PDA

View Full Version : After Trail Majic..

TwoStepsForward
05-16-2010, 16:33
Where is a good place, or better yet, is there a place to donate items such as gear or supplies that you no longer need?

I am a fan of Craigslist but i think most free items would just be taken advantage of there and I would really like to see them go towards someone elese hiling experiance.

Is there a thread on this site? Sould or could we start one?

What do yall think? :-?

emerald
05-16-2010, 17:00
I like your idea and asking, but all I can post in reply is my opinion. A thread would be a good idea and I don't recall a general thread dedicated to that particular purpose although many items have found new owners in the manner you describe.

Maybe it would be best to post what you want to donate and try to find a good home your property yourself. That way you can exercise more control over the transfer and will have the satisfaction of knowing to what use your items will be put and by whom. Someone else will likely post with ideas about how to best accomplish that.

The equipment might be donated to ATC or maybe better yet to a Georgia service provider who has frequent contact with hikers and who could see your equipment is put to good use. Of course, there is no point in sending anything where it is unwanted.

safn1949
05-16-2010, 17:17
I have a call into the local Boy Scouts trying to donate 2 sleeping bags,they can't want them too bad as they have ignored me so far.
If that doesn't work,I will get a hold of my friend in WV and donate them to her Girl Scout troop.:D

emerald
05-16-2010, 17:58
Drop them off at Goodwill and ask for a receipt.

K2
05-16-2010, 17:59
Girl Scouts in my area are collecting sleeping bags for the homeless. Also, some boy scout/girl scout troops may appreciate your unwanted gear for when they camp out. K2

Jonnycat
05-16-2010, 19:29
Boy/Girl scouts.

Me, I am a backpacker, so I keep my gear and use it year after year.

TwoStepsForward
05-16-2010, 19:59
I have a call into the local Boy Scouts trying to donate 2 sleeping bags,they can't want them too bad as they have ignored me so far.
If that doesn't work,I will get a hold of my friend in WV and donate them to her Girl Scout troop.:D

yeah... we called the boy/girl scouts and were told a cash donation would "work better for them"... oh well...times have changed i guess... as an Economist i should know better....lol:rolleyes: