PDA

View Full Version : Hammock or Tent

Mother Nature
05-19-2010, 22:02
Smokestack and I are planning on hiking New Hamphshire in July along with several friends. One of our group prefers to hammock but is uncertain if he should bring a tent or his hammock.

We are a slow moving group and will need to find camping where ever possible.

If you are knowledgable about New Hampshire and the terrain and can help advise whether it would be best for him to take a tent or bring is hammock please respond.

Mother Nature
05-20-2010, 03:58
Bump bump bump... still asking. Need answer.

amac
05-20-2010, 04:20
Last Sept, I did a week in the Whites with a hammock. No problem at all finding the requisite 2 tress. My daily plan was to stop around 4:00pm and start looking for my campsite. I think the most I spent looking was 5 minutes. Even if you're not doing the Whites, there's trees a plenty here in New England. Of course, it goes without saying, plan your hike to ensure you're not in the alpine zone at the end of a day.

Old Hiker
05-20-2010, 07:34

May not be too many White blazers up between 2200 and 0300. Probably get a LOT of input after 0700 today. I took to the skies (hammock) several years ago due to age of hips and back. I got a Clark Jungle Tropical. Best decision of my life. No more tossing, turning, rolling back and forth, etc. I've never been in a place without trees yet. Enjoy the hike!

Roland
05-20-2010, 18:56
Smokestack and I are planning on hiking New Hamphshire in July along with several friends. One of our group prefers to hammock but is uncertain if he should bring a tent or his hammock.

We are a slow moving group and will need to find camping where ever possible.

If you are knowledgable about New Hampshire and the terrain and can help advise whether it would be best for him to take a tent or bring is hammock please respond.

We've got plenty of trees, so your hammock friend should find a place to hang wherever you choose to pitch your tent.

The exception is Franconia Ridge and the Presidential Range, which are mostly above treeline. Given that you are slow moving and won't traverse these sections in a day, you may have to resort to a stay at Lakes or RMC camps.

If you prefer to avoid Lakes, here's an option that I've never seen mentioned on WB. Stay at Nauman Tentsite, adjacent to Mizpah Hut. The following day, hike to the summit of Washington and take the hiker shuttle down the Auto Road. There are plenty of spots to stealth camp near the base of the Auto Road, or hitch 7 miles to Gorham. The next day, take the hiker shuttle back to the summit and continue your Presidential traverse.

Enjoy your hike.

Blissful
05-20-2010, 19:10
My hubby loves his hammock. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you are prepared for every and any kind of weather, esp in the Whites (high winds, rain, sleet, cold, t-storms).

gungho
05-20-2010, 19:50

tent......dont want to be a bear pinata:eek:

Raul Perez
05-20-2010, 19:58
tent......dont want to be a bear pinata:eek:

Love these quotes... If a bear is knocking on your tent or hammock you are fairly screwed.

How much more of an advantage does a tent have over a hammock in that situation?

You still need to get to the zipper to open the door and if your rain fly is staked out you have to zipper that up too and crawl out while a bear is going to town on you.

So I really dont get it.

gungho
05-20-2010, 20:04
Love these quotes... If a bear is knocking on your tent or hammock you are fairly screwed.

How much more of an advantage does a tent have over a hammock in that situation?

You still need to get to the zipper to open the door and if your rain fly is staked out you have to zipper that up too and crawl out while a bear is going to town on you.

So I really dont get it.

bears expect food to be hanging above ground.......just saying

Raul Perez
05-20-2010, 20:22
bears expect food to be hanging above ground.......just saying

Bears also know what a human smells like.

General rule in bear country is bear bag your food a good distance away from you and dont bring any food into your tent or hammock and you should be just fine.

Also eat in a seperate location than where your tent/hammock is. I believe the general rule is 200 feet away from your sleeping quarters but I could be mistaken.

The only time I had any issue with any animals was when I violated that rule in a car camping situation and racoons were sniffing my butt because I had food attached to my hammock and my hands smelled like fish bait from fishing most of the night.

Raul Perez
05-20-2010, 20:24
When I said "foot attached to my hammock" I mean Food.... cant edit posts in this forum.

Roland
05-20-2010, 20:27
~
.... cant edit posts in this forum.

Actually, you can edit your posts, for a very small annual donation. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php)

gungho
05-20-2010, 21:21
have always slept with my food and never had a problem

Mother Nature
05-20-2010, 22:32
Thanks everyone. I am getting so excited about the trip. Just 400+ more miles to finish this trail!! Yippee.

kayak karl
05-20-2010, 22:37
i hammocked all of NH. not a problem, but why does a hammocker even own a tent:D

Connie
05-21-2010, 01:42
This is good enough for a sig:
The only time I had any issue with any animals was when I violated that rule in a car camping situation and raccoons were sniffing my butt because I had food attached to my hammock and my hands smelled like fish bait from fishing most of the night.There. I edited it for you!

Mother Nature
05-21-2010, 07:14
i hammocked all of NH. not a problem, but why does a hammocker even own a tent:D

Good one, Karl. I guess the same reason folks with contacts have backup glasses. LOL

Shutterbug
05-21-2010, 11:22

Why does a hammocker even own a tent? Some of us hike in places where hammocks are not allowed -- like the Grand Canyon corridor.