PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Smokemont and Big Creek

Bianchi Veloce
05-18-2010, 09:53
Planning on doing a hike from Smokemont to Big Creek during the Memorial Day week. I plan to take it real slow so I can "stop and smell the roses" as they say.

Looking for any helpful advice or background (in particular, status of water sources, condition of trail, bear activity, any ford crossings to be aware of) on the following campsites: 48, 44, 38, and Laurel Gap Shelter.

I've already made my reservations for the rationed sites of Laural Gap Shelter and campsite 38.

Thanks in advance for any help. SGT Rock's guide has been most helpful in my planning.

generoll
05-18-2010, 10:47
Sounds like you've got it pretty well mapped out. I stayed at those sites on my BMT section through there and liked both sites. If you want to stretch out your days you could also feed in McGhee Springs and the site on top of Mt. Stirling. The site at Enloe Creek is small and really only has room for one tent. Beautiful site and of course plenty of water. The water was a trickle when I was at Laurel Gap Shelter, but still sufficient.

SGT Rock
05-18-2010, 11:15
If I had it to do all over again I would stay at Enloe Creek and Mount Sterling. Laurel Gap shelter was a mud pit when I stayed there. Standing water in the front half of the shelter.

liteweight
05-18-2010, 22:55
enloe creek is a great site with a steel bridge built across Raven fork. Laurel Gap is ok and is only one of two shelters with the bear fence still up. One of my favorite trails in the park is mt sterling ridge going from laurel gap over to mt sterling. There are currently no bear warning at any of the sites you are going to stay at. Check this periodically, it is updated a couple of times a week.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Egads
05-19-2010, 06:48
If I had it to do all over again I would stay at Enloe Creek and Mount Sterling.

I second Rock's recommendations

jlb2012
05-19-2010, 08:06
Enloe Creek was nice but I ended up hanging one end of the hammock from the bridge just to get a reasonable hang

Bianchi Veloce
05-21-2010, 08:41
Thanks for ya'lls advice. Still in the process of firming up my hike. Your advice of Enloe Creek is most helpful.