PDA

View Full Version : Gram Weenie Pro & 10 cm Imusa Mug

STICK
05-18-2010, 21:06
So I ordered the Gram Weenie Pro stove to use with my narrow diameter 700 ml Ti pot. I initially ordered the White Box SOLO to use with this, but I obviously did not read up good enough, and the Solo's diameter ended up being to large to work with the pot. So, I ordered the GWP to use with my pot.

The stoves are available either by itself, or as kits which include the windscreen, a heat reflector and a fuel bottle, then you can choose whether you want a mug or a fire steel with it. I chose the 10 cm Imusa mug. It is listed at 2.4 oz, so I figured it would be a good light-weight option mug for when I carry my new kettle. I don't plan on taking the mug with me when I carry my Ti pot since I will pull double duty with the Ti pot as cook pot mug. However, the mug also works great with the stoves for a pretty light-weight set-up.

Anyway, I wrote up some initial thoughts on the stove and the mug, and made a video to go with it, which is here:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

STICK
05-19-2010, 15:42
This morning I decided to have a cup of coffee. So, I decided to take my kettle and WBS outside to boil a little water and serve up the coffee in the Imusa mug. Now I knew that the mug got hot from using on the stove to actually boil the water in, but I did not realize how hot the mug would become by simply pouring hot water into it. Within seconds the handle was too hot to hold the mug. I let it set for a few minutes and finally decided to wrap a paper towel around the handle, and then proved my other speculation: it was too hot to sip from. Long story short, I poured the coffee in a regular coffee cup.

This made me think of the HOT Lips I posted about the other day. I am really wondering if they would work, so next time I am out I will pick up some to at least try out. (And hey, if they don't work I could donate them.) I am also wondering about using some string to wrap the handle in to maybe cut the temperature down on the handle. Has anyone done this, or anything else like it? I know I can use a hanky, and this would be the lightest option though. Also, if I used string I would have to be careful using it with a stove, or the handle may go up in flames! http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

moytoy
05-19-2010, 17:53
I used some carbon felt and high temp glue that I had around from other projects. Use something fire proof. Fiberglass will work.

STICK
05-20-2010, 11:21
Where do you get carbon felt? And would the JB weld work for something like that?