PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Bald

scope
05-17-2010, 11:25
Anybody ever camp IN the observation tower on Wayah? Any issues other than the possibility/probability of others wanting to hang out there late and early?

Any good campsites real close by? How is the trail to the shelter, is that good trail that would be easy to do in the dark (with headlamp of course)?

Hikes in Rain
05-17-2010, 11:33
Not sure of the legal status (I would expect it's no camping allowed, but don't know), but given that there's a paved road leading to it, as well as a sidewalk leading up to it, I'd think camping there would be subject to a lot of interuptions!

Can't speak to nearby campsites. Too many years since I hiked that way. (When I did it, the shelter hadn't been built!)

sizemj
05-17-2010, 11:34
The Waya shelter is really close by I think about a mile. and It is the nicest and newest shelter on that section of the trail. Also the Waya tower is really close to a road, and I do not like camping that closed to a road.

Hikes in Rain
05-17-2010, 11:37
Just checked the Companion. There's a campsite with water 0.4 miles north. The shelter is half a mile further (0.9 miles total.) Water there, too.

scope
05-17-2010, 11:49
The Waya shelter is really close by I think about a mile. and It is the nicest and newest shelter on that section of the trail. Also the Waya tower is really close to a road, and I do not like camping that closed to a road.

Dbase says .7m, what's the hike like? Looks like its all downhill - steep? Going with a buddy who doesn't really hike, so that's the reason I'm asking what would otherwise be kinda stupid questions.

Agreed on the road, that's my fear is that there will be revelers to deal with, not that I ever did that at all and certainly wouldn't be doing that at my age!! ;)

At least its not a through-traffic road, and my hope is the weather will be a turnoff for most people wanting to negotiate that road at night or early a.m.

Hikes in Rain
05-17-2010, 13:00
Curiously, the Companion doesn't list an elevation for the shelter, but does list the Bald as 5,342, with the campsite six-tenths of a mile away (my first number was wrong...apparently I can't subtract) as 5,200. Say, about a 1% slope? Not too steep at all; should be pretty easy hiking.

scope
05-17-2010, 15:16
The elevation profile I have shows it dropping off pretty good going Nobo. Dbase shows shelter and camp at 5200', camp at 0.4m and shelter at 0.7m from top.

Anyone know which is more correct, the Whiteblaze database, or the Companion?

sizemj
05-17-2010, 16:05
I was there last year and it is down hill (NOBO) but I do not remember how steep though.

Here is a picture

scope
05-18-2010, 07:55
The elevation profile I have shows it dropping off pretty good going Nobo. Dbase shows shelter and camp at 5200', camp at 0.4m and shelter at 0.7m from top.

Anyone know which is more correct, the Whiteblaze database, or the Companion?

bump de bump de bump...

So what is the real distance from the tower to the shelter... know its seems pretty negligible to most here, but to my friend I'm taking along, it matters if I'm correct about it being more like a half mile vs a full mile.

sizemj
05-18-2010, 08:19
I will look in my trail guide later for you

Hikes in Rain
05-18-2010, 09:36
ATC Guide also shows it as 0.9 miles. I recall the trail there being wide and smooth. I wouldn't think it's that bad for a non-hiker, as long as (s)he's not carrying a ton of stuff.

cowpoke
05-18-2010, 09:48
Anybody ever camp IN the observation tower on Wayah? Any issues other than the possibility/probability of others wanting to hang out there late and early?

Any good campsites real close by? How is the trail to the shelter, is that good trail that would be easy to do in the dark (with headlamp of course)?

I hiked through this section about 10 days ago...as to sleeping in the tower...the base of the tower had about 3 inches of water in it...very dank and dark....sleeping on top....don't know....but there was a NC park agent visiting the tower when I was there...the shelter is about .9 mile down the mountain...trail is not difficult in this section...nice shelter...it sits at about 4,800 feet. cheers.

Hikes in Rain
05-18-2010, 10:08
So, you'll drop 542 feet in that nine-tenths of a mile, on a wide, easy part of the trail. Honestly, scope, I think your friends should be fine. And there's the campsite at about half the distance, if you'd prefer to camp.

I think you said you were arriving after dark? Bring good headlamps! In that case, the shelter might be the better destination. Setup is simpler.

scope
05-18-2010, 15:24
I just read that the tower is closed, can anyone confirm that? Stimulus funds being used to repair/reconstruct the tower apparently. Don't think construction has begun, the the Dec09 article said it was closing.

If cowpoke was there, then maybe they've closed off the road and not the tower itself?

cowpoke
05-18-2010, 15:55
I just read that the tower is closed, can anyone confirm that? Stimulus funds being used to repair/reconstruct the tower apparently. Don't think construction has begun, the the Dec09 article said it was closing.

If cowpoke was there, then maybe they've closed off the road and not the tower itself?

The road was open...a couple of cars plus the NC forest service agents truck in the parking area. We used the indoor latrine...nice...then walked up the walkway to the tower. Didn't see any signs saying it was going to be closing...but again...this was about 10 days ago. cheers.

scope
05-18-2010, 16:20
The road was open...a couple of cars plus the NC forest service agents truck in the parking area. We used the indoor latrine...nice...then walked up the walkway to the tower. Didn't see any signs saying it was going to be closing...but again...this was about 10 days ago. cheers.

That's good enough first-hand experience for me. The article was from December, but I couldn't find anything since then about it being closed, including scouring recent trail journal entries.

Bulldawg
05-18-2010, 21:06
bump de bump de bump...

So what is the real distance from the tower to the shelter... know its seems pretty negligible to most here, but to my friend I'm taking along, it matters if I'm correct about it being more like a half mile vs a full mile.

As others have pointed out, the shelter is just shy of a mile downhill. I hiked it southbound about a month ago. It is a downhill, but I've hiked much worse downhill. One word of advice if hiking at night (or during the day for that matter), don't mistakenly turn onto the Bartram on the way down. To the best of my recollection the Bartram goes almost straight while the AT makes a left turn while heading towards the shelter. The shelter is on the right if NOBO about 100 yards off the trail. The water is on a trail directly across the AT from the shelter trail, maybe 300 yards or so. There is also some great spots in the rhodies on the left just past the shelter. Another great spot is Licklog Gap, just beyond the shelter. No water there, but nice level spots with a fabulous sunrise.

scope
05-19-2010, 09:04
Thanks, good to know. We'll be coming in during the afternoon and will make note of that turnoff. We will probably check out the shelter, but most likely camp closer to the top. Is the Bartram intersection within a half mile, before the campsite?

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 10:14
Don't tell anyone. At the far end of the parking lot there is a picnic area. We car camped there for three days a year ago Nov and no one bothered us.

bigmac_in
05-19-2010, 13:19

I was just there this past weekend. The road is open to the tower. There is a sign at the paved path to the tower that says the tower is closed. It wasn't blocked off and we went up to the observation deck. A few of the large stones have been removed, but for the most part is intact and seemed safe.

Big Mac

Praha4
05-19-2010, 15:27
I stayed at Wayah Shelter April 28th, its one of the newest shelters in NC, very nice, and great sunset/sunrise views.... there's a spring back up on the white blaze, and a nice privy very close to the shelter. The Wayah tower was open when I was there, but obvious damage to the stone wall on one side from freezing/thawing of water I would assume. Beautiful views from the tower. Saw several campsites along the AT white blaze just north and south of the shelter

tagg
05-20-2010, 15:34
Another great spot is Licklog Gap, just beyond the shelter. No water there, but nice level spots with a fabulous sunrise.

+1, el jefe and i hung our hammocks here last week and it is a fantastic camping spot if you carry a little water for dinner.