PDA

View Full Version : Kettle and WBS set-up video

STICK
05-19-2010, 16:25
So, not much new to add here on the GSI Kettle from my previous write up about it, but I did just want to add a video showing the stuff sack that I made to use with the kettle, and show some of the stuff I will use inside it, and how well it packs up. So, hope you enjoy the video.

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

STICK
05-20-2010, 17:06
So last night I decided to record some boil times using my GSI kettle with my Original WBS using different amounts of fuel (HEET) as well as with and without the windscreen inside a controlled environment. I also did a boil time with the GSI kettle and my Optimus Crux stove (without a windscreen). Here they are:

Each test was completed using 2 cups of cold tap water straight out of the faucet. (I do not have an exact temperature, but it did indeed feel cold.)

#1: GSI Kettle with Optimus Crux Stove & no windscreen. I used a 4 oz Jetboil fuel canister that had previously been used, but not much out of the canister. The canister weighed 5.1 oz (145 g) before boiling. This stove brought the 2 cups of water to a full rolling boil in 1 minute and 55 seconds. The stove was turned up half way. After the boil, the fuel canister weighed 4.8 oz (138 g). So 2 minutes and 0.3 oz (7 g) for a boil is pretty sweet, and efficient.

#2: GSI Kettle with the Original White Box Stove & heat reflector. No windscreen was used with this test. I used 1/2 oz of HEET (yellow bottle), and a few drops in the primer pan to help the stove blossom faster.
Stove Blossomed: 23 seconds
Kettle placed on stove: 40 seconds
Begin Boil: Did not begin to boil.
Full Rolling Boil: Did not come to a boil.
Stove Burn Out: 5 minutes & 4 seconds.

#3: GSI Kettle with the Original White Box Stove, heat reflector and the windscreen was used with this test. I used 1/2 oz of HEET (yellow bottle), and a few drops in the primer pan to help the stove blossom faster.

Kettle placed on stove: 37 seconds
Begin Boil: 5 minutes & 27 seconds.
Full Rolling Boil: Did not achieve a full rolling boil.
Stove Burn Out: 6 minutes & 18 seconds.

#4: GSI Kettle with the Original White Box Stove, heat reflector and the windscreen was used with this test. I used 3/4 oz of HEET (yellow bottle), and a few drops in the primer pan to help the stove blossom faster.

Kettle placed on stove: 38 seconds
Begin Boil: 5 minutes & 14 seconds.
Full Rolling Boil: 6 minutes & 8 seconds.
Stove Burn Out: 8 minutes & 48 seconds.

Of course this was in a controlled enviornment, free from any wind and in a room about 68 - 70* F. However, the canister stove was just fast & efficient. For long trips, this would be an excellent set up.

As for the WBS, even in a controlled environment the windscreen made a difference. Without the windscreen, 1/2 an oz did not even bring the 2 cups of water to a boil. With the windscreen, using the same amount of fuel and water, the WBS efficiency was increased 2 ways. 1. It actually retained more heat and brought the water to a boil, and 2. It increased the overall burn time.

What is also interesting is that while the 1/2 oz of fuel did in fact bring the 2 cups of water to a boil just by adding the windscreen, by the time the water was at a boil, the fuel was getting low and the flame was dying down. Because of this, the water never actually reached a full rolling boil.

However, when I added just a little more fuel (3/4 oz) and kept the windscreen and heat reflector in place there was enough to bring the water to a minimal boil, and there was still enough fuel to burn hot enough long enough to continue heating the water, bringing the water to a full rolling boil. It even maintained that full boil for about 2 1/2 minutes.

So, 5-6 minutes for a good boil using the White Box alcohol stove. While it is not < 2 minutes, it is still not a long time. I guess it just depends on how hungry you really are!

I will be happy to carry this stove with me. I have 3 trips I am going to do by the end of June (each of them lasting 3 days), and I will bring this exact set-up for each one.