PDA

View Full Version : Anybody order Erik the Black's maps?

Powder River
05-19-2010, 21:13
I did. They will ship out in June. From the samples of the PCT set I've seen, I hope they are pretty good. Has anybody used the PCT set or used the other available maps for the JMT?

Miner
05-20-2010, 00:34
I've used the PCT set for my hike last year. I carried all the guidebooks on the trail and for navigating and most planning purposes used Eric's Atlas along with Yogi's PCT Handbook pages. There are a few minor mistakes, but I was happy with it. The biggest complaint is the price. The next common complaint was the elevation profile missed a few things along the way.

I haven't seen the JMT version, but if its the same map pages out of the High Sierra sections of the PCT Atlas, if I was going to have to navigate in alot of snow (ie. early entry or a big snow year), I'd want the Tom Harrison JMT map set instead which gives you a larger picture of the peaks around you making it easier to navigate when there is no trail to follow. For normal summer use, Black's maps should be fine for any hiker.

tothetrail
05-20-2010, 13:17
Yes, I ordered it, eagerly awaiting shipment.

Connie
05-21-2010, 01:47
I got the PCT - Oregon State book. It is excellent. Really good.

Kanook
02-17-2011, 14:46
I received my JMT Atlas from Eric the Black after about 5 weeks. I live in Canada. The Atlas is excellent. The maps are the same scale as the Thompson John Muir Trail Mapbook, and the town maps are very usefull.

Suttree
02-18-2011, 01:34
The next common complaint was the elevation profile missed a few things along the way.

Note that this is an understatment. The elevation profile is a (slightly tweaked) graph of the information already presented in the list of waypoints on each page. It is *not* a representation of the actual elevation change you will experience between waypoints.

Since you have already purchased the atlas, I'll leave at that.
As noted above, if you enter the Sierras early I highly recommend purchasing the Tom Harrison maps.

Suttree
02-18-2011, 02:05
Apologies - I can't edit my original post, so I'll add here that the above comments refer to the PCT set not the JMT atlas.

P.S.
Dear Erik, I want to punch your website (http://johnmuirtrailmap.com/) in the face.
"Before you leave our website, please click the cancel button..."
HULK SMASH

The Other Tom
02-18-2011, 21:05
+1 for the Tom Harrison maps. Very nice maps.

tuswm
02-19-2011, 11:43
I received my JMT Atlas from Eric the Black after about 5 weeks. I live in Canada. The Atlas is excellent. The maps are the same scale as the Thompson John Muir Trail Mapbook, and the town maps are very usefull.

I have it, just got it over the winter. It has good maps, its small enough to fit in my cargo pocket of my hiking pants. It also has a lot of information about how to get on and off the trail and resupply. I plan on carrying it. If anyone wants a closer look at it skype me and Ill show you the book on video that way you can ask questions.

email: [email protected]

ncalcamper
03-25-2011, 21:24
I have the JMT Atlas and plan on using it. I agree with previous posts, size is same as Tom Harrison (just on more pages) and I like that it's pocket size, light weight, and all in one place! I already lost one of my TH maps - and I'm not even on the trail!

schnikel
03-27-2011, 15:56
Just got the Atlas the other day for my birthday. I must day that I am impressed with it. I originally bought it to give to my parents to they could track my progress on the trail this year but now I am considering giving them the Harrison maps and taking the atlas with me! It has everything you will want to know about the trail from water sources to camping possibilities to town info and maps. The 3-d hill shaded topo is kinda cool as well.
2 thumbs up for me, though a little pricey yes, it is however 30% off right now.
Schnikel

Penguin
03-27-2011, 23:15
THe Tom Harrison mapset for the JMT rocks, pretty much any thing he produces is excellent.. Check it out. Or look up Halfmile maps. Those are free and awesome available on line.