PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Holes in GA?

av8er79
05-18-2010, 10:09
I will be sectional hiking GA next week. Was wondering if anyone knew of any swimming holes that were located close to the trail?

max patch
05-18-2010, 10:21
The Jarrad Gap Trail (between Woody and Neels) is 1 mile to Lake Winfield Scott which has a lake with a sandy beach and defined swimming area with a dock out in the lake.

A good day hike is to park at LWS, hike on the Jarrad Gap Trail to the AT, hike N on the AT to the Slaughter Creek Trail, and then hike the Slaughter Creek Trail which goes back to LWS. End the day with a swim.

daddytwosticks
05-18-2010, 15:40
What about Long Creek Falls right after Three Forks...a hiker can take a dip there. :)

Tabasco
05-18-2010, 16:08
The Holiday Inn Express in Hiawassee has an awesome swimming hole. Hot tub too!

Sierra Echo
05-18-2010, 21:38
The Jarrad Gap Trail (between Woody and Neels) is 1 mile to Lake Winfield Scott which has a lake with a sandy beach and defined swimming area with a dock out in the lake.

A good day hike is to park at LWS, hike on the Jarrad Gap Trail to the AT, hike N on the AT to the Slaughter Creek Trail, and then hike the Slaughter Creek Trail which goes back to LWS. End the day with a swim.

Lake Winfield Scott is COLD!!!!!!!!!

Sierra Echo
05-18-2010, 21:46
ACK! I couldn't figure out how to edit my original answer!
I meant to add that vogel lake is just down the road from Neel's Gap.
Its a really nice area and it has a camp ground too.
If I remember correctly, it has putt putt too! :p

K2
05-22-2010, 02:11
In Georgia: http://www.swimmingholes.org/ga.html

I don't know how accurate it is.
K2

Uncle Cranky
05-22-2010, 07:03
A few years back I did a 4 day section hike with my son. We stayed at the Hiawassee Inn for an overnight stay and shuttle services. It was early June and quite hot at the time. On the drive around town we noticed a great little municipal park just north of town. After check-in we headed to the park and took a nice swim in the late afternoon. I remember the fantastic view of the mountains across the deep blue waters...fantastic place for down time. There's also a bath house and a picnic area with grills. A stop at the store for some charcoal and steaks, etc. would have made the evening complete. Though this opportunity for a swim is not ON the trail it is a great place non-the-less!!

Hikes in Rain
05-22-2010, 08:10
In Georgia: http://www.swimmingholes.org/ga.html

I don't know how accurate it is.
K2

Very nice resource, K2. Makes me want to go exploring.:)

Lucycatherine
07-24-2010, 08:59
To find out the top swimming holes (http://www.backcountrysecrets.com/outdoor-sport/15/places-to-swim-and-swimming-holes.aspx) in USA. The best website is backcountrysecrets. I planned my trip to swimming holes from the list given in the site.

I hope this will be useful for everyone who is planning for a trip to swimming holes

B.B.
08-02-2010, 12:48
I just hiked GA thru a couple of weeks ago. Someone above mentioned Long Creek Falls...It was beautiful and a nice place for lunch and a rest, but deepest water was a little more than ankle deep. If it had been later in the week, we probably would have laid down in it or at least sat in it because it was hot!! However it was our first day...started at Springer...so we just waded.

OnlyJohn
08-02-2010, 13:36
There is actually a very large and virtually unknown swimming hole just south of Amicalola Falls on the Etowah river. It is called Devil's Elbow. We who have lived here all of our lives have been going there forever. At one time it was so deep that the old timers said it was bottomless. That was a long time ago. Some of the local churches still use it for their baptizing services when the weather is warm.

Only John