PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a seam hole in TT Moment

Praha4
05-19-2010, 15:38
I have a new Tarptent Moment, with one small issue. There is a small hole at the top of the bugnet zipper seam... where the zipper seam joins to the silnylon roof fabric. It wasn't sealed when the tarptent was fabricated, and I just recently noticed it. This spot is close to the top of the outter flap zipper seam.

The bugnet nylon fabric zipper-seam needs to be joined/sealed to close this small hole (about size of tip of pinky finger). Henry Shires is hiking across Scotland, and unavailable for questions for a few more weeks.

my question is:

what product/method would be best to seal this small hole?

a) Mcnet Seamgrip
b) Mcnet Silnet
c) GE Silicone II sealer
d) other

any advice appreciated,
thanks

LIhikers
05-19-2010, 16:49
If it were me I'd probably wait until I could consult with Henry Shires unless the structural integrety of the tent was in jepordy.

garlic08
05-19-2010, 19:23
If you can somehow include a good photo, that might help. And try to PM Franco here on WB for personal attention from someone who really knows Tarptents. Though he may be out hiking, too.

Is this a gap in the bug protection only? Is the rain canopy affected at all?

Do you need to use the shelter before Henry gets back?

Would a few stitches solve the problem?

I'd be very reluctant to sew and/or apply sealant to something that Henry can fix at the shop, if you can afford to wait.

Too bad this happened. I've bought four different Tarptent products over the last seven years, and have had initial problems with two of them. I had very good service getting replacements and the replacements have outlasted anything I've ever used. Once you get it fixed, you should have a great shelter.

Praha4
05-20-2010, 00:06
garlic08:

I think a few stiches and some Seam sealer will do the trick... there is no problem with the silnylon fly fabric. The "hole" is at the top of the bugnet zipper...where the zipper meets the roof of the traptent.... there is a small gap in the stitching in the nylon 3/4" webbing that encases the zipper. Large enuff for small bugs to get inside the tent.

skinewmexico
05-20-2010, 07:52
I'm sure Henry will replace it when he gets back if you want. Otherwise, stitch it up and seal it like you'd seal the rest of the tent.