PDA

View Full Version : Weather and scenery in Southern states

Mr Patti
05-19-2010, 19:42
I plan on leaving maine at the end of august. I'm from northern NH and real tough when it comes to cold since I grew up here. I'm curious what the southern states Virginia etc are like in December and January. What's the average temperature? What's the scenery like, is their still leaves on the trees? Sorry if I sound like an idiot but the only time I've been south of New york was in the summer months.

Blissful
05-19-2010, 19:58
Leaves are gone here by Nov. in VA in lowlands. Temps during the day can range from around freezing to 50's. Great time of year to hike SNP in Jan / Feb, except this year when we had 5 1/2 feet of snow (which is extremely rare).

M1 Thumb
05-19-2010, 20:05
Mr. Patti,

The leaves on deciduous trees will long be gone by December. The weather is a tougher call. You can probably find tables with average temps and precip for the areas you are going through but they are just averages and glaze over the extremes. My biggest concern would be getting stuck at elevation in heavy snow and frigid temps.

Mr Patti
05-19-2010, 22:48
Yeah I'm more concerned on wether or not I'll run into snow and if so how much.

modiyooch
05-19-2010, 23:22
Check out Tipi Walters trip reports from this winter in NC/TN. We had an extreme winter this year. He had 2-3 separate reports.

moytoy
05-20-2010, 04:31
On a clear day you can see for miles and miles. But be prepared for some cold dreary days as well. There is a reason they call them smoky mountains. I remember Thanksgiving dinner in Maryville Tenn. on the patio with temps at 70. I also remember lots of thanksgiving dinners indoors with temps outside in the 30's.

Rain Man
05-20-2010, 10:07
I plan on leaving maine at the end of august. I'm from northern NH and real tough when it comes to cold since I grew up here. I'm curious what the southern states Virginia etc are like in December and January.

From "Hiking the Appalachian Trail, Volume One," (Rodale Press) page 593, March 1, 1967, Jim Shattuck atop Sinking Creek Mountain, Virginia: "Lord, help me! Help me! I need Your help!" Unofficial nearby temps recorded at twenty seven degrees below zero and deep snow. A cold night for Mr. Shattuck.

And the Barefoot Sisters southbound volume recites that they literally believed some of their party might die in the Grayson Highlands. I think that was November, maybe December, in the bitter cold and snow drifts.

Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan