PDA

View Full Version : bag recommendations again

Duff
05-18-2010, 18:55
Okay; I've read most of the posts and now just more confused than ever. If money, time, and mail support are not factors - What degree bags are recommended for a SOBO starting in mid-June. I beleiove I'm committed to down, rather than synthetic. On my NOBO (started in March), I carried a 0 degree Marmot and switched to a 45 degree Moutain Hardware in Damascus - I was very happy, though somewhat chilled in NewHampshire/Maine. Thanks!

warraghiyagey
05-18-2010, 18:58
I'm quite surprised you've done a NOBO and weren't able to extract from that experience what bag you'd like best for a SOBO. . . .:-?

Blissful
05-18-2010, 19:51
I'm starting with my 25 degree marmot pounder plus, but its synthetic (worked good for me in NH and ME on my NOBO). I will go to my Montbell down hugger later in the fall for the Smokies and Roan

skinewmexico
05-19-2010, 00:22
Hard to beat Western Mountaineering bag...........just pick the bag based on your shoulder size. Megalite works for me.

slugger
05-25-2010, 08:54
Has any one done a SOBO without a bag. like using a light weight blanket or something? I'm just trying to find ways to cut weight. I imagine that my silk liner alone isn't enough?

slugger
05-25-2010, 09:05
Has any one done a SOBO without a bag. like using a light weight blanket or something? I'm just trying to find ways to cut weight. I imagine that my silk liner alone isn't enough?

Just to clarify, I don't mean the whole trail SOBO without a bag. :rolleyes:

I just mean the first few months when it's summer.

Blissful
05-25-2010, 09:57
Not at the elevations you will be dealing with, esp the Whites in particular (which can get sleet and zero degree wind chills). No way. Cut it in other ways

Dogwood
05-25-2010, 11:29
This is probablly what you want to hear. If you are just seeking a bag based on temp rating I could easily say I bet a 25* bag should do fine under the conditions you mentioned.

OR, I could tell you this is the age of the internet. At many of the weather websites you can rather easily pull up stats on avg temps, avg lows, avg highs for not only any state, but geographical area, town, and many specific places for any month and even specific day. Make sure you make note of the elev where those avg temp statistics are taken. If you think you will be spending time at a higher elev than where the avg temp stats are taken figure that into your avg temps. 3* colder for each 1000 ft increase in elevation. Base your sleeping bag choices from there!

If you learn to do this I think it will avoid the confusing and various recommendations given by others. You can do this to learn about all manner of weather stats so that YOU can then BEST decide what's BEST FOR YOU because you will know what to expect from the weather!

Enjoy the Hike!

Marta
05-25-2010, 11:51
Summer in Maine, NH, and VT is not summer as we know it in the southeast. I started SOBO with a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag, and was quite happy I had that much bag more than once. I mean, seriously, how much lighter than two pounds do you want to get?

slugger
05-25-2010, 17:13
Okay, at what point to you trade out for a summer bag? Or do you not need a summer one when you go SOBO.

Wrangler88
05-25-2010, 22:55

I used a golite ultra 20 (quilt) and it was plenty for me through Maine. I didn't get into the Whites, so I can't really tell you there. Also I didn't leave until July 1st. So it would have been a little later in the summer. But I felt plenty warm each night with thermals on under it each night. Weighs about 19 oz. So I'd assume that's probably less than what any bag you'd use.

Blissful
05-26-2010, 10:26
Okay, at what point to you trade out for a summer bag? Or do you not need a summer one when you go SOBO.

I'm not with my start of July 1. I'm going 25 degree then 15 for the later fall (after Sept). I also always carry my silk liner too, just in case.

The Unknown Hiker
05-28-2010, 13:49
My prior two SOBOs I started in mid-July. Both times I carried a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32-degree bag. Weighs around 1.5 pounds of 800 fill down. It kept me warm the majority of time (enough to count).

Some folks are critical of this bag because of it's 3/4 length zipper. But if it is warm enough I just put my feet in the toe box and use the unzipped bag as a blanket. But, yes, it would be nice to have a full-length zipper that allows venting down there.