PDA

View Full Version : Which waterproofer do you like?

Joker4ink
05-20-2010, 10:27
I want to waterproof my MSR E-Wing and Kelty Teton 2 before I head out on the trail next month (not sure which I will be using yet). What do you guys like for waterproofing?

Wrangler88
05-20-2010, 10:54
For seam sealing, I use the tarp tent suggested method of silicone with mineral spirits mixed. 1 parts silicone to 2 parts spirits.

I've heard a lot of the premade stuff in tubes (say from REI, ect.) aren't that great because they're a little too thick.

You can read about it on the tarp tent website.

grayfox
05-20-2010, 12:01
Spray on silicone that you can get for about five to six dollars at most outdoor stores and walmart, works well for the outside (non-coated) side of fabrics.

You can mix silicone sealant with mineral spirits at about 1:10 parts and paint it on the floor of your tent for a non slip surface--this is too much for large tarps I think.

If you have a delaminating coating, like around the neck of rainwear and stretched tent corners, Recoat from REI and others, works well.

Seam sealing is messy and ugly. Try using a small piece of plastic bent in a flat 'U' shape. The fake cards from credit offers work well. File a small amount of plastic from the edge of the bottom of the 'U'. Lay the material on a flat surface, run a small bead of sealant along the seam, and use the plastic like a squeege to make a neat sealing job. Let dry and then use talcum powder to keep it from sticking to itself.

Hope one of these is what you were looking for.

Mountain Wildman
05-20-2010, 12:31
I used the G.E. Silicone II Household Glue diluted with Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner as recommended by Stephenson Warmlite for seam sealing my tent and the Atsko Silicone Water-Guard from the Camping section at Walmart to spray over the seam sealed areas of my tent. Haven't tested either yet but if it rains Memorial Day weekend I'll check for leaks. Stephenson has used the G.E. Silicone II for decades so as long as I did a good job it should be fine.

Dogwood
05-20-2010, 12:36
I assume that when you say you want to waterproof those shelters you mean seam sealing some key spots like the tie outs and ridgeline on the MSR E Wing and perhaps some stitched seams on the Kelty Teton 2. I'm not sure if anything has already been seam sealed on the E Wing. It probably hasn't, but give it a look before applying seam sealer. The Kelty Teton 2 already has factory seam taped seams on the tent floor and on the rain fly. You are not wanting to seam seal those if they are seam taped already.

First, set up your shelters to make the fabric and seams taut and the seam sealer easier to penetrate. The idea is to work neatly but still work the seam sealer into the places of possible leaks like stitching holes. Diluting your seam sealer with the appropriate thinner helps to do this. When seam sealing apply the seam sealer to the seams on the inside of those shelters on the shiny side of the siliconized(already waterproofed ) nylon(silny).

I have seam sealed my shelters two different ways. I have done what Henry Shires, and others, have recommended, that is, use GE Silicone II caulk diluted w/mineral spirits. This makes for a very penetrable thin seam sealer for those wishing to use the least amount. It makes a very clear seam that if not overly applied doesn't yellow, flake off, is good in a wide range of temps any hiker might expect, and will probably outlast the life of your shelter to which it was applied. I apply it with a 1/4 -1/2 inch wide artist's paint brush. One tube of cauk and one small can of mineral spirits willl seam seal many shelters/pieces of gear or leave you with much excess seam sealing materials. Not only does it take more time gathering the materials and preparing the seam sealer this way, but it can also be more expensive than simply buying a product meant for seam sealing. This is for the do it yourself types.

Mcnetts Seam Sealer is the other product I've used. It works fine if applied in the same way as above. Don't over apply it - to thick and it can flake/peel off. I've not felt the need to dilute this product. I feel it's thin enough for my use, although McNett does sell a thinner/accelerant that can be used with it. Comes in a convenient ready to use tube with a handy appicator brush.

Joker4ink
05-20-2010, 14:35
The E-Wing is not seam sealed and I'll have to check on the Teton. I just want to do my best to keep the water from permeating the fabric and stay dry.

Joker4ink
05-24-2010, 17:37
I used the G.E. Silicone II Household Glue diluted with Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner as recommended by Stephenson Warmlite for seam sealing my tent and the Atsko Silicone Water-Guard from the Camping section at Walmart to spray over the seam sealed areas of my tent. Haven't tested either yet but if it rains Memorial Day weekend I'll check for leaks. Stephenson has used the G.E. Silicone II for decades so as long as I did a good job it should be fine.

I was actually given a can of the Atsko Silicone Water-Guard yesterday and plan to test it out. My only concern is it yellowing and/or flaking off. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Toolshed
05-24-2010, 17:43
The spray on silicon water "proofing" is simply a water repellency measure and not even durable. And Not waterproofing. Go through a downpour and it will end up washed off the fabric. If you have $6 to waste, get a can and spray down your tarp or tent or whatever and turn teh garden hose onto it for a few hours and you'll see what I mean.