PDA

View Full Version : picture programs

stickat04
10-27-2004, 17:59
Whats your favorite program to clean up your pictures. I have about 6 cd's of disposal camera pictures from my 900 miles I got done this year. Also I want to invest in a camera for next years hike I wasnt happy with the disposal's quality.
My question is a 4 or a 5 mega pixel camera? Thanks
Stick

The Solemates
10-27-2004, 18:18
The Nikon Coolpix is a pretty good camera and weighs virtually nothing. It is also so compact it easily fits in your pocket. I would get the 3 Mpix one bc its only like $160. Thats really all ya need. Of course, it comes in higher resolution as well, up to $600 i think. I actually dont have one, but use one at work all the time.

Rocalousas
10-27-2004, 20:30
Weight is the primary factor for me with a trail camera. However I wouldn't spend $600 for a camera no matter how light and good it was. Looking for a good sub-$300 unit.

Footslogger
10-28-2004, 12:37
Weight is the primary factor for me with a trail camera. However I wouldn't spend $600 for a camera no matter how light and good it was. Looking for a good sub-$300 unit.Unless you are going to enlarge and print your shots you really don't need much over 2mpixels ...maybe 3 at the most. Aside from enlarged prints, your limiting factor will be the display medium. For instance, if you're going to e-mail shots to friends then more than 2 Mpixels is overkill.

That said, there are several good 2 - 3 Mpixel cameras out there and many are light and small. In 2003 I carried the Panasonic DMC L-20. It is a 2.1 Mpixel camera that runs on 2 AA sized batteries. I decided to go the rechargeable route and located a light (4oz) fast charger. I travelled with 2 batteries in the camera and 2 spares, which I kept charged. I could generally get from town to town or hostel to hostel before I needed to switch/charge batteries. I stashed a set of new rechargeables in my bounce box just in case my primary or back-up set failed during the hike.

As a side note regarding resolution, I printed several of my shots on 4 x 6" film and the picture quality was excellent. Anything larger than that and I believe you would start to see some degradation in image quality.

Oh yeah ...and the above camera cost me $199.

Hope that helps.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Dances with Mice
10-28-2004, 12:58
Whats your favorite program to clean up your pictures. I have about 6 cd's of disposal camera pictures from my 900 miles I got done this year. ...

I haven't tried many programs, so I can't compare or contrast different options, but I can recommend Adobe Photoshop.

Last night I was out taking pictures of the lunar eclipse, came back in and downloaded them, then quickly cut and pasted together a montage showing the progression of the eclipse (a poor man's multiple exposure). I hadn't done anything like that before, but it was simple enough to figger out.

The color correcting options and brightness/contrast adjustments of the software have saved quite a few photos from the digital Trash Bin.

kncats
10-28-2004, 13:01
Ditto the comments on going with a lower megapixel camera. Not only will you probably not need the higher resolution for most of what you do with the pictures (send via email, post on web pages, print 4X6, etc) using a digital camera at higher resolutions slows it down considerably while it saves the picture. I have a Nikon 4.3 megapixel and the increase in speed shooting at a lower resolution is significant.

If I were buying a camera specifically for hiking with I'd also go with one that takes "storebought" batteries instead of proprietary. Even if you carry a charger with you it's nice to know you can always pop in a couple of fresh AA's and be taking pictures again.

Percival
10-29-2004, 05:15
If I were buying a camera specifically for hiking with I'd also go with one that takes "storebought" batteries instead of proprietary.
Yup. the last thing you want is to be in some small town trying to find a proprietary battery.

Kerosene
10-29-2004, 12:14
I'm waiting for a 4 ounce, water resistant, 3 MP digicam with 3X optical zoom, 2" LCD screen, non-proprietary batteries that can handle 100 shots before replacement/recharge, large memory card, and superior color and light sensitivity, before I replace my 3.5 ounce, 39 exposure 800 ASA film disposable. The weight and moisture sensitivity seem to be the biggest issues, at least for cameras with optical zoom lenses. Frankly, I'd pay $600 for such a setup, since I'd use it for my regular camera also.

walkin' wally
10-29-2004, 13:12
Hi Dances with Mice,

Is there only one Adobe Photoshop product or are there lesser versions of the same program? Will a lesser version be okay for you are doing? I am looking to upgrade my D cam and program to process images.

Kerosene seems to have some good ideas of what would be a good trail camera

Thanks

Walkin Wally :sun

Dances with Mice
10-29-2004, 13:50
Hi Dances with Mice,

Is there only one Adobe Photoshop product or are there lesser versions of the same program? Will a lesser version be okay for you are doing? I am looking to upgrade my D cam and program to process images.

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/di_comp_chart.pdf

I have the 'Elements' package. The 'Album' contains the features I use most (resizing, cropping, color & brightness/contrast adjustments) at a reduced price.

gravityman
10-29-2004, 14:31
Yup. the last thing you want is to be in some small town trying to find a proprietary battery.

I disagree. We just bought an extra battery and used it for 3 weeks on the Long Trail as a test run. Absolutely not problems. You will always have a backup.

Pentax Optio-S. 6 oz with case, two batteries, recharger (although I modified the cord) and extra memory card. Pretty damn good if you ask me!

Gravity

attroll
10-29-2004, 23:31
I disagree. We just bought an extra battery and used it for 3 weeks on the Long Trail as a test run. Absolutely not problems. You will always have a backup.

Pentax Optio-S. 6 oz with case, two batteries, recharger (although I modified the cord) and extra memory card. Pretty damn good if you ask me!

Gravity
Sounds like a nice camera. How about posting some of those photos from the Long Trail in the gallery under OTHER LONG TRAILS so we can see the pictures and the quality. I am interested.

Kozmic Zian
10-30-2004, 01:19
Yea......Cameras.....Take a small resolution, lightweight, in a ziplock, digital camera.....Take a 128 or higher mb memory stick.....bounce another one in a box.....keep resolution high, so's to get good larger photos when you get home. Send the used memory stick home in the mail, get the wife, GF, whoever to download the stick and send it back. That way you always have one. I personally, use a Sony DSP-32. 199.00 at CompUSA. It downloads beautifully into my Desk Top PC using the Sony Photo hard-disc set up, or the Windows Picture Processor. HP also has a good one, if you use an HP Printer. The Sony System is the most advanced and ergonomic of any I've seen. The HP system allows all kinds of processing, and you can actually do a good bit of that type of stuff right in the camera, before you finalize the memory stick. Good Shooting. Now, that's my gun.....Take only pictures, leave only footprints. KZ@:p

Bloodroot
10-30-2004, 06:36

Gravity
Yes. I also have the Pentax Optio. I have been through a couple cameras (Nikon Coolpix and a Casio) in the 250-300 dollar range and this one stands out over them all. Small, light extremely durable and water resistant. Takes excellent pics and small movies.

attroll
10-30-2004, 08:52
What version of the Pentax Optio do you have? There are something like 10 different ones.

Bloodroot
10-30-2004, 09:07
Optio 43WR