PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Trekking Poles?

SwingLow
05-18-2010, 21:45
I have considered possibly getting the cheap Walmart poles and just using gloves with them, but I have also looked at the $100 Lekki poles. I just really don't want to spend that much on a metal stick unless someone can convince me otherwise. What brand/type does everyone like?

FritztheCat
05-18-2010, 21:56
I started with the $14 pair of Swiss Gear from Walmart. I wanted to make sure I liked or needed the poles. I found I really liked them and they helped me on up and downhills but I didn't like the twist locks or the shock absorber in the Walmart poles. So, after a few months of using them, I splurged and got Black Diamond poles.

These come with a thumb lock and no shock absorber. I didn't like the absorber because it always felt to me like the poles were sinking in the ground. Anyway, the Black Diamond poles I got have cork handles and just below them on the pole is another grip for moving your hands down to when you are going uphill. I got mine from REI for about a hundred bucks.

That's a lot of money but in my opinion, it was worth it. The poles have saved me from falling several times. I guess the best advice I could give would be to spend a little at Walmart and see if the poles work for you. You may find as I did that you'll want to upgrade or you may be happy with the pair from Walmart.

moytoy
05-18-2010, 22:12
I have at least 10 pairs of poles. All made from wood. Stronger than aluminum and almost as light. I cut saplings longer than I need because they will wear down a bit. But I like them longer so I can slide my hands up and down the pole to adjust the length as needed (on the fly).

Shutterbug
05-18-2010, 22:13
I have considered possibly getting the cheap Walmart poles and just using gloves with them, but I have also looked at the $100 Lekki poles. I just really don't want to spend that much on a metal stick unless someone can convince me otherwise. What brand/type does everyone like?

When I first started using poles, I felt just like you. I went through several sets of Swiss-Gear poles before I decided to step up.

About three years ago, I bought Black Diamond poles. I have enjoyed the extra strength. I have been in several situations that would have bent the Swiss-Gear poles. The Black Diamond poles are still as good as new.

Phreak
05-18-2010, 22:24
Leki Carbon... worth the money IMO.

Mountain Wildman
05-18-2010, 22:30
I had never even considered using poles, I thought they were goofy and suited for skiing and that's it, But after reading numerous Trail Journals and many reviews I bought a pair of Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles, Sunny Sports.com sells them for $72.95
http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/BKDTREC.html
I admit that I have not used them yet due to a back injury but I'm finally at the point where I can get out and hike.
I read from one journal where the guy said many hikers start out without them on their Thru's but finish with a pair. Every comment I read said the same thing basically, "Now that I've tried them, I'll never hike without them".
But like any piece of gear, It is your choice, No poles, Sticks or Trekking Poles.
I used a five foot heavy hickory staff I bought at a small outdoor store for over 20 years.
I will be using my B.D. Poles from now on.
Still keeping my staff though I may never use it again.

SunnyWalker
05-18-2010, 23:18
I have a set of the Swiss Poles and so far they have been just fine. I am going to look at some Salvation Army types stores. The other day I saw some ski poles that would work. They were the carbon type (carbon? you know what I mean). They were only $3.00

Bear Cables
05-19-2010, 00:01
I have used Black Diamond and now use Lekki. Like the lighter wt of the Lekki and kept the BDiamond for when my husband hikes with me. You can get a good price on poles at Sierra Trading Post . I think my sister got a pair of Komperdell for around 50.00

SerenitySeeker
05-19-2010, 00:13
I was making my own wooden poles because I never felt safe with the locking ones, I don't want them to fail at crucial moments, however if you are saying they will hold up a 6 foot 250 pound man then I think I would rather go with the lekki or the bdiamond or komperdell, i havent looked at any of them then...the walmart ones are not sold in a set so at 30 on a pair for them and i find them weak looking for a larger person, i would definately prefer the 72 dollar bdiamond set at sunnysports. i have time to check out the used stores though and might find a pair there.

skinewmexico
05-19-2010, 00:18
Started with some cheap ones off Ebay. Passed them down to my son, bought some Lekis. I have to admit I only bought the Lekis because I can get them on a pro form. Stupid expensive otherwise. Watch SAC, you can get a good deal. Poles have helped my knees tremendously.

Graywolf
05-19-2010, 00:21
Just my .02 cents... I bought a pair of Alpines from Sports Authority for $20.. I used them las year and they are still going strong.. They are the twist lock kind, but why do I need to change something that still works??never trie dthe Walmart poles, but never will. Dont trust walmart brand I guess.

One thing i didnt like about these poles was that when I pulled them out, unless i stopped, they came all the way out..Oppps.... But then I looked at the Black Diamond poles, guess what, They came out too... So why would I pay $100 for somethiing Ithat works the same as my $20 ones..:-? I must admit, the BD's look nice, but hey, if it aint broke, why change it???

Graywolf

Rocket Jones
05-19-2010, 06:17
I traded in my staff for a pair of Pacer Poles and never looked back. Expensive (thanks Santa!), but insanely comfortable.

blackfootmigrator
05-19-2010, 06:25
Find a nice oak stick and cut to length !

moytoy
05-19-2010, 06:41
I was making my own wooden poles because I never felt safe with the locking ones, I don't want them to fail at crucial moments, however if you are saying they will hold up a 6 foot 250 pound man then I think I would rather go with the lekki or the bdiamond or komperdell, i havent looked at any of them then...the walmart ones are not sold in a set so at 30 on a pair for them and i find them weak looking for a larger person, i would definately prefer the 72 dollar bdiamond set at sunnysports. i have time to check out the used stores though and might find a pair there.

Wood....ounce for ounce is stronger than steel or aluminum. And is very resilient.

Egads
05-19-2010, 07:03
Gossamer Gear CF poles are the way to go

Yukon
05-19-2010, 07:07
Keep and eye on www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com) , they regularly have $139 LEKI's for $69...

Maddog
05-19-2010, 07:25
Leki Carbon... worth the money IMO.

+1 on the leki carbon...they have saved me dozens of times so far on my thru-hike! maddog

Teeah3612
05-19-2010, 08:22
I bought an inexpensive pair from Sportsman Guide a year ago and they have held up well. I slipped on wet leaves last fall and one of them caught between a root and a tree and supported my entire weight without bending. Just about pulled my arm out of socket, but they kept me from sliding over the hill. I finally managed to get back to my feet after I quit giggling.

Manwich
05-19-2010, 08:31
Wood....ounce for ounce is stronger than steel or aluminum. And is very resilient.

Factually incorrect. Ounce for ounce, they're negligibly the same.

moytoy
05-19-2010, 08:38
If your facts are correct, then it just goes to prove you can't believe everything you read. I personally like the feel of wood in my hand over plastic or rubber handles. Wood is plenty strong was my point. But I digress, I will never get much support on WB for wood poles. I can live with that.

Lyle
05-19-2010, 08:56
Do yourself a huge favor, check out and buy PacerPoles. The only trekking poles that are truly different and MUCH improved over traditional poles. Well worth the cost in both stability and comfort - keeps your hand in a much more natural position.

http://www.pacerpole.com/index.html

Been using them for about 6 years now, will not go back to traditional.

Lyle
05-19-2010, 08:58
Clarifying: PacerPoles are well worth the increased cost for the increased stability and comfort. Upon re-reading, my statement above wasn't completely clear.

sizemj
05-19-2010, 09:15
I bought two of these from wal-mart and they have been pretty good for cheap poles. I like the thumb locks versus the twist lock

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Single-Trekking-Pole-With-Camlock/10928566

flemdawg1
05-19-2010, 10:37
I bought two of these from wal-mart and they have been pretty good for cheap poles. I like the thumb locks versus the twist lock

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Single-Trekking-Pole-With-Camlock/10928566

I own a pair of these myself and like them alot. I did break one in PA, but for $13 I didn't cry too much over it. Also be sure you have a philips screw driver on your knife/multitiool, as the cams do need tightning occasionally.

Mountain Wildman
05-19-2010, 16:10
Leki Thermolite Trekking Poles on Steep and Cheap right now for $59.97

The Weasel
05-19-2010, 16:33
Go to a used sports equipment store, craigslist or somes winter sports exchanges. Get a pair of XC poles. Remove the baskets (if you wish). Prices range from free to $10 for excellent poles. No, they aren't adjustable. But they are light and work just fine.

TW