choice.

garlic08
05-15-2010, 19:22
That is an excellent choice. I bought my Helium three years ago and have over 5000 trail mile on mine. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to buy a high quality bag. You will enjoy it for many years.

STICK
05-15-2010, 20:55
Reid,

While they are on sale for $319 at Campmor, and $313 at Bent Gate Mountaineering, I paid the full price ($369) at REI. The reason I did this is because I am building up my dividend to go with the 20% coupon next spring to get my next backpack. So, I actually paid more, considering that 10% back from REI will only be $36.90, which means I still paid $332.10 for the bag, so I still could have gotten it for $20 cheaper at Bent Gate after my return from REI. However, next year my full dividend will go well with that 20% coupon and I won't feel so bad about getting the pack.

STICK
05-15-2010, 21:03
Oh, the Helium is listed at 1 lb 15 oz, but I will weigh it on my scale as soon as it gets here. This will be my first down bag. I have been so jealous of my wife's SD down bag. It was always so nice and comfy compared to my synthetic bag, it kind of made my bag look a little pathetic laying next to it. And hers is 600 fill, so I am also interested to see if I can tell a difference between the 600 fill and the 850+ fill.

From what everyone says, these are good bags. I went from wanting the WM Antelope to going with this bag, mostly for price, but also because everyone talked it up to be nearly equal with WM as far as quality went with this bag. I do still plan on getting the WM Antelope or the Kodiak in the MF for my "winter bag." Just in time, when I can afford it, and I feel like the Helium will cool my jets for the WM for a while.

The first trip I am planning on taking it with me is when my wife and I thru-hike the Smokies this October. It may be overkill, but I would rather carry the Helium over the 40* 1 lb 11 oz quilt, just in case.

wcgornto
05-15-2010, 21:13
The first trip I am planning on taking it with me is when my wife and I thru-hike the Smokies this October. It may be overkill, but I would rather carry the Helium over the 40* 1 lb 11 oz quilt, just in case.

October in the Smokies will not be overkill for this bag. It may be pleasant, cool weather or it may be cold. It is extremely unlikely that it will be uncomfortably warm in October at that elevation.

Tinker
05-15-2010, 22:00
One of the biggest benefits of a down bag is that, in most cases, you can redistribute the down in warm weather so the bag is not too warm (shake it to the sides/bottom). You can't do that with a synth bag. Plus the drape of a good down bag is wonderful - no wrinkles or channels to lose body heat to.

STICK
05-15-2010, 22:29
October in the Smokies will not be overkill for this bag. It may be pleasant, cool weather or it may be cold. It is extremely unlikely that it will be uncomfortably warm in October at that elevation.

I was thinking it would be cool at this time, however, last September when we were in N. GA, the temps were still around 90*. (I am hoping for cooler weather though...)

garlic08
05-15-2010, 23:52
One of the biggest benefits of a down bag is that, in most cases, you can redistribute the down in warm weather so the bag is not too warm (shake it to the sides/bottom).

The Helium does not have side baffles, so this is possible and I do it often. I've had mine out in low teens and have shaken every feather to the top. In warmer weather I don't need the hood so I usually just use it upside down, to save some work.

ChrisFol
05-16-2010, 01:04
I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to buy a high quality bag. You will enjoy it for many years.

I know just what you mean, during my undergraduate and law school days I just bought cheap bags as it was all that my shoe-string budget would permit.

As soon as graduated from law school some of my first purchases were a Feathered Friend's Swift and a Feathered Friend's Peregrine sleeping bag; both cost inexcess of $1,100, and TBH if you are going to spend serious money, spend it on your bag because you really can tell the difference in a high quality down bag more than any other product.

The rest of you gear pales in comparrison.

STICK
05-16-2010, 01:10
I know just what you mean, during my undergraduate and law school days I just bought cheap bags as it was all that my shoe-string budget would permit.

As soon as graduated from law school some of my first purchases were a Feathered Friend's Swift and a Feathered Friend's Peregrine sleeping bag; both cost inexcess of $1,100, and TBH if you are going to spend serious money, spend it on your bag because you really can tell the difference in a high quality down bag more than any other product.

The rest of you gear pales in comparrison.

My WM is coming......one day......

Reid
05-16-2010, 07:02
Reid,

While they are on sale for $319 at Campmor, and $313 at Bent Gate Mountaineering, I paid the full price ($369) at REI. The reason I did this is because I am building up my dividend to go with the 20% coupon next spring to get my next backpack. So, I actually paid more, considering that 10% back from REI will only be $36.90, which means I still paid $332.10 for the bag, so I still could have gotten it for $20 cheaper at Bent Gate after my return from REI. However, next year my full dividend will go well with that 20% coupon and I won't feel so bad about getting the pack.

Well there seems to be a method to your madness. I've just had bad experiences with 4-500$ sleeping bags. I've managed to rip holes and lose down repeadetdly. Now that's my fault for throwing them on branches and sitting on them ......and sharpening knives while i'm laying in the tent but I'm skeered to buy another. Great bag though.

STICK
05-16-2010, 09:47
Well there seems to be a method to your madness. I've just had bad experiences with 4-500$ sleeping bags. I've managed to rip holes and lose down repeadetdly. Now that's my fault for throwing them on branches and sitting on them ......and sharpening knives while i'm laying in the tent but I'm skeered to buy another. Great bag though.

Wow, sorry to hear that. 4 bags, that adds up quick. I do plan on being extra careful with mine. I don't want to have to shell out more $$$ for another one, not this way anyway.

Powder River
05-16-2010, 10:46
Reid,

So you're giving REI your money now, so they can give it back to you later? And you're still paying $20 more. Think of it this way: if you could buy something full price at REI and get 10% back later, or buy the same item at 10% off, which would you choose?

Reid
05-16-2010, 10:58
Wow, sorry to hear that. 4 bags, that adds up quick. I do plan on being extra careful with mine. I don't want to have to shell out more $$$ for another one, not this way anyway.

Just two bags that ranged from the 400 - 500$ range.

STICK
05-16-2010, 11:32
Just two bags that ranged from the 400 - 500$ range.

Still though.....

STICK
05-16-2010, 11:41
Think of it this way: if you could buy something full price at REI and get 10% back later, or buy the same item at 10% off, which would you choose?

Isn't that the same thing, so why would it matter?

But, in this case I will take it later, so that it will go with the other 10%'s I have, as well as a 20% off coupon. This will make a really sweet price on a pack later!

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do when you want to do it. Since I know that a pack is the last thing I will buy (this time) after I get the rest of my new gear, I am planning for the pack while getting the rest of the gear. I am not purchasing all of my gear at REI, but what I can I will, knowing that it will knock off some of my purchase later. I guess it's like taking all my savings at once, rather than a little over time. Either way I am still getting them!

WILLIAM HAYES
05-16-2010, 12:32
great bag have the helium and the Helium EQ cant go wrong with the quality

Dogwood
05-16-2010, 14:20
I know the feeling of finally getting a piece of high quality gear that you had been waiting for. The Marmot Helium is a great bag with a great overall combo of features, IMO. It had the best overall features I was looking for in an accurately 15* temp rated bag that was under $350 that was readily available that I knew of in 2006. My 2006 version in long has the half zip which I've learned to like. Even after having comfortably slept out under the stars in mine many times since 2006 and withstanding repeated washings, and having made additional and more expensive sleeping bag purchases(WM(2), Valandre(1), MontBell(1), and Nunatak bags(1)), it still has a place in my sleeping bag line-up.

My guess is that you will be happy with it and barring any strong warm spells it should provide some comfy nights sleeping in GSMNP in Oct.

Reid,

Not that I would necessarily do the same thing, but I understand your reasoning. For an additional high priced purchase like a pack, jacket, tent, etc that you would also make at REI and considering that you have the 20% coupon and 10% or so member rebate it might financialy work out in your favor. Just now know that you are committed to buying a pack at REI or another high priced($200+) purchase at REI for all this to make financial sense in the long run. You might later decide on a pack that REI doesn't carry or find it's prohibitively more expensive, even with the 20 % off coupon and your rebate check to purchase a pack at REI, because the same pack is on sale or much cheaper elsewhere.

Personally, I would just have went with the $313 Helium at BentGate or Campmor, not overly concern myself with my REI rebate, and look to use that 20 % off coupon on a later purchase at REI.

garlic08
05-16-2010, 15:42
One thing that makes sense buying at REI is their return policy. After all, doesn't REI stand for "Return Every Item"? Not saying the other vendors would give you a hard time, but REI is a known quantity and peace of mind is worth something.

I was extremely lucky in 2007 and bought the 2006 model (half zip) for half price on Steepandcheap.com. Best $160 I ever spent on hiking gear.

STICK
05-16-2010, 16:09
Rest assured, the money will be spent, somewhere, on something for hiking! :D