PDA

View Full Version : Average Fuel Canister Life

Daydream Believer
05-17-2010, 21:56
I know there are going to be a lot of variables but I'm heading out for a 7 day section hike. My time is limited so I'm not going to resupply if I can help it. We have a little canister stove that boils water in maybe 5 minutes or so...if that.

What is realistic to expect a canister to last? If I used it 3 times a day for 7 days that is 21 boils. Do you think one canister will last that long? It's an 8 oz canister. I will take a second one but I hate to pack the weight if I don't really need it.

Thanks!

bflorac
05-17-2010, 22:13
I use my Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with a 220g tank (about 8oz) and get a weeks worth of use. I use it for boiling 2 cups of water for my Mountain House dinner. I also use it a few times to boil water for oatmeal in the morning. So, I don't use it for lunch nor do I do a lot of simmering. You can conserve fuel by not turning the valve to full. It will boil just as fast without heating the air too. Not sure what you are cooking but it sounds like you might be light with just 1 tank. Perhaps toss in a smaller tank as a backup. Depending on where you ar hiking, it may be possible to buy along the way.

Daydream Believer
05-17-2010, 22:26
Thanks...I thought I might be light. I may be heating water for lunch and breakfast a few times as I have some soups and scrambled egg meals...so I may be using it 3 times a day several days...and certainly for dinner all 7 days. I think I will take a second canister to be safe then.

I appreciate your help. :-)

Mags
05-17-2010, 22:27
~12 boils (2 cups water) in normal 3 season conditions for a 4 oz canister.
~24 boils for an 8 oz canister.

Obviously, these are just rules of thumb. Temps, high winds, how much simmering, etc. can impact upon your measurements.

Jim Adams
05-18-2010, 00:56
I boil water for tea in the morning and cook a lipton type dinner at night. My cannisters last 7-10 days. They're not that heavy for just a week..take a spare and stop the worry.

geek

Hokie
05-18-2010, 07:06
I take a couple of esbit tabs as backup rather than an extra canister when it might be "borderline" and have rarely needed them. They weigh 12gms each and will easily boil 2 cups of water.

daddytwosticks
05-18-2010, 07:26
I've had the same experiences as Mags w/my Snowpeak Giga...I sometimes get a few more boils out of the small canister, however I usually hike in warmer weather and I tend to be stingy with gas (cooking gas that is). :)