PDA

View Full Version : My new webpage

chris
10-27-2004, 13:48
I've got a new webpage and I thought I'd post it in this forum because it contains information right now about other trails. My PCT pages have made the move and I have some of the GDT information on line as well. I should have more of it up over the course of the next two months. The address is:

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/

MisterSweetie
10-27-2004, 16:08
Well I'll be dang... I'd read your PCT journal a while back, and never put the chris here together with that journal... I enjoyed reading your journal very much!

chris
10-27-2004, 18:38
Thanks. I put some work into it. The pics from the GDT are lightyears better than the PCT ones.

White Oak
10-27-2004, 19:54
Glad you posted the Great Divide info. As the AT and other trails get more and more crowed, this trail will be a refuge.

sierraDoug
10-29-2004, 17:10
Chris,
I've been reading your PCT journal this week and gotten through about half of it so far. On another thread you sounded like you didn't know how long it would be on your website. How about at least another week so I can finish reading it? :jump It's great to read while I sit here in my armchair thinking about possible hikes next summer. You obviously put a lot of work into it. Impressive. BTW, thanks for the email responses about gear and the JMT. I may have more questions or news in the coming weeks. I can't imagine hiking 20 to 30 miles a day. If you didn't have a goal and a deadline, what's the rush? I like to soak up the sights and relax and enjoy myself out there some. And I don't think I'd ever have the stamina and energy for it.

Also, did you ever figure out how to live a life of hiking in the beautiful wilds and not have to work? If so, I bet everyone here would love to hear about it. :)

chris
10-29-2004, 19:06
The old web page (mypage.iu.edu/~chwillett) will be around for, well, I don't know. However, all the journals (exact duplicates) are on my new web page (www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett), which will be around for a while.

In terms of miles per day, I wasn't in a rush or on a deadline (strictly speaking). However, I liked being out all the time. Why sit in camp when there is so much good stuff down the trail? Why stop walking at 5 when I could get another 3 good hours of trail life? These were things that I liked, but they might not be appropriate for everyone. On the AT, I just didn't want to do it and so usually stopped earlier. That is, hiking another two hours didn't really bring me much happiness, so I didn't hike as long. Also, I was in pretty good shape, so that on many days I wasn't whipped at the end. Now, there were days when I finished in a death march, but that was usually when I was striving for some external goal (get to town, get over another pass, etc). My goal was to enjoy myself, and that was what I tried (and succeeded) to fulfill.

In terms of occupations, I'm close now. I have a contract for, roughly, 150 days per year of work (three quarters of course work). I like teaching, so this isn't bad. On the weekends, I've got easy access to world class areas. And, I truly do mean world class. I've got about 25 days off, in a row, in winter time. I've got another 3 months in the summer. So, while I have to work in town, I also have a lot of time off, a good area in which to play (or, shall I say, live), have a stable job with benefits, and make enough to support my habits and desires. If I could increase my summer time to 6 months, I'd do it. For now, though, I've made a step.

sierraDoug
10-30-2004, 22:12
In terms of occupations, I'm close now. I have a contract for, roughly, 150 days per year of work (three quarters of course work). I like teaching, so this isn't bad. On the weekends, I've got easy access to world class areas. And, I truly do mean world class. I've got about 25 days off, in a row, in winter time. I've got another 3 months in the summer. So, while I have to work in town, I also have a lot of time off, a good area in which to play (or, shall I say, live), have a stable job with benefits, and make enough to support my habits and desires. If I could increase my summer time to 6 months, I'd do it. For now, though, I've made a step.

I'm green with envy. Sounds like a well designed life. Like the hot set-up. Glad to hear you didn't have to give up long hikes.

chris
10-31-2004, 16:41
For those of you who are interested, the second leg of my GDT journals are up. This takes me from Blairemore up to just before the southern end of Banff in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park.