PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Baptist Church

Lion King
05-17-2010, 10:27
of Damscus for all you do/did.

Free food, medical, showers, computers, shows, out and out love for a bunch of atheist hippies...lol..I kid...

but really, You guys are a great bunch and I would just like to give you a shout out.

Thank you.

Blissful
05-17-2010, 10:30
Yes yes and a huge YES!
The food was great, the smiles huge. Sure felt the love there!
Does anyone have an address for them (or I'll look online)

HikerMom58
05-17-2010, 10:38
Yes, A BIG thank you to everyone that shared the love!!

Body
05-17-2010, 11:16
I agree! Biggest thanks!

Cuffs
05-17-2010, 12:33
Got some great food at the Church, thanks!

Old Hiker
05-17-2010, 12:41
Does the 1st Baptist church run "The Place"?

wcgornto
05-17-2010, 12:46
Does the 1st Baptist church run "The Place"?

No. It's the next church up the street .... Methodist (?) I think.

Lone Wolf
05-17-2010, 13:05
No. It's the next church up the street .... Methodist (?) I think.

that is correct

Old Hiker
05-17-2010, 13:46
Thanks for the input.

Wonder
05-17-2010, 15:51
They always do a great job taking care of hikers at Trail Days........two thumbs up to Linda and Jeff who organize it (I think)

weary
05-17-2010, 17:43
Say a good word for the Methodist Church, also. Those Methodists serve hikers year round by running The Place, year after year. I spent a couple of nights there in 1993, while waiting for the Post Office to open on a Monday. The Place was already a legend 17 years ago, and has been providing a most valuable service ever since.

Weary

Lone Wolf
05-17-2010, 17:49
Say a good word for the Methodist Church, also. Those Methodists serve hikers year round by running The Place, year after year. I spent a couple of nights there in 1993, while waiting for the Post Office to open on a Monday. The Place was already a legend 17 years ago, and has been providing a most valuable service ever since.

Weary

"The Place" needs help: "ATTENTION HIKERS. In order to meet county building codes, fire marshal and health department codes; electrical and plumbing upgrades will have to be made to our Hostel as soon as possible.

PLEASE donate generously so we can continue to operate and meet your needs."

posted at the hostel by the church committee

Bearpaw
05-17-2010, 19:27
"The Place" needs help: "ATTENTION HIKERS. In order to meet county building codes, fire marshal and health department codes; electrical and plumbing upgrades will have to be made to our Hostel as soon as possible.

posted at the hostel by the church committee

Wolf, do you have the address where we can mail donations, or are they just talking about hikers that actually visit not stiffing the donation box?

Lone Wolf
05-17-2010, 20:30
Wolf, do you have the address where we can mail donations, or are they just talking about hikers that actually visit not stiffing the donation box?

doesn't matter. here http://www.holstonchurches.org/dumc/

Jonnycat
05-17-2010, 20:47
Last year on my PCT section hike I stopped by a Seventh Day Adventist camp for kids. They set me up with a nice hot shower with big fluffy white towels.

Since it was Saturday they weren't cooking, but I still got a nice sack lunch.

They didn't ask for a donation, and they even put a sign up on the PCT encouraging backpackers to come and enjoy the ammenities.

Seventh Day Adventists rock.

Bearpaw
05-17-2010, 20:48
doesn't matter. here http://www.holstonchurches.org/dumc/

Thanks. I'll gladly send a few dollars to the Place. They've done a LOT for hikers and cyclists over the years.

Lone Wolf
05-17-2010, 21:43
Thanks. I'll gladly send a few dollars to the Place. They've done a LOT for hikers and cyclists over the years.

thank you. most give nothing. i go there at least 10 times a day. there's been piles of wet, moldy towels for over a week in there. today a man whose son was staying there offered to wash them. trash cans overflow almost daily. very few empty them. what is wrong with folks? need babysitters i guess

modiyooch
05-18-2010, 07:47

posted at the hostel by the church committeeKeep in mind, this donation would be tax deductible.

Dholmblad
05-18-2010, 10:58
The pastor(not sure whatit would be in baptist church) helped me out in 2007. I misplaced my CC and had a limited amount of cash, he drove me out of his way to a bank so I could get back on my feet. I tell his story to everyone who asks me about the trail. Damascus is awesome.