PDA

View Full Version : Hartford to Bulls Bridge, plus...

Tractor
05-18-2010, 11:07
Just made my flight arrangements for my next section. To arrive Hartford the evening of June 16 and will need to make our way to Bulls Bridge area the next morning. Need advice from you'all who know the area. Plan to hike up near, oh, Williamstown MA and get to Albany on or near Tuesday June 29. I will research options over the next few days but would like any input you may have. Thanks Muchly and have a great rest of the day if at all possible. tractor

makoboy
05-18-2010, 11:52
I live about halfway between Hartford and Bulls Bridge, I would give you a ride, but I will be on my own week long section on the AT / LT up in VT. Public transit in this area is pretty poor. Short of finding another WB'er in the area, taking taxi's or a car service to the trail you will have to work with the bus system. I would reccomend calling the NW CT Transit District at 866-906-7433 (http://www.nwcttransit.com/index.html). They would be the best people to give you advice of how to peice together the trip.

Tractor
05-18-2010, 16:14
Thanks for the link Makoboy. I am beginning to see what you mean about available tranport in the area.

Tractor
05-18-2010, 19:17
oops. Make that arriving June 19, not the 16th.

Old Grouse
05-18-2010, 19:32
You'd be a lot better off flying into a New York airport if it's not too late to change your plans. From NYC you can take a train to w/i a few miles of Bulls Bridge.

Dogwood
05-18-2010, 19:42
You'll probably be eager to hit the trail right away, but it's worth it to take some time exploring the historic aspects of Bulls Bridge and closely examing the scenic fluted, smoothed and deep potholed rocks and water chutes at Bulls Bridge near the waterfall.

Tractor
05-19-2010, 08:15
Old Grouse, now you have me pondering. Last year I caught a ride with Mrs. Robinson from Bulls Bridge to Wingdale then a train to Central Station, walked to Penn Station then trains to PA. So. If I flew in to NYC, took the shuttle bus to Central Station, not too many steps and not too long in time either (maybe even less $$ than from Hanover??) I have an email in to a possible Hanover ride and waiting for reply for now though.

Dogwood, we may just linger near the bridge before heading out. I brought up some history as well. Thanks.

sasquatch2014
05-19-2010, 09:25
If you end up doing the route up out of NYC I can give you a lift to the trail and would be glad to point out some of the history that i know of the area along the way. As far as your return from the Albany area you could always just take the Amtrack back down from there to Penn Station and then catch your flight out of NYC.

If you are still planning Hartford you will want to look into a bus maybe to Danbury and then try and catch the Housatonic Area Rapid Transit (HART) to see if they have any buses that go up to the area. Bulls Bridge may not be a stop but Gaylordsville might be. Once you get that far if you need a lift the rest of the way give me a shout.

Old Grouse
05-19-2010, 12:20
Really, your best bet is to fly into NYC, then get to Grand Central Station, then a train (Harlem Divison) to Wingdale (or just to Pawling if Sasquatch will shuttle you). If you fly into Bradley (Hartford) and take a bus to Danbury, the HART bus will take you up Rte 7 only as far as New Milford, which is maybe 12 miles south of Bulls Bridge. Again, you'd need to hitch or work out a shuttle or spring for taxi fare north from New Milford. (I'm just guessing they have taxis in NM.)

The time and effort to get from Hartford to Bulls Bridge is much greater than that from NYC.

Tractor
05-19-2010, 17:55
My Southwest rewards flight possiblities are limited and mostly evening/night to anywhere around there. That is one reason I selected Hanover. Did get a hint to check appalachiantrail.org and found their shuttle list. Emailed a couple just now. I feel a plan coming together!

Tractor
05-19-2010, 17:56
Hartford, not Hanover

Tractor
06-09-2010, 18:55
Oh Boy! Thought to check Southwest and sure enough there was a worthy rewards flight available for Laguardia instead of Hartford and early enough to possibly hit the trail same day instead of an overnight hotel wait & long shuttle. Will take the train to Wingdale now.

Also didn't realize how far off the Hartford airport really is.

Painted Turtle
06-09-2010, 19:09
Contact me I am on the shuttle list.

Old Grouse
06-09-2010, 19:18
Way to go, Tractor! (No pun intended.)