PDA

View Full Version : Another Gear List -section hike

bus
05-16-2010, 20:12
Here is my gear list for a section hike. Carvers Gap to Walnut Mtn. Road. Probably hiking past Walnut Mtn Road and then back tracking.

4 days 3 nights. June 13-16.

let me know what ya think.

Packing List

Hygiene
ToothBrush .25 oz
Toothpaste 1 oz
TP 1 oz
HandSanitizer 1 oz
Wetwipes 2 oz
Hair ties
Small Towel 1 oz
Sun Block 1 oz

Total 7.25 oz

Food
Meals (3 Dinner, 4 Lunch, 4 breakfast) 1’ 14 oz
Snacks (Clifbars, jerky, GORP) 16 oz
Water 2 liters (and camelback) 6’ est.

Total 2’ 14 oz

Cooking
MSR Pocket Rocket 4 oz
MSR Titan 2 Piece 12 oz
Spork .25 oz
Lighter .25
Fuel 12 oz
H2O Filter 16 oz

Total 2’ 12.5 oz
Shelter
Tent-Vapor Light 2 2’ 12 oz
Poles/stakes 1’ 6 oz
Marmot Pounder 16 oz
Liner 6 oz
Thermarest Pad 1’ 2 0z

Total 6’ 10 oz

Clothing
Worn
Campmor Convertible Pants
Columbia Sportswear Titanium Shirt
Socks
Toe Socks (blister stoppers for me)
Merrell Boots
Sun Hat 3 oz

Total

Extra
Campmor Convertible Pants 14 oz
Columbia Sportswear Titanium Shirt 7 oz
Socks 4 oz
Toe Socks 2 oz
Sierra Designs Rain Jacket 8 oz
1 long bottom 8 oz
Top base layer 6 oz
Target Poly Fleece Pullover 12 oz
Beanie cap 2 oz

Total 3’ 15 oz

Misc
Compass 1 oz
Maps 1 oz
Guide (photo copied pages) 1 oz
Camera 5 oz
IPOD?
Headlamp 3 oz
Knife 2 oz
Rope 4 oz

Total 1’ 1oz

First Aid
4 Immodium tabs
10 Ibuprofen tabs
Moleskin
Band Aids asst.
Neosporin (small tubes)
Benadryl 4 tabs
Italicized total- 2 oz
Bug Spray 1 oz

Total 3 oz

Pack 3 lbs

Grand Total 27’ 1.75oz

sbhikes
05-16-2010, 21:43
Here is my gear list for a section hike. Carvers Gap to Walnut Mtn. Road. Probably hiking past Walnut Mtn Road and then back tracking.

4 days 3 nights. June 13-16.

let me know what ya think.

Packing List

Shelter
Tent-Vapor Light 2 2’ 12 oz
Poles/stakes 1’ 6 oz
Marmot Pounder 16 oz
Liner 6 oz
Thermarest Pad 1’ 2 0z

Total 6’ 10 oz

Wow, that's awful heavy. Do you have to have the liner? Can you find a lighter shelter? Even a cheap blue tarp would be lighter than your over 3lbs of tent, poles and stakes. Heavy pad, too, but I suppose that's hard to replace for cheap if you don't like closed-cell foam.

Extra
Campmor Convertible Pants 14 oz
Columbia Sportswear Titanium Shirt 7 oz
Socks 4 oz
Toe Socks 2 oz
Sierra Designs Rain Jacket 8 oz
1 long bottom 8 oz
Top base layer 6 oz
Target Poly Fleece Pullover 12 oz
Beanie cap 2 oz

Total 3’ 15 oz

You're out for only 4 days and you're carrying a spare pair of pants and a spare shirt? Leave them home. Leave home any spare pants, shirts or other clothing. You only need one ensemble and some insulation to wear when it's cold or wet. A spare pair of socks or two and if you just can't sleep in your clothes, something to sleep in, but otherwise, no change of clothes is needed.

Hope that was of some help.

bflorac
05-16-2010, 22:45
Nothing major..
Small Towel 1 oz (skip, use hiking pole or stick)
Sun Block 1 oz (skip, don't need it in the woods)
MSR Titan 2 Piece 12 oz (do you really need 2 pots?)
Since you are only going for 4 days, you should have a good idea what the weather will be and likely will not need the bag liner.
You might also be able to plan on using shelters and avoid tent...especailly in good weather.
(as already listed - extra clothes?)

garlic08
05-16-2010, 22:59
I notice you're planning on carrying less than three pounds of food for four days. That sounds light. I don't remember what that terrain is like or how many miles. Probably won't need 12 oz fuel to cook that little bit of food, either.

Ditto the comment about the extra clothes.

Notice your single heaviest item is water. There may be stretches you won't need two liters and that's a good place to lighten up if you think the pack is heavy. I know I never carried more than one liter in that area.

Have a fun hike.

daddytwosticks
05-17-2010, 07:33
I might have missed it...are you using a pack? Didn't see it listed. Light on food? :)

M1 Thumb
05-17-2010, 08:03
Nothing major..
Small Towel 1 oz (skip, use hiking pole or stick)

Ha, thats a good one! I've never tried drying off or wiping something down with my pole or stick. :-?

I think the previous posters have hit the major items to consider leaving. If I had to pick a couple of items I would go with extra pants and shirt, bag liner, and sunscreen. Does your sun hat also fill in for a rain hat?

One thing you may want to consider is bug repellent. A couple oz. of Deet may be good insurance in case the mosquitoes are out in force.

M1 Thumb
05-17-2010, 08:05
Scratch the bug repellent, I just noticed it in your original list. Nothing to see here, just move along........

fredmugs
05-17-2010, 10:01
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people comment about the weight of the food as opposed to the quantity or the nutritional.

Your list is fine. Bring the sunblock if you normally need it. The only thing on your list you don't need is the compass.

Definitely bring the iPod - it's great for knocking out the tough climbs.

Kerosene
05-17-2010, 10:08
You probably don't need the sunscreen for this section, unless you plan to find a rock and take a nap in the sun.

Your food weight seems way too low for 3 days. I typically plan for 24 ounces per hiking day, and it can go higher if I'm not careful.

If you're just boiling water then you can find a smaller/lighter pot. 700-900 ml should be sufficient. Weight with cup need not exceed 8 ounces.

I'm not a proponent of water filters, especially as it is very difficult to keep from cross-contaminating the hoses. Go with Aqua Mira drops and save 13 ounces.

You could probably take 24 ounces out of your overall Shelter weight with a single-wall tent, lighter stakes, and a torso-length pad (put your pack under your feet). If you don't sleep at elevation then I don't think you'll need the liner in mid-June.

Replace the extra pair of pants with tights and save 6 ounces or more. I'd replace the extra short-sleeve shirt with a long-sleeve shirt, which gives you more warmth options. I'd only bring the long underwear or the liner; not both.

Replace the knife with a small multi-tool, or a one-sided razor blade and save an ounce.

Blissful
05-17-2010, 10:11
Looks good to me, though I use Aqua Mira, but no big deal for a short section. Be comfortable and have fun. I assume you just listed your clothing twice. Agree with just one set for hiking and one for camp. I carried about 1 1/2 lbs food per day, roughly.

Connie
05-17-2010, 13:46
I agree with what other people here have said. I would make the other layer pants, a wind shell/rain shell or rain chaps if there is a chance of walking thru wet brush. I do not know that trail. Maybe it is clear thruout? But wind shell/rain shell is a good extra layer, just as the tights are a good extra inner layer, not two of the identical item: sleep in the tights and the first layer top.

I go lightweight on the gear choices so I can have better food.

I think the cooking gear should not practically outweigh the food!

That stands out for me: my backpacking "kitchen" weighs 4.5 oz and 1.5 - 2 lbs food per day is more the "average expected food weight" to feel good and to enjoy the hike. I carry a Vargo 750 Sierra titanium, and a smaller titanium version of the Nimblewill "Little Dandy" with my Snow Peak titanium spork, if not the slightly heavier conical windscreen and Zelph Super Stove alcohol stove, as an example of a lightweight backpacking "kitchen" and I can turn out some fancy hot meals.

I may choose to "load up" heavy, if no fires are allowed, with a Snow Peak Lite Max and small canister for four days and three nights.

I can treat the restaurant dinner on the hike out, as a separate experience to be enjoyed

Many people make a run for the restaurant because the food they carried fails to "satisfy" so my food selections are the food items and meals I find satisfying and filling. If not, they are not backpacking food.

flemdawg1
05-17-2010, 14:01
Doing a similar section this weekend (hughes Gap to Erwin)
I'd leave the :
Fleece pullover
the liner
maybe the base layer top and bottom too. (i'm only expecting temps down to upper 40s, and you have 2 layers on top plus your rain jacket)

the rest is fine.

sbhikes
05-17-2010, 16:38
Even if we commented on the quality of the food rather than the weight, he'd need more weight to have better quality.

fredmugs
05-18-2010, 09:59
Even if we commented on the quality of the food rather than the weight, he'd need more weight to have better quality.

Weight = quality??? Not everyone likes pita and peanut butter.

Dehydrated meals weigh very little. Granola bars weigh next to nothing.

On a 4 day section hike you do not need to eat like a pig either. I average 20 mile days and maybe eat roughly 3,000 calories a day. I do not go hungry.

garlic08
05-18-2010, 15:42
...I average 20 mile days and maybe eat roughly 3,000 calories a day...

If you carry pure fat (say the best quality bacon on the planet) at roughly 200 cal/oz, that's still a pound a day. If you carry the typical mix of carbs and fats at 130 cal/oz, that's 1.5 pounds per day, which is about what I carry for 20-mile days, too. The OP is planning less than three pounds for four days. We're just saying it might be a little too lean to be enjoyable. Rules of thumb I've heard recommend 1.5 to 2 pounds per day for the average hiker. Less than one is quite outside the normal range. Sure, the numbers don't tell the whole story, but it is a starting point and an pretty good indication.

bus
05-19-2010, 15:40
I've been tweaking the list. Throwing some stuff out and adding some food. Though the food was msotly made up of dehydrated Hawks Vittles an dthat weight didnt include breakfast the first day or dinner the last. We will be off trail both of thos etimes.

Will post new weighst etc. later, hopefully if time permits.

Bear Cables
05-24-2010, 11:34
I think it looks good. Just a couple of little bitty thoughts. I just went through the whole evaluation and weighing items thing and whittled off 2 lbs with the little things. You can repackage your toothpaste into a very light sm balm jar. When I did that my toothbrush and paste went to .8oz , My cooking pot and dishes are: a 2 cup ti pot @ .7 cup @ .7, a ziplock plastic bowl @ .6 Also so for your short hike i think a smaller fuel cansiter will be fine. I used the smaller msr on my 3 nght 4 day hike in April and had fuel left.

Also I would love to know what food you are packing at that weight. Specifically what do you meals consist of?

RGB
05-24-2010, 12:05
I agree with those commenting on the extra clothes. You can wear one set of clothes for a while, haha. In my experience, wicking clothes usually take a while to get a strong smell of BO on them. I understand that some people just feel "dirty" after about three days or so and just have to take a shower and change. Well, that's what the wilderness is all about, being smelly.

But then again, it's just my opinion, so HYOH and have fun.

bus
05-31-2010, 17:31
Losing the extra clothes (except for socks), filter, 2nd pot, bag liner. May take the fleece depending on weather. May drop the sunblock, but having had skin cancer (basal cell), I may not.

As for food; which was the hot topic :) added a few things. The food I am taking is mostly dehydrated food and lighter-weight. 1st day breakfast will be at hostel as will the last days dinner. So really I am taking 3 breakfast meals, 4 lunches and 3 dinners. The Hawks Vittles are dehydrated.

Here are the weights

Breakfast-
2 Hawks Vittles Oatmeal 4 oz. x 2
1 Natures Pot Oatmeal 3oz. x 1
coffee w/ breakfast

Lunch Using this as my larger meal.
Hawks Vittles Cashew Curry 4.5 oz. x 2
Hawks Vittles N. African Stew 3.5 oz. x1
Couscous/tvp 1/2 cup each 8 oz. x1

Dinner Lighter Meal- I sleep better with lighter meals
Couscous/tvp 1/4 cup each 6 oz. x1
Alleghany Nodles 3.5 oz. (Dehydrated) 2 Ramen w/ Lipton soup mix 7 oz.

Snacks
Assorted Jerky 8 oz.
GORP (nuts Dried pineaple,
(bananas,coconut & m&m) 10 oz.
'Energy Cubes' (Honey, nuts,
carob etc.) 6 oz.

Rough weight was about 5.5 lbs.

Tweaking the weight etc. more the next few days