PDA

View Full Version : Begining of August, Where to Hike?

nyushka42
05-18-2010, 16:52
So I've finally almost convinced a friend of mine to head out onto the AT for a couple weeks of hiking with me, the only problem being that we're rather limited to the first 2 weeks of August. Where would ya'll recommend I plan our little hike? I figure the south will probably be wicked hot at that point (& I've already done all of GA anyway). Would really appreciate some advise!

Cookerhiker
05-18-2010, 17:21
My first thought is New Hampshire but unless you're in tip-top shape and have hiked a lot going into this hike, I'd plan for a slow pace especially when you hit the White Mountains. Don't know how familiar you are with the Whites, but you can't camp above treeline so plan accordingly. I'd start at Hanover and hike north. Bring bug repellent.

You could also hike parts of Maine but if you start at Gorham and hike north to the Bigalows, you're finding yourself on probably the toughest part of the entire AT. It's very picturesque and can be enjoyed at your own pace. You may want to consider starting at Caratunk and hiking north to Katahdin.

Blissful
05-18-2010, 17:55
Vermont is nice.