PDA

View Full Version : Posting agreement or Disagreement - What are you thinking?

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 21:41
So we all like to agree with each other in a big way, Just like we don't like being told NO by our parents. So when something is written its on another plane vs spoken. We can tear it apart when its written. When you write something from the heart to help someone here on WB and someone disagrees with you... How do you handle it? What do you do differently. Why would the opposite posistion be off the wall?

Just thoughts folks.... In fact Why do some posts get a rise out of you?

Seeker
05-18-2010, 22:42
i only post twice in a thread if i need to clarify something, forgot something, or am REALLY bored. i try to answer the question, and that's all. if someone disagrees, so be it. that's their hike, not mine. i find that most threads are answered within the first 10-15 posts. after that, i find most of them are repetitious, and i usually don't bother posting if it's past that point, because i'll just be repeating something someone else said.

some people do like argue, or just 'stir the pot' and watch others argue. i seldom defend myself, as most can see what's happening and it's just not worth the effort... i have tv to watch, gear to mend, a canoe to maintain, paddles that need fixing, a dog and two cats that need attention, and a porch swing that needs sitting in. i come here for information, to give a little if i can, and ignore the trolls.

oh, and there's that wonderful 'ignore' button... love it... keeps certain folks from 'getting a rise'.

as to why some people get bent out of shape or defensive, i think it's because they're either needy anyway, or don't have tv to watch, gear to mend, etc... :D

Mountain Wildman
05-18-2010, 22:45
I have been thinking the exact same thing for the past two days, I don't know if maybe I don't put my thoughts into words properly or there are just miserable people out there that want others to be miserable with them, I try on every one of my posts to be very diplomatic and I don't recall ever insulting anyone whether directly or indirectly unless insulted first, But it seems to happen none the less, I try not to take it to heart but sometimes can't help it. Sometimes posts are indirect and I am not sure if it is me being reffered to, In that case I just let it go, After all it's not all about me. If an insult is directed at me through quoting one of my posts, I usually will respond in the like. I don't like being insulted, Who does? But I also try not to stoop to someone elses level by insulting back unless it really stings. I figure, What can you do? Not everybody has the same opinion, And I totally respect that. But direct verbal assaults, That's a different story. I am not the biggest, badest, roughest, toughest man alive but if insulted face to face, I invite the person to step outside and resolve it like men, I treat people with respect and expect the same in return.

kayak karl
05-18-2010, 23:06
This is WHITE BLAZE,
You don't need to be right
You don't need to know what your talking about
You need not ever used the gear, been there, or even left your chair
You don't need so show respect
You don't need to back up your opinion (just post 3 times that makes it fact)
And if you have over 3000 posts you can say what you want, you earned it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Just Jeff
05-18-2010, 23:10
I think it's much easier for people to insult, and to respond, from the anonymity of a keyboard. What's funny is that means the people who get insulted put enough value of the opinion of the person who insulted them to actually get mad about it! People who they've probably never met, probably never will, and will probably never have any impact whatsoever on their lives beyond a few internet posts. Seriously? Generally not even worth responding to, IMO, b/c I don't value their opinions enough to get riled up.

That's why I left WB so long ago. It seems to be much more respectful than it used to be. Or maybe it's just the threads I choose to read here now and I'm not seeing the rest. But I'm enjoying WB again. :D

Lone Wolf
05-18-2010, 23:13
huh........?:confused:

DapperD
05-18-2010, 23:32
So we all like to agree with each other in a big way, Just like we don't like being told NO by our parents. So when something is written its on another plane vs spoken. We can tear it apart when its written. When you write something from the heart to help someone here on WB and someone disagrees with you... How do you handle it? What do you do differently. Why would the opposite posistion be off the wall?

Just thoughts folks.... In fact Why do some posts get a rise out of you?If I happen to read a post, and I feel it flys in the face of conventional wisdom, then that will usually cause me to want to respond to it, and to present my opinion of it. It's human nature that we basically want people to read and agree with our thoughts and opinions on different subjects and matters, and natural to feel disappointed when others don't. There are also times all of us think things are a certain way, and happen to be wrong in our assumptions. The fact of the matter is if one agrees to the rules of the forum, then one hopefully will choose to remain civil wether they are in agreement or disagreement with other members. It also gets easier to do this as one gets older, in my opinion, due to something called maturity.

modiyooch
05-19-2010, 07:23
This is WHITE BLAZE,
I disagree with this when I see meaningless, off topic replies inserted into flowing threads from members with high post counts.

papa john
05-19-2010, 07:29
I believe Kayak Karl was using a bit of sarcasm there.

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 07:32
I disagree with this when I see meaningless, off topic replies inserted into flowing threads from members with high post counts.

Who is to say what is meaningless? All the voices in my head agree with me.

Seriously, expect to get flamed for any post, meaningless or not. I started a thread about one of my pics being the Weather Channel's pic of the day and right away I got flamed for being a WC fan.

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 07:35
huh........?:confused:

Why are you being inflammatory? (Insert big green smiley here.)

warraghiyagey
05-19-2010, 07:36
Boobs. . . .

Who is to say what is meaningless? All the voices in my head agree with me.

Same here. . . :)

modiyooch
05-19-2010, 07:39
QUOTE=papa john;1014522]I believe Kayak Karl was using a bit of sarcasm there.[/QUOTE]
missed it, lack of coffee. I guess that's could be part of the problem.

Deadeye
05-19-2010, 08:32
that is... I think I disagree?

Blissful
05-19-2010, 10:35

If I said what posts get a rise out of me and why, then that itself would stir up other posts to the contrary.

So it remains unspoken. :)

Best thing on WB, esp when posting, don't read follow-ups to your post, esp if they are likely to be controversial or hot button. I've been able to stay on here following that rule.

max patch
05-19-2010, 10:45
This is WHITE BLAZE,
You don't need to be right
You don't need to know what your talking about
You need not ever used the gear, been there, or even left your chair
You don't need so show respect
You don't need to back up your opinion (just post 3 times that makes it fact)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I'd like to disagree :) with the above post but I can't. Its the truth.

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 12:29
Oh ... I thought it said what are you drinking?

Deadeye ... Let me take you down cuz I'm going to Strawberry Fields.

Heater
05-19-2010, 12:38
missed it, lack of coffee. I guess that's could be part of the problem.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. :D

The Weasel
05-19-2010, 13:29
Just for reference, this is one of the very first posts on WhiteBlaze, from 2002, from the guy ("EasyHiker") who created WhiteBlaze. While times (and policies) may have changed, it's worth remembering:

"this forum has no rules or censorship and nothing is to stupid. I designed this site to be that way and I hope the new owners respect the tradition that has gone on here and keep it that way.

Theres tons of information on this forum and as you could probably see its not the same old people commenting all the time."

"Moderation" now exists, but I think even the strictest moderator keeps this essential concept in mind.

TW

Monkeyboy
05-19-2010, 13:33
Sitting back with popcorn to watch the fun begin......

Deadeye
05-19-2010, 13:55
Oh ... I thought it said what are you drinking?

Deadeye ... Let me take you down cuz I'm going to Strawberry Fields.

Finally somebody understands me!

Heater
05-19-2010, 14:14
Just for reference, this is one of the very first posts on WhiteBlaze, from 2002, from the guy ("EasyHiker") who created WhiteBlaze. While times (and policies) may have changed, it's worth remembering:
"this forum has no rules or censorship and nothing is to stupid. I designed this site to be that way and I hope the new owners respect the tradition that has gone on here and keep it that way.

Theres tons of information on this forum and as you could probably see its not the same old people commenting all the time."

"Moderation" now exists, but I think even the strictest moderator keeps this essential concept in mind.

TW

Weasy. Did you not threaten to sue one of the members of this site unless he retracted a statement (joking around) telling you to "put your crack pipe down"?
(he did retract. Congrats, weasy :rolleyes:)

Sickening! :mad:

The Weasel
05-19-2010, 16:40
Well, depending on how much one looks back accurately at that whole situation, it basically proves what Easy said: "Nothing is to [sic] stupid." And, as all here who might care surely know by now, I don't make the rules here, so whatever was done back then certainly shows that censorship wasn't going on by WhiteBlaze. People have told me I've made mistakes, and now and then I've agreed and withdrawn things. So have others. So yeah, I kind of yearn for those days, in many ways. But, as I noted earlier, those have passed, in large part. What was said about me then might not be allowed now - I'm not in charge, so I neither know nor care - and what I said might not, either.

But I guess Austexs' post shows that much of the oldtime freedom remains; he can flame me and it remains posted, and I don't hold that against him, even if that would matter. I don't even mind him calling me "Weasy." Seems to me, these days, that what people do when flames break out speaks more about them than about their target. So Austexs can say, and do, as he wishes, and I wish him well in doing so.

TW

max patch
05-19-2010, 19:43
But I guess Austexs' post shows that much of the oldtime freedom remains; he can flame me and it remains posted, and I don't hold that against him, even if that would matter.

Where did Austex "flame" you? If my memory serves correct -- I got a PM from the prospective defendent when this all went down -- then Austex is restating the facts as they were reported to me at the time. It ain't a flame if its the truth.

Welcome back.

Tin Man
05-19-2010, 20:05

who's hand is supporting you mr. owl?

Egads
05-19-2010, 20:49

Who let you in here? Thought your aze was banned :D

warraghiyagey
05-19-2010, 21:01
:p:D

But I guess Austexs' post shows that much of the oldtime freedom remains; he can flame me and it remains posted, and I don't hold that against him, even if that would matter. I don't even mind him calling me "Weasy." Seems to me, these days, that what people do when flames break out speaks more about them than about their target. So Austexs can say, and do, as he wishes, and I wish him well in doing so.

TW
So you won't be sueing Astex then? . . . that's cool because. . .

Where did Austex "flame" you? If my memory serves correct -- I got a PM from the prospective defendent when this all went down -- then Austex is restating the facts as they were reported to me at the time. It ain't a flame if its the truth.

Welcome back.

. . . you seem to have gone to the same school as BJack at denying the actual truth. . . . :D . . . . please don't sue me, my tent is all I have and cardboard boxs are cumbersome on the trail . . . . :p

Monkeyboy
05-19-2010, 22:17
Who let you in here? Thought your aze was banned :D

Don't believe everything that you breathe, got a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve, so shave your face with some mace in the dark, saving all your food stamps and burning down the trailer park.

Yo, cut it.

:banana

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 22:49

"this forum has no rules or censorship and nothing is to stupid.

TW

Thankyou from the head moron.

I sense batman or some other dark force is out to punish anybody who dared to offend him/her on WB (especially if their pork chops were not prepared to their proper satisfaction).

Now Mr. Owl ... what were we drinking?

warraghiyagey
05-19-2010, 22:50
Thankyou from the head moron.

I sense batman or some other dark force is out to punish anybody who dared to offend him/her on WB (especially if their pork chops were not prepared to their proper satisfaction).

Now Mr. Owl ... what were we drinking?
Undrinkium?? . . . . :sun:sun

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 22:52
That's the spirit!

Just Jeff
05-19-2010, 23:06
That's why I left WB so long ago. It seems to be much more respectful than it used to be. Or maybe it's just the threads I choose to read here now and I'm not seeing the rest. But I'm enjoying WB again. :D

Yep. It was the second one. Not so much fun already.

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 23:54
My favorite thread is the What's a Wargy Thread or something like that.

Too bad not so much the Other thread. It never achieved that height and glory as the Warghy's.

This was a shameless plug for you to post (if you haven't 100s of times already) on the No Such Thing As A Whargy/(who started that thread. I'd link it here if I knew how).

warraghiyagey
05-19-2010, 23:57
It's just a silly fun thread. . . . :sun:sun

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34922&highlight=thing+Warraghiyagey

Gray Blazer
05-19-2010, 23:59
Wharrgy made me say that.

warraghiyagey
05-20-2010, 00:11
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs51/300W/f/2009/317/7/b/Perun__the_thunder_god_by_DusanMarkovic.jpg

Jonnycat
05-20-2010, 08:39
It's actually pretty simple. Since I am usually right, anyone who disagrees with me is naturally wrong. :D

kayak karl
05-20-2010, 09:39
It's just a silly fun thread. . . . :sun:sun

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34922&highlight=thing+Warraghiyagey

i only get...
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 104857600 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 60635 bytes) in /home/atphotos/public_html/forum/showthread.php on line 1275 :mad:

sbhikes
05-20-2010, 09:53
Most of the posts in this topic just give me a blank stare. What?? What on Earth are they talking about?

Gray Blazer
05-20-2010, 10:20
Most of the posts in this topic just give me a blank stare. What?? What on Earth are they talking about?

Well, it's hard to get a rise out of you with every post. Heck, even Hank Aaron didn't hit it out of the park every time.

Dogwood
05-20-2010, 14:28
Uh, I think what is being discussed is tolerance. That includes the ability to actively listen to, respect, and accept, without necessarily having to adapt to those differences, that not everyone, maybe nobody else in fact, has the same opinions, beliefs, thoughts, habits. values, traits, etc than you, and doing it without argument, stress, raising voices, insults, hatred, conflict, bitterness, etc. Can be very rare to find!

weary
05-20-2010, 19:51
Do you suppose that may be because you're from California, the unrational state?

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2010, 20:25
If I said what posts get a rise out of me and why, then that itself would stir up other posts to the contrary.

So it remains unspoken. :)

Best thing on WB, esp when posting, don't read follow-ups to your post, esp if they are likely to be controversial or hot button. I've been able to stay on here following that rule.

I got halfway thru the page and was thinking 2 things... One - I did this thinking this could go south in a very bad way. Two Someone would come away with a redeeming value gold nugget of wisdom....

Thanks for the nugget of wisdom.:cool: But I like reading all the follow up posts.

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2010, 20:44
who's hand is supporting you mr. owl?

My faith in God.

Tin Man
05-20-2010, 20:59
chrome://click2call/content/FONcall_icon.png[/IMG] (javascript:void(1))
Call with FONcall™
1015132 (javascript:void(1))
Connecting...

Connected!

Error: could not place call

bug? (javascript:void(1))

]My faith in God.

looks more like a rosy palm :eek:

The Weasel
05-20-2010, 21:03
Uh, I think what is being discussed is tolerance. That includes the ability to actively listen to, respect, and accept, without necessarily having to adapt to those differences, that not everyone, maybe nobody else in fact, has the same opinions, beliefs, thoughts, habits. values, traits, etc than you, and doing it without argument, stress, raising voices, insults, hatred, conflict, bitterness, etc. Can be very rare to find!

Very well put, and a very good expression of what I'll try to be. Others will, or won't, as they wish, but that's their call, not mine. I can affect myself but, pending obtaining nuclear weapons, not many others. Maybe not even then.

TW

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2010, 21:04
Not sure where you are going with this TM, How about answering the original question... Maybe we might gain a better understanding from your thoughts.

Yea Weasel I liked that post too.

the goat
05-21-2010, 09:09
Weasy. Did you not threaten to sue one of the members of this site unless he retracted a statement (joking around) telling you to "put your crack pipe down"?
(he did retract. Congrats, weasy :rolleyes:)

Sickening! :mad:

Well, depending on how much one looks back accurately at that whole situation, it basically proves what Easy said: "Nothing is to [sic] stupid." And, as all here who might care surely know by now, I don't make the rules here, so whatever was done back then certainly shows that censorship wasn't going on by WhiteBlaze. People have told me I've made mistakes, and now and then I've agreed and withdrawn things. So have others. So yeah, I kind of yearn for those days, in many ways. But, as I noted earlier, those have passed, in large part. What was said about me then might not be allowed now - I'm not in charge, so I neither know nor care - and what I said might not, either.

i see no flame here?

btw, that was a hilarious back & forth; i would have loved to see it go to court!!!:D

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2010, 19:33
Its good to see how people work things out in the impersonal world of the blog.