PDA

View Full Version : Singles area?

Darwin again
05-18-2010, 11:20
How about having a "Singles" forum here for hikers interested in meeting other hikers who are interested in meeting and having relationships with other long distance hikers?

Seems like there'd be a demand for it...

Mags
05-18-2010, 11:34
I am going to make a pre-emptive post here:

Play nice. :sun

gungho
05-18-2010, 11:51

you suck..............just saying:sun

kayak karl
05-18-2010, 12:09
How about having a "Singles" forum here for hikers interested in meeting other hikers who are interested in meeting and having relationships with other long distance hikers?

all the rapists and pedophiles are already registered on e-harmony.:D

Old Hiker
05-18-2010, 12:14

Awwwwwww...... mommmmmmm - no one else will !!!!!

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 12:46
all the rapists and pedophiles are already registered on e-harmony.:D
And elsewhere I imagine. . . . :rolleyes::eek:

kanga
05-18-2010, 13:15

i'll second this suggestion. there have been several threads with people wanting to meet other hikers and the op's get slammed for it. why not have a forum where the naysayers don't have to go look at it if they don't want to?

JAK
05-18-2010, 14:10
If I can't have fun, nobody else should be allowed to have fun.
Just sayin'.

JAK
05-18-2010, 14:13
It is rather like opening up an ice cream thread on a weight watchers forum. lol

Mags
05-18-2010, 14:14
And elsewhere I imagine. . . . :rolleyes::eek:

Er..um, yeah..... :)

I don't know about meeting LD hikers..but my Dad once told me that they way to meet someone is to do something you enjoy..think about meeting someone for dating ater. Make sense.

If you join a place for the express purpose of meeting someone, you probably won't.

If you do something you enjoy, you usually meet someone you already have a base interest at heart.

I never joined a 'singles group'. I have been active socially over the years and have met many great people through volunteering, outdoor activities and social functions. Been able to date some lovely people. They may not have worked out romantically, but I am on friendly terms with them. And my current better half is someone I met on a hike.

Good luck...if you want to start a dating forum, you may want to consider volunteering to moderate it too.. :D

stranger
05-18-2010, 16:24
I agree with Mags, you're not going to meet someone sitting behind a computer...well, because you are sitting behind a computer. Get out there and do things and these things tend to happen...eventually. I met past significant others in school, through social circles, and twice at, or associated with work.

What has happened to our society that people no longer talk to one another? Like people who won't answer their phone but then text you straight back? Sitting behind a computer in isolation attempting to "meet" someone...seems strange to me, but I understand people lack the confidence to do anything more, or perhaps simply don't have the time.

Anyhow...I don't have a problem with a singles thread on here, that's fine with me, but I do think it will do more harm than good and i do think most folks on here, the overwhelming majority, are men...so it's probably gonna be fairly one sided!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-18-2010, 16:50
May I suggest joining your local hiking club and participating as a way to meet other hikers in your area.

As for a singles forum here - the admins/ mods have enough headaches without adding this one.

Jonnycat
05-18-2010, 16:56
Don't encourage them, if I get another chick hitting on me through PMs on this forum I'm going to scream.

trailangelbronco
05-18-2010, 17:23
If you want to meet someone, just go golfing and pick up the wrong ball a few times.

Or, hike naked for a few days.

K2
05-18-2010, 17:27
Don't encourage them, if I get another chick hitting on me through PMs on this forum I'm going to scream.

Dear Jonnycat, I don't think chicks can get near you with all those cats prowling about :rolleyes:.

I'm not interested in a singles forum; I kind of think these would bring out the worst in people. Having said that, if enough people are interested, I won't be standing in their way. K2

Spokes
05-18-2010, 17:34
OH NO! I feel another "earthy female wanted" post coming...........

JustaTouron
05-18-2010, 17:47

Or "no creapy dudes"

kanga
05-18-2010, 17:52
I agree with Mags, you're not going to meet someone sitting behind a computer...well, because you are sitting behind a computer. Get out there and do things and these things tend to happen...eventually. I met past significant others in school, through social circles, and twice at, or associated with work.

What has happened to our society that people no longer talk to one another? Like people who won't answer their phone but then text you straight back? Sitting behind a computer in isolation attempting to "meet" someone...seems strange to me, but I understand people lack the confidence to do anything more, or perhaps simply don't have the time.

Anyhow...I don't have a problem with a singles thread on here, that's fine with me, but I do think it will do more harm than good and i do think most folks on here, the overwhelming majority, are men...so it's probably gonna be fairly one sided!

you sir are very mistaken. I work 60 hr weeks and if it were not for this "computer" I get behind, I would have missed out on meeting my most favorite people in the world. People that, because I met them here, I go hike amazing hikes with, like the knife edge. I thank God that I had this great place to meet such amazing and brilliant people. I see absolutely no real reason other than legal liabilities that it would not be a super idea.

Marta
05-18-2010, 18:14
While it seems like a reasonable idea, I suspect a Singles forum would be plagued with the sorts of problems the women's forum is, but in spades. Kibbutzers and snide interlopers...and just downright Asshats. In other words, an administrative nightmare.

RGB
05-18-2010, 18:24

haha! That was the first thing I thought of. That still probably remains the funniest thread I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Skidsteer
05-18-2010, 18:40
While it seems like a reasonable idea, I suspect a Singles forum would be plagued with the sorts of problems the women's forum is, but in spades. Kibbutzers and snide interlopers...and just downright Asshats. In other words, an administrative nightmare.

I nominate Kanga to moderate it.

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 18:42
May I suggest joining your local hiking club and participating as a way to meet other hikers in your area.

As for a singles forum here - the admins/ mods have enough headaches without adding this one.

That's great. . . wanna go to the movies with me? . . .

While it seems like a reasonable idea, I suspect a Singles forum would be plagued with the sorts of problems . . . and snide interlopers...and just downright Asshats.

I know right? . . . :D

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 18:43
I nominate Kanga to moderate it.
Nice choice!! Second. . . .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-18-2010, 18:44
you sir are very mistaken. I work 60 hr weeks and if it were not for this "computer" I get behind, I would have missed out on meeting my most favorite people in the world. People that, because I met them here, I go hike amazing hikes with, like the knife edge. I thank God that I had this great place to meet such amazing and brilliant people. I see absolutely no real reason other than legal liabilities that it would not be a super idea.While I agree the computer is a great way to meet others to meet up with occasionally (like the hobos do), most people want their love interest to be in somewhat the same geographic location. I stand by my suggestion - join the local hiking club and participate. You will meet others in your area and can get to know them a bit before sharing a tent with them :D

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 18:45
You will meet others in your area and can get to know them a bit before sharing a tent with them :D
. . . and stuff. . . .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-18-2010, 18:46
If Kanga is gonna moderate it, I may change my mind :banana

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 18:49
If Kanga is gonna moderate I'm gonna change my pants. . .

Skidsteer
05-18-2010, 18:53

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif

GGS2
05-18-2010, 19:12
. . . and stuff. . . .
So to speak.

Am I mistaken, or did the Earthy female thread turn into the Earthly female thread? Or was it the other way around? And if so, what would be better, an earthly female or an unearthly female? I get so confused some times.

kanga
05-18-2010, 19:20
While I agree the computer is a great way to meet others to meet up with occasionally (like the hobos do), most people want their love interest to be in somewhat the same geographic location. I stand by my suggestion - join the local hiking club and participate. You will meet others in your area and can get to know them a bit before sharing a tent with them :D

No worries. I don't share my tent with people I do know.

Gaiter
05-18-2010, 19:22
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif

yeah like warraghiyagey ever wears pants, he doesn't even exist

kanga
05-18-2010, 19:22

$3 says you're not wearing pants. Now get back in your corner.

kanga
05-18-2010, 19:24

See?

10 characters

Gaiter
05-18-2010, 19:26

haha great minds think alike

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 19:26
While I agree the computer is a great way to meet others to meet up with occasionally (like the hobos do), most people want their love interest to be in somewhat the same geographic location. I stand by my suggestion - join the local hiking club and participate. You will meet others in your area and can get to know them a bit before sharing a tent with them :D

Wow, I did not know that HOBO's shared the Interloper internet.....:eek:

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 19:28

I raise that and hold at $4... 20 chrs.... Wharg is a character.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-18-2010, 19:36
:::: Dino seen peeking into Warraghy's window ::::

Kanga and the Owl win...... and you don't want to know what he was doing :eek:

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 20:45
:DNo need to peek - tough to see a thimble at that distance.:D

No see ummmmm, dosn't exsist!

All jokin aside FD are you going to the shore this year?

double d
05-18-2010, 20:48
Ohhhh the drama before the drama if a "singles only" forum is created here at WB!!!

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 20:49
Yea thats a LOT of drama - "Days of our Hikes"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-18-2010, 21:43
Owl, we may not make the NC shore this year because we are going to Hawaii to see our granddaughter and her family

BTW, I was using a telescope when I peeked just to be sure he was not wearing pants.... had to disinfect it afterward ::: shutter :::

Bucherm
05-19-2010, 00:53
If we get a singles area I'll have to work on my molestache and creepy smile. Then become a donating customer and upload it as my avatar. :D

prain4u
05-19-2010, 03:56

I agree with you.

Theoretically--it is a reasonable idea. However, in reality, it would quickly become a Moderator's nightmare. Furthermore, just imagine the problems that would arise within in the entire WhiteBlaze community when relationships went badly. People would be making all sorts of allegations against each other. People would be picking sides. We have seen that scenario plenty of times before--even without a singles forum.

If WhiteBlaze was the type of place where the members had to vote on these kinds of changes before they were implemented--I would vote "No"

Marta
05-19-2010, 07:11
Isn't there already a Hooking Up forum?:D

warraghiyagey
05-19-2010, 07:33
:::: Dino seen peeking into Warraghy's window ::::

Kanga and the Owl win...... and you don't want to know what he was doing :eek:

I knew you were there. . . :p

Isn't there already a Hooking Up forum?:D
Good point. . . :)

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 07:38

Do not talk about hobos!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-19-2010, 10:40
Do not talk about hobos!Sorry, the 'do not discuss' rule does not apply to those of us who are not members. The hobos get discussed frequently in other private groups and not in a good way. I'm glad they found a home - Rock did a huge favor for WB when he gave them a place other than WB to act out.

Lone Wolf
05-19-2010, 10:41
what's a hobo?

kanga
05-19-2010, 10:44
isn't that the homeless people that live on trains?

Lone Wolf
05-19-2010, 10:49
Sorry, the 'do not discuss' rule does not apply to those of us who are not members. The hobos get discussed frequently in other private groups and not in a good way. I'm glad they found a home - Rock did a huge favor for WB when he gave them a place other than WB to act out.

hobocentral died out some years back. now it's just a wannabe website

Alligator
05-19-2010, 10:56
I'm pretty sure ATTroll has expressed no interest in a singles forum. There is the Hooking Up forum but most posts in there are platonic. Singles type posts have been attempted in that forum but they have not usually gone over too well. Based on past history I don't foresee creation of a Singles Forum.