PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Tarp Tent Shelter...need feedback

Daydream Believer
05-19-2010, 21:56
OK, bear with me...I'm improvising right now. I'm headed out Friday for Franklin and doing a 7 day section hike. I ordered a Tarptent a few weeks ago; but due to backorders of the Moment, I have not gotten it in time...unless it shows up tomorrow and I'm not all that hopeful.I was worried this would happen when I found out how backordered they were a week ago, so I ordered an REI Quarterdome Solo thinking I could sell it used if I like the Moment better and use it on this hike. Pushing my hike back is not an option due to staff issues running my business, so I need to make this work.

Long story short, I'm not all that fond of the REI tent. It's tiny...itty bitty...and I'm not a big person. It also has practically no vestibule and I feel very cramped. I also remember what a nightmare it is to break a tent like this down in a downpour...it's impossible to do without getting the interior soaked...been there done that. :o That was one big reason I wanted a Moment anyway...ease of putting it up and down, more space, etc...as well as keeping my weight down.

Well, not much I can do about that at this point...so I pulled out my 8 x 10 siltarp we bought last winter and learned how to put it up. I think I did OK for a first timer and have some pics to show.

I wanted some sort of bug and floor protection so I hung up the interior of the Quarterdome like a mosquito net, staked my corners, and figured out how to rig it to stay more or less open...enough to sleep in anyway. My only concern is that the ends of the interior of the tent are close to the open sides of the tarp. What do you tarp users do about that in a driving downpour or wind blowing in rain through the sides? Also my little lines to hold the net open make it harder to get in and out but once I'm in for the night, it doesn't matter. Also...forgive this beginner question, but this nylon does not leak through in rain if something touches it does it?

What do you more experienced folks think? Will this work OK for me? This way I can leave the poles for the tent behind and save that weight. I figure this tarp (about 11 oz) my interior of the REI tent, and the stakes probably weigh 8 to 16 oz less than the REI Quarterdome did all together (3.0 lbs) and I have way way more room and shelter. I figure it will rain...it always does when I hike...can't do much about that! :D

Also this tarp has not been used before...do I need to do anything to the seam in the middle? Seal it? I ordered the seam sealing stuff with my Moment but I don't have it yet. Any thoughts?

Please forgive the setting...our front porch under construction...but we don't have any suitable trees to use.

From the side:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Misc/P5190004.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Misc/P5190003.jpg

On these you can see how I rigged the interior. I ran a line down the center and hung it up from there and found a short fiberglass/flexible piece to hold the top of the net open. The lines to the sides of the tarp keep the ends from collapsing in. They are pretty easy to take down to get in and out. I used tensioning lines from our other tent. It's not very neat right now...I was just putting it up fast before evening chores and wanted to see if it would work.

Anyway, I was kind of pleased how it worked out. Looks like plenty of room for my gear under there also and even to cook if I have to. The netting is not super tight as it is on the poles but it is open enough for me to sit up inside.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Misc/P5190005.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Misc/P5190002.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/Misc/P5190001.jpg

grayfox
05-19-2010, 23:02
DB, looks like you have a good start here.

You could try tying the line between the 'trees' using a trucker's hitch for a tight stretch, then putting your tarp over the line upside down and using the ties to attach to the net tent. Don't know if that makes sence to you-wish I had a picture.

The center seam will not leak if it is at the top. If you pitch it so the seam is on the side, put the felled side of the seam downstream of the water flow.

You may not need to support the net tent with so many attachment points. Try just keeping it up off your face and letting the foot end just lie on top of your bag.

If the weather is real bad, pitch your tarp small. It will be more wind resistant and a smaller footprint is easier to defend.

Have fun.

Daydream Believer
05-19-2010, 23:13
Thanks Grayfox. That does make sense. I was using a truckers hitch but I must not have gotten it tight enough on that square porch post...my topline is listing a bit to starboard there. ;-) I do get what you are saying about pitching it upside down also..great idea! I would not have though of it! I appreciate the bad weather tip also...that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again.

johnnyblisters
05-19-2010, 23:41
Looks good! You way want to try setting it up with the tarp lengthwise, I always like extra head and foot protection in foul weather.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2010, 07:34
That setup looks like trouble to me. Why don't you just take the tarp and skip that tent inner? Gooogle tarp setups...you can set up an 8X10 tarp into all sorts of bomber modes. Bugs aren't that bad down here yet. Just bring bug dope and a head net or bug screen to sleep under if bugs are bad. :)

Daydream Believer
05-20-2010, 13:39
Thanks all!

daddytwosticks....I wish I had a bug screen or head net but I don't. No time to order one now unfortunately and no where local to get anything. I truly hate bug dope on me...the smell, etc..so I think I'd rather drag this inner tent along for now until I can get a better netting.

Johnnyblisters...good idea! Thanks!

gungho
05-20-2010, 16:41
do you carry hiking poles.....if so i would practice that setup using the poles instead just in case, in becomes challenging to find the right spot to pitch your tarp

beakerman
05-20-2010, 16:54
well if you ahve the inner tent why not just bring the rain fly too...is it that much heavier that it's worth the trade for all those ropes? or is it just missing/dead?

Daydream Believer
05-20-2010, 19:29
gungho...yes I have hiking poles. I checked out how to set up the tarp that way also. Looks fairly simple. :-) Probably a better shelter that way in a storm also.

beakerman...I'm saving almost 2 lbs leaving the fly and poles and gaining more shelter with the tarp. That REI tent is really really small. Together my tarp and interior tent, stakes and line weigh 2.5 lbs. I'm seriously considering ditching the interior after weighing my pack a few minutes ago and just snuggling up with insects! I'm also beginning to understand the fixation of thruhikers of weight! ;-) My tarp alone weighs less than a lb. I'd probably drop to a lb for shelter without that interior tent. Brrr....decisions....

I may wait until I get up there and check with Ron Haven in Franklin and see if he thinks I'd be miserable without the netting or not. I'm going to be going over some tall hills like Standing Indian, Tray Mtn, etc...not low areas where bugs are generally too bad.

Part of my weight problem is how much food I'm carrying...for 7 days I've got a lot of food. For a shorter hike, keeping shelter weight down would not be so important as I'd have half the food.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice. I appreciate all of it.

gungho
05-20-2010, 19:41
what will be your total weight with food.....maybe their is other ways to cut weight??

Daydream Believer
05-20-2010, 22:12
gungho...right now I'm carrying about 7.5 lbs of food.

Here is my equipment list. I've checked it again and it's as close as I can be:

Tent/tarp 45.74
camera/I phone/cell/charger 29.20
stove 7.12
hygiene/first aid stuff/bug dope/advil, etc... 21.95
cooking pots 12.91 (that is two small titanium pots...one for heating water and one to use as a cup. Includes a spork and some camp suds for clean up (small little vial of it)
Steripen 6.50
fuel tank 14.75
Polarfleece coat 18.20
mattress 26.11
rainpants 8.08
raincoat 10.75
gaiters 5.14
Nalgene bottle 6.47
pants 8.95
camp towel 6.59
Shirt 7.33
underwear (1) 1.22
socks (1) 3.22
waterproof cover 3.23
toilet paper 4.37
sleeping bag 48.56
pack 68.00
water 64.00
428.39 total oz or 26.77 lbs

Food 7.5 lbs for a total of 34 lbs roughly...and figure I will consume about a lb of food a day more or less. Most of that is dried entrees, some tuna in pouches, power bars, a bit of coffee/sugar. No fluff in the food really...just basic stuff.

My hygiene stuff is really basic too...a tiny bit of soap, toothpaste, first aid, wipes, etc...

Electronics ARE heavy. I really need to stay in touch with home so the solar charger, Iphone are not negotiable. My husband wants me to take them. :o

The coat is a medium polarfleece. I thought about leaving it but thought I need something warmer than my backpacking clothes. Not sure if that's wasted weight or not?

I'll probably be wearing the gaiters but stuck them on my list anyway.

Thanks for looking it over. :)

grayfox
05-21-2010, 00:06
DB, just a couple of quick comments here-my opinions and your mileage may vary-I know it is down to the wire time wise.

Tent/tarp 45.74
stove 7.12
--think about alcohol for the future
--seems like a lot here
cooking pots 12.91 (that is two small titanium pots...one for heating water and one to use as a cup. Includes a spork and some camp suds for clean up (small little vial of it)
--just need one pot and a small plastic bowl with a lid
Steripen 6.50
fuel tank 14.75
--don't know what you use but for a week I usually need a liter of white gas
Polarfleece coat 18.20
--seems like your only insulation layer, better take it

mattress 26.11
--think ridge rest
rainpants 8.08
raincoat 10.75
gaiters 5.14
Nalgene bottle 6.47
--Need this for steripen? gatorade bottles are lighter
pants 8.95
-- just need one pair and maybe shorts
camp towel 6.59
--half is enough
Shirt 7.33
underwear (1) 1.22
--take two-they are small
socks (1) 3.22
--take two
waterproof cover 3.23
toilet paper 4.37
sleeping bag 48.56
--on the heavy side--lighter bag and long johns would be my choice
pack 68.00
--lots of lighter packs for a 35 lb load
water 64.00
--carried in what?

Food 7.5 lbs for a total of 34 lbs
--I would have about 1.5 lbs per day in summer--some fresh though

No hat? gloves, camp shoes

Seems like you could lighten your pack if you want to for next time. Hope you have a great hike.

gungho
05-21-2010, 01:05
gungho...right now I'm carrying about 7.5 lbs of food.

Here is my equipment list. I've checked it again and it's as close as I can be:

Tent/tarp 45.74
stove 7.12
Steripen 6.50
fuel tank 14.75
Polarfleece coat 18.20
mattress 26.11
rainpants 8.08
raincoat 10.75
gaiters 5.14
Nalgene bottle 6.47
pants 8.95
camp towel 6.59
Shirt 7.33
underwear (1) 1.22
socks (1) 3.22
waterproof cover 3.23
toilet paper 4.37
sleeping bag 48.56
pack 68.00
water 64.00

Food 7.5 lbs for a total of 34 lbs roughly...and figure I will consume about a lb of food a day more or less. Most of that is dried entrees, some tuna in pouches, power bars, a bit of coffee/sugar. No fluff in the food really...just basic stuff.

My hygiene stuff is really basic too...a tiny bit of soap, toothpaste, first aid, wipes, etc...

Electronics ARE heavy. I really need to stay in touch with home so the solar charger, Iphone are not negotiable. My husband wants me to take them. :o

The coat is a medium polarfleece. I thought about leaving it but thought I need something warmer than my backpacking clothes. Not sure if that's wasted weight or not?

I'll probably be wearing the gaiters but stuck them on my list anyway.

Thanks for looking it over. :)

looks like a good list......happy hiking

Daydream Believer
05-21-2010, 07:24
grayfox...hat will be on my head. I can take gloves well enough...wondered about that. No campshoes.

Thanks to both of you for reviewing my list. I will sure keep all you suggest in mind. :-)

gungho
05-21-2010, 09:32
grayfox...hat will be on my head. I can take gloves well enough...wondered about that. No campshoes.

Thanks to both of you for reviewing my list. I will sure keep all you suggest in mind. :-)

dont really need campshoes.....just loosen up your shoes at camp and change your socks

Franco
05-21-2010, 19:06
To keep your feet dry at camp carry some "bread bags" with you. Put dry socks on , the bag on top and you won't care if the shoes are wet.
(not for walking...)
Franco