PDA

View Full Version : avoiding vandals

karl
10-27-2004, 07:00
I am planning to leave my truck at the Big Creek trailhead near Davenport Gap,in Smoky Mt. National Park,for a hike thru the park on the AT and was wondering if any one of you knew if this was a safe area.It is apparently very near to a ranger station.Thanks for any help.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2004, 07:52
The parking area is right at the ranger station. Or you could park at Mt. Momas store and hostel about 1/2 mile away. Both are safe.

MOWGLI
10-27-2004, 08:23
I am planning to leave my truck at the Big Creek trailhead near Davenport Gap,in Smoky Mt. National Park,for a hike thru the park on the AT and was wondering if any one of you knew if this was a safe area.It is apparently very near to a ranger station.Thanks for any help.

Youngblood recently parked his vehicle at the Ranger Station for 7 days during a hike in the park. No problems encountered.

Alligator
10-27-2004, 08:45
I parked for a week in that parking area (9/2001) and had no problems. The vehicle I left there was an F150 pickup, basic model no rust or dents.

smokymtnsteve
10-27-2004, 08:56
I have parked at BIG CREEK during season, when the VIP campground host is on duty, at this time of year that part of the park is not visited a lot , no Campground host is on duty, so not as secure as during the season. as LW sugessted MTN MOMMAS is a good place to park.

The Solemates
10-27-2004, 09:34
Or Bear Mtn Hostel is just on the other side of I-40. You could leave it there and Curtis would be happy to watch it for you.

chknfngrs
10-27-2004, 12:20
Remove all items of value from the car, and put them completely out of sight. don't tempt vandals to become thieves.

Hikerhead
10-27-2004, 18:05
Don't put a blaze orange hat on the back window deck. Damn PETA.

Chip
10-27-2004, 18:35
Left our car at the Big Creek Ranger Station for a week just 2 weeks ago. No problems. In fact the parking lot was full. Saw alot of both hikers and backpackers that week in the Smokies. ;)

Tater
10-27-2004, 20:26
, at this time of year that part of the park is not visited a lot, no Campground host is on duty, so not as secure as during the season. as LW sugessted MTN MOMMAS is a good place to park.
This is good advise. The Smokies are notorious for vandalism. You may get lucky but I wouldn't take the risk.

Noggin
10-28-2004, 01:40
The Smokies are notorious for vandalism. You may get lucky but I wouldn't take the risk.
I would second that.